Checking Conditions Prior to System Startup
Ensure that the following conditions are addressed before starting up the router:
- The Route Switch Processor (RSP) is installed.
- The optional Gigabit Ethernet Management port cable is installed.
- The chassis is securely mounted and grounded.
- The power and interface cables are connected.
- Your PC with terminal emulation program (hyperTerminal or equivalent) is connected to the console port and powered up.
- Your PC terminal emulation program is configured for 9600 baud, 8 data bits, 1 stop-bit, no parity, and flow control is set to none.
- You have selected passwords for access control.
- Captive installation screws are tight on all removable components.
- The console terminal is turned on.
- You have determined the IP addresses for the Ethernet and serial interfaces.
- Empty card slots or card bays are filled with card blanks. This ensures proper air flow through the chassis and electromagnetic compatibility (EMC).