Operators of optical transport networks are increasingly focused on time to revenue, service velocity, flexible service-level agreements (SLAs), preemptive service assurance, and continuous reduction in operations cost. Recognizing these objectives, Cisco offers Cisco Transport Manager, the industry's most advanced optical transport domain manager. Cisco Transport Manager provides advanced network management capabilities to take advantage of the full power of the Cisco ONS 15000 Series Optical Networking System products. Cisco Transport Manager resides within the element management and network management layers (EML and NML) of the Telecommunications Management Network (TMN) model. Cisco Transport Manager provides industry-standard interfaces to integrate into an overall network management solution working with other Operations Support Systems (OSSs) developed by Cisco, Cisco partners, third parties, and customers.
Given the increasing importance of network management in achieving efficiencies, cost reduction, and improved service offerings, Cisco is committed to continuously improving and enhancing Cisco Transport Manager. The new features available in Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2 are evidence of this commitment. The following is a list of the major new features that have been implemented in Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2:
- Full management support for the latest releases of Cisco Optical Networking Systems—Cisco ONS 15800 Releases 1.5 and 1.6; Cisco ONS 15801 Releases 1.3 and 1.4; Cisco ONS 15454 Release 3.0; Cisco ONS 15327 Release 1.0.1; and Cisco ONS 15200 Release 1.0.
- Native Cisco Transport Manager graphical user interface (GUI) for fault, configuration, performance, and security management of the Cisco ONS 15801
- Enhancements to NE Explorer to accommodate the Cisco ONS 15801
- Native Cisco Transport Manager GUI for fault and inventory management of the Cisco ONS 15200
- Enhancements to provide read-only access to the network-element explorer for the Cisco ONS 15200; support is limited to node/subrack views and alarm status
- GateWay/Transaction Language One (TL1) enhancements
- GateWay/Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) enhancements
- GateWay/Common Object Request Broker Architecture (CORBA) functionality
- Fully compliant with TMF standards
- Support for up to four simultaneous GateWay/CORBA sessions with higher-layer OSSs
- GateWay/CORBA functionality added for Cisco ONS 15801 Release 1.5
- GateWay/CORBA functionality added for Cisco ONS 15801 Releases 1.4 and 1.5
- GateWay/CORBA functionality added for Cisco ONS 15454 Releases 2.1.3, 2.2, 2.2.1, 2.2.2, and 3.0
- GateWay/CORBA functionality added for Cisco ONS 15327 Releases 1.0 and 1.0.1
- Platform enhancements
Cisco Transport Manager has been evaluated and deployed in a large number of customer environments. Customer feedback and Cisco's testing group help identify areas of improvement, ultimately driving product quality and enhanced functionality. Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2.1 is a maintenance release designed to further strengthen the overall quality of Cisco Transport Manager software and track with recently released network-element maintenance releases. The following highlighted issues and improvements have been made in Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2.1 (refer to the Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2.1 Release Notes for a complete listing of caveats resolved in Release 2.2.1).
- Added support for the Cisco ONS 15454 Release 3.0.2
- Added support for the Cisco ONS 15454 Release 3.0.3
- Added Pentium 4 support for Windows-based Cisco Transport Manager clients
- Improved robustness and reliability of Cisco ONS 15454 memory backup (DDTS numbers: CSCdu62259, CSCdv34829)
- Correct Cisco ONS 15454 performance-monitoring data-collection issues (DDTS number: CSCdv32784)
- Minor GateWay/TL1 corrections impacting the domain manager mode of operation (DDTS numbers: CSCdv61280, CSCdv61301)
- Correction of Cisco ONS 15200 alarm-handling issues (DDTS numbers: CSCdv66256, CSCdv66257)
Customers using Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.1, 2.1.1, or 2.2 with a valid permanent license can upgrade to Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2.1 under the provisions of the warranty at no additional cost. The software is available at http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/optical/ctm.shtml.
Because Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2.1 is a maintenance release, there are no new product codes specifically for Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2.1. Instead use the existing Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2 product and part numbers provided in Table 1. The licenses included in the product and part numbers listed in the table are also valid for Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2.1. Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2.1 software is available via software download from: http://www.cisco.com/public/sw-center/optical/ctm.shtml.
Table 1 Product and Part Numbers
For more information on Cisco Transport Manager Release 2.2, go to http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/nemnsw/ctm/prodlit/ctmd_ds.htm