This product bulletin describes new features introduced in Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(DA). Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(DA) is the first release for the CISCO 6160 DSL Access Concentrator platform.
This product bulletin describes:
- Release 12.1(DA) overview and availability
- Release 12.1(DA) functionality
- Related Documentation
Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(DA) is required to support Cisco's 6160 DSL Access Concentrator and should only be used for customers who are using the Cisco 6160.
Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(DA) will receive regular maintenance like all other Major Releases. Note that 12.1(DA) will be a limited life release, with regular maintenance and support only available until the introduction of a future mainline IOS release at which time all customers running 12.1(DA) will be required to be upgraded to the mainline release for regular maintenance and support.
- The first release of IOS Software Release 12.1(DA) is May 2000.
- Electronic Transfer availability from CCO is June 2000.
- Future maintenance releases will also be available from CCO.
- Note that no media based shipments are not planned at this time and 12.1(DA) is only available through CCO.
The Cisco 6160 DSL Access Multiplexer is an ATM-based DSL Access Concentrator. Cisco IOS Release 12.1(DA) runs on the Network Interface-2 card (NI-2) of the 6160 enabling it to be configured and managed using the Cisco IOS command line interface (CLI) features and capabilities and/or through a separate element management application. Note that the 6160 does not support Layer 3 routing or networking capabilities for user data flow. Specifically, the Cisco IOS Software Release 12.1(DA) feature support for the 6160 includes:
- Support for the Cisco IOS command line interface (CLI).
- SNMP agent and MIB support for managing the platform through an optional element manager software application (Cisco DSL Manager.
- Configuration of all 6160 interfaces (DSL, WAN, and subtend interfaces) and all system-wide parameters
- UNI 3.1/4.0 signaling support
- UNI 3.1/4.0 traffic management support
- Monitoring of status and traffic flow for each interface
- Display, investigation and disabling of critical, major, and minor alarms
- Maintenance and test support for isolation and resolution of problems
- Support for 6160 alarm relay contacts and environmental monitoring of key system resources
Product Release Notes for the 6160 and Cisco IOS Release 12.1(DA) can be found on CCO The following Cisco 6160 user documentation is available on CCO:
- Configuration Guide for Cisco 6000 Family DSLAMs with NI-2
- Command Reference for Cisco 6000 Family DSLAMs with NI-2
- Cisco 6160 Hardware Installation and Troubleshooting Guide
- NI-2 Card Installation and Configuration for the Cisco 6160
- ATUC-Flexi Card Installation and Configuration for the Cisco 6160
- Cisco 6160 Release Notes for Cisco IOS Release 12.1(DA)
- ATM Switch Router Software Configuration Guide
- ATM Switch Router Command Reference Guide
- Guide to ATM Technology