The Cisco Jabber® platform is a unified communications application that lets you be more productive from anywhere on a broad array of devices. Find the right people, see if and how they are available, and collaborate using your preferred method.
Today’s global, distributed work environment has resulted in significant challenges for workers, making it harder to connect with the right people and significantly increasing the quantity and modes of communications. Organizations of all sizes are striving to improve communications in order to retain customers, compete for new business, control costs, and grow their business globally.
The Cisco Jabber platform streamlines communications and enhances productivity by unifying presence, instant messaging, video, voice, voice messaging, screen sharing, and conferencing capabilities securely into one client on your desktop. Cisco Jabber for Mac delivers highly secure, clear, and reliable communications. It offers flexible deployment models, the platform is built on open standards, and it integrates with commonly used desktop applications. With the Cisco Jabber application, you can communicate and collaborate effectively from anywhere you have an Internet connection (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Cisco Jabber for Mac
Features and Benefits
Reduce Communication Delays with Presence and Contact Information
The Cisco Jabber application enables you to see the availability of co-workers and colleagues within and outside your organization. You can immediately see who is offline, available, away, on a call, or in a do-not-disturb state. You can create customized availability states, such as “in a customer meeting”, to provide added context. Contact cards provide additional contact information and multiple options for initiating communications. These capabilities help reduce communication delays and result in faster decision making and enhanced productivity.
Quickly Communicate with Borderless Enterprise-Class Instant Messaging
Instant messaging is an important communication option that lets you efficiently interact in today’s multitasking business environment. The Cisco Jabber platform delivers enterprise-class instant messaging capabilities that are based on the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP). The solution provides personal, group chat and persistent chat rooms so you can quickly connect with your business colleagues. Chat history and server-based logging capabilities allow you to view the content of prior chats and to store messages for convenience, compliance, and regulation purposes. Instant messaging is integrated with other communication capabilities so you can simply move between chats, audio conversations, and web conferences. You can even share presence and send instant messages to people outside your organization who may not be using Cisco Jabber. The enterprise-class instant messaging capabilities of the Cisco Jabber platform provide more efficient, highly secure, flexible, and borderless collaboration.
Bring Business-Class IP Telephony to the Desktop
The Cisco Jabber platform delivers business-quality voice and video to your desktop. Powered by the market-leading Cisco® Unified Communications Manager call-control solution, it is a soft phone with wideband and high-fidelity audio, standards-based high-definition video (720p), and desk phone control features. These features mean that high-quality and high-availability voice and video telephony is available at all locations and to users’ desk phones, soft clients, and mobile devices. The Cisco Jabber solution makes voice communications simple, clear, and reliable (Figure 2).
Figure 2. High-Definition Video with Integrated Audio Controls
Accelerate Team Performance with Multiparty Conferencing and Collaboration
The Cisco Jabber platform provides for smooth escalation to desktop sharing or Cisco WebEx® conferencing and collaboration solutions. You can instantly share documents and expand chats and conversations to multiparty voice, video, and web conferencing.
Collaborate from Common Business Applications
You can access the capabilities of the Cisco Jabber application from common desktop applications such as Microsoft Outlook, including lighting up presence and click-to-communicate (instant message and audio and video calling) capabilities. With Microsoft Outlook, you can use the Microsoft contact card click‑to-communicate icons directly from within the application to save time and streamline workflows, because you can view user availability and initiate communications such as personal and group voice, video, and chat sessions without having to switch between applications. Accelerate Adoption with an Intuitive User Experience Built for the Mac.
The Cisco Jabber platform delivers unified communications to the desktop through an engaging user interface. The intuitive visual design promotes adoption of basic as well as advanced capabilities and integrates communications into the natural workflow to deliver the efficiency and productivity promised by unified communications. Availability information and communication options are available throughout the application, such as in the visual-voicemail and chat interfaces, enabling more efficient real-time collaboration. Cisco Jabber for Mac is built specifically for Mac users, with a familiar Mac user interface as well as integrations into Mac OS X services.
Table 1 outlines features and benefits of Cisco Jabber 11.9.
Table 1. Features and Benefits
Use a single, intuitive interface for instant messaging with individuals and groups, IP telephony, soft-phone voice and video, visual voicemail, voice and web conferencing, desktop sharing, communication history, and integrated directories.
View real-time availability of co-workers and colleagues within and outside the enterprise network.
● Exchange and display presence availability information and instant messages with other Cisco Jabber users, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, the Cisco WebEx Connect® solution, Microsoft Office Communicator and Lync, IBM Lotus Sametime, AOL, GoogleTalk, and many other XMPP-compatible clients.
● Exchange presence information with mobile handsets using Cisco Jabber or third-party XMPP-compatible clients.
● Display customized availability messages.
● Your status is updated automatically when you are in a Cisco WebEx meeting or sharing an application.
● Show your availability based on the free and busy status in your Microsoft Outlook Calendar or Exchange Server.2
● Set alerts to be notified when your contacts become available.
Enterprise instant messaging
Chat in real time using instant messaging to save time and reduce phone tag. Several chat modes are supported, ranging from:
● Point-to-point chat with co-workers inside your network, or supported federated business and personal contacts.
● Group chat, which enables multiple colleagues to communicate and collaborate in a single discussion.
● Instant messages sent to offline contacts1; they will receive them when they connect to the application.
● Chat Rooms, enabling persistent chat among distributed teams1.
● Personal instant messaging history for your reference.
Cisco Spark/Jabber Interop2
Enables basic messaging between Cisco Spark and Jabber clients. Supported for users with access to the Cisco WebEx Messenger™ service.
Look up contacts quickly. Predictive search provides suggestions for you as you type in a search query and indexes your contact list, recent contacts, Mac Address Book, and your company directory.
Choose the right communication tool for your situation. Escalate from a chat to an audio or video call, desktop share, or web meeting. Media escalations are as easy as clicking a button.
Integrated voice telephony
Exchange ideas face-to-face by using the Cisco Jabber solution as a soft phone, or you can choose to control your Cisco IP desk phone.
● Make, receive, and control your phone calls whether you are in or out of the office, with number or Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) Uniform Resource Identifier (URI)-based dialing. Click to call directly from your contact list without the need to look up phone numbers.
● Business-quality video communication up to high-definition and high-fidelity wideband audio is supported.
● Standards-based video means you are not restricted to collaboration with just other Jabber® clients. You can use voice, video, and even desktop sharing when interacting with telepresence endpoints and room-based and multipoint video conferencing systems.
● A variety of call-control options are available, including mute, call forwarding, and impromptu conferencing.
● The enterprise-class IP telephony reliability and failover features of Cisco Unified Communications Manager are supported.
Jabber to Jabber calling
Jabber to Jabber calling provides basic voice and video calling capabilities between different Cisco Jabber clients without registering to Cisco Unified Communications Manager. Jabber to Jabber calling is supported for users with access to the Cisco WebEx Messenger™ service.
Jabber to Jabber calling feature allows users to:
● Make a Jabber to Jabber call
● Answer a Jabber to Jabber call
● End a Jabber to Jabber call
● Mute or unmute the audio
● Start or stop the video
● Volume control
● Open, close, or move the self-video
Initiate multiparty voice and web meetings.
● Group chat and audio conference sessions are as simple as clicking a button, eliminating the need to use other applications and interfaces to schedule, invite, or join conferences.
● Initiate a web meeting session directly from the Cisco Jabber client, using Cisco WebEx meeting applications to share content, such as a presentation, document, or your desktop.
● Cisco Jabber provides support for Cisco Collaboration Meeting Rooms (CMR) Cloud using both SIP for video and HTTP for Cisco WebEx.
Far End Camera Control
Cisco Jabber allows users to control cameras that support remote control. Users can zoom, pan, and tilt the camera.
Access a history of your instant messaging conversations.
Visual voice message access
View, play back, and delete voice messages from Cisco Unity® Connection.
Mac OS X integration
Built for Mac OS X, the Cisco Jabber platform provides a host of integrations for an immersive experience on the Mac, including:
● Mac Address Book: Place calls to your contacts from Address Book or search and call these contacts directly from the Cisco Jabber application.
● Support for Growl notifications.
● Status menu: The Cisco Jabber application provides a status menu in the main menu bar that is always available whenever the application is running, even if it is not the foremost application. You can set presence; place, answer, and manage phone calls; and perform predictive searches, all without leaving the active application and with a simple key combination.
● Services integration: Take full advantage of the Mac OS X services integration to make a call using the Cisco Jabber platform directly from supported Mac OS X applications, including Safari, Firefox, Mail, Calendar, Word 2011, and more.
Microsoft Outlook integration
See user availability and click to initiate chat sessions or voice and video calls, or save chat to an Outlook folder directly from Microsoft Outlook, including:
● Microsoft Outlook 20163
● Microsoft Exchange Online (Outlook 365), with installed Outlook desktop client
Instant messaging communications are encrypted, using up to 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and Transport Layer Security/Secure Sockets Layer (TLS/SSL) connections. Signaling and media are also encrypted.
Single Sign-On (SSO)
Single Sign-On allows Cisco Jabber users to securely access all Jabber services without being prompted to log into each of them separately. The Cisco Jabber application uses authentication performed by the corporate Identity Provider. The Identity Provider can control the authentication experience for Cisco Jabber users; for example, by prompting users for their enterprise username and password once when the Cisco Jabber application is first run and by specifying the length of time a user is authorized to use Cisco Jabber services.
The Cisco Jabber application uses the Security Assertion Markup Language (SAML), which is an XML-based open standard data format that enables access to a defined set of Cisco services transparently after verifying credentials with an Identity Provider. SAML Single Sign-On can be enabled for Cisco WebEx Messenger Services, Cisco Unified Communications Manager, and Cisco Unity Connection. SSO is deployed for use with Cisco Jabber clients using service discovery.
Enterprise policy management
Set granular policies to determine which features and capabilities can or cannot be accessed by your Cisco Jabber end users.
Flexible deployment models
Cisco Jabber for Mac can be deployed on-premises or on-demand, offering IT departments the flexibility to choose the model that best suits their business. When deployed on-demand, IT administrators can push client upgrades automatically to users.
Bulgarian, Catalan, Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Finnish, French (France), German, Greek, Hungarian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese (Brazil), Portuguese (Portugal), Romanian, Russian, Serbian, Slovak, Slovenian, Spanish (Spain), Swedish, Thai, and Turkish.
1 Feature available in on-premises deployment only.
2 Before enabling the Jabber to Jabber calling or the Cisco Spark/Jabber Interop features, the administrator must contact Cisco Customer Support or the assigned Cisco Customer Success Manager to migrate users from the Cisco WebEx Messenger Server to the Cisco Common Identity Server.
3 Requires Outlook 2016 version 15.33 or later.
Table 2 outlines system requirements for the Cisco Jabber platform.
Table 2. System Requirements
300 MB of available disk space
Intel Core 2 Duo or later processors in any of the following Apple hardware:
● Mac Pro
● MacBook Pro (including Retina Display model)
● MacBook Air
● Mac Mini
2 GB of RAM
Apple macOS Sierra 10.12 (or later)
Apple OS X El Capitan 10.11 (or later)
Table 3 outlines system requirements for Cisco Unified Communications.
Table 3. Cisco Unified Communications System Requirements
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Standard and Business Editions)
● 10.0(1) or later 10.1(0) releases
● 9.1(2) or later
Cisco Unified Presence
Cisco Unified Presence (Cisco Unified Communications Manager IM and Presence Service) 8.6 (2) or later
Contact Search Services
● Cisco WebEx Messenger™ Contact Service
● Microsoft Active Directory 2008 R2
● Microsoft Active Directory 2003 R2
● Open Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP) 2.4 or later
● Active Directory Lightweight Directory Service (AD LDS) or Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM)
● Cisco Unified Communications Manager User Data Service (UDS) with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 9.1(2) or later
Cisco Unified IP Phones
(computer telephony integration [CTI]-enabled)
● Cisco Unified IP Phone 9900 Series
● Cisco Unified IP Phone 8900 Series
● Cisco Unified IP Phone 7900 Series
● Cisco Unified IP Phone 6900 Series
● Cisco TelePresence® MCU 4500 Series
● Cisco TelePresence Server 7010
● Cisco TelePresence Server 8000
● Cisco Unified Videoconferencing 7.0 5115
● Cisco WebEx Meeting Center
◦ XML API 5.8
● WebEx Meeting Server (CWMS) 2.0 +
● Cisco Unity Connection 9.1(2) or later
Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony (SRST)
Cisco Jabber for Mac supports the following features with Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony Version 8.5 or later:
● Basic call functions
● Ability to hold and resume calls
Cisco Jabber for Mac supports Cisco Expressway E version 8.1.1 or later and Cisco Expressway C version 8.1.1 or later
Find warranty information on Cisco.com at the Product Warranties page.
Cisco Jabber for Mac is a single client that can connect to either the Cisco Collaboration Cloud or the Cisco Unified Presence server for IM and presence. The ordering mechanism will vary based on the deployment model selected.
To order Cisco Jabber for Mac hosted in the Cisco Collaboration Cloud, please review the WebEx Global Price List.
To order Cisco Jabber for Mac deployed on the Cisco Unified Presence server, please visit the Cisco Ordering Home Page.
Cisco Jabber for Mac is a part of Cisco Unified Workspace licensing. Please visit https://www.cisco.com/go/workspace_licensing for more information and to determine whether Cisco Unified Workspace licensing is appropriate for your organization.
To download software, visit the Cisco Software Center.
Cisco Unified Communications Services
Cisco and our certified partners can help you deploy a highly secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications Solution so you can meet aggressive deployment schedules and accelerate your business advantage. The Cisco portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks.
The unique Cisco lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the solution lifecycle. Customized planning and design services focus on creating a solution that meets your business needs. Award-winning technical support increases operational efficiency. Remote management services simplify
day-to-day operations, and optimization services enhance solution performance as your business needs change.
Financing to Help You Achieve Your Objectives
Cisco Capital can help you acquire the technology you need to achieve your objectives and stay competitive. We can help you reduce CapEx. Accelerate your growth. Optimize your investment dollars and ROI. Cisco Capital financing gives you flexibility in acquiring hardware, software, services, and complementary third-party equipment. And there’s just one predictable payment. Cisco Capital is available in more than 100 countries. Learn more.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco Jabber application, please visit https://www.cisco.com/go/jabber or contact your local Cisco account representative.