This document describes how to upgrade Cisco Meeting Server (CMS) version 2.x to Cisco Meeting Server version 3.0. The only supported upgrade is from CMS 2.9.x to CMS 3.0. If you run any version earlier than CMS 2.9, you must step-upgrade to CMS 2.9 before you proceed to CMS 3.0.
Only CMS 1000, CMS 2000, and CMS VM can be upgraded to 3.0. X-Series servers cannot be upgraded to 3.0. See Replace X-series servers with Cisco Meeting Server appliance or Virtual Machine for guidance on how to replace X-Series servers with Cisco Meeting Servers.
Before you upgrade your deployment to CMS 3.x, review Guidance for Smooth Upgrade from Cisco Meeting Server 2.9 to 3.0 (and Onwards) to help you prepare for the many changes that are in CMS 3.x:
Cisco recommends that you have knowledge of these topics:
- CMS general configuration
- Secure File Transfer Protocol (SFTP) client
- Secure Shell (SSH) client
The information in this document is based on CMS server version 2.x.
The information in this document was created from the devices in a specific lab environment. All of the devices used in this document started with a cleared (default) configuration. If your network is live, ensure that you understand the potential impact of any command.
Step 1. Download the CMS Upgrade Image from Cisco Downloads
If your current version is earlier than 2.9, download the upgrade files to step-upgrade to 3.0 (for example, 2.5.4 > 2.6.4 > 2.7.1 > 2.8.4 > 2.9.7).
- Download the new software version from the Software Download page.
- Navigate to the CMS software repository down this path: Downloads Home > Conferencing Video > Conferencing Multiparty > Conferencing Meeting Server > Meeting Server 1000.
- Find Cisco_Meeting_Server_3_0_vm-upgrade.zip and download it to your computer.
Step 2. Unzip the File and Rename the Upgrade Image
Unzip the file and rename it as upgrade.img:
Step 3. Upload the Upgrade Image to the CMS Server
You can use the SFTP client of your preference. In the next image you see an example of connection settings in Filezilla.
Once you have a session established to CMS, upload the upgrade.img file to the CMS server.
Step 4. Take a Backup and Perform the Upgrade
You can use the SSH client of your preference.
- Run the next command to confirm the current version.
- Prepare a backup and download it.
cmscore.cmspod01.mxc.lab> backup snapshot sep_2020
sep_2020.bak ready for download
- Use your SFTP client and store the file in a safe place.
- Run the next command to instruct the CMS to start the upgrade.
Note: After the command is run, the CMS is upgraded and rebooted by itself and any active call in this node is dropped. Verify that there are no active calls before you continue.
This output is expected.
Upgrade image 3.0 is valid
Initiating a backup, please wait...
Waiting for server to stop...
Upgrading from image /volatile/upgrade.img
Mounting /boot read/write
Mounting /persist read/write
Installing new images
Step 5. Reboot the CMS Server
As part of the upgrade process, the CMS performs a reboot itself.
In order to corroborate the new version, run the next command once the CMS server is back online.