The documentation set for this product strives to use bias-free language. For the purposes of this documentation set, bias-free is defined as language that does not imply discrimination based on age, disability, gender, racial identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality. Exceptions may be present in the documentation due to language that is hardcoded in the user interfaces of the product software, language used based on RFP documentation, or language that is used by a referenced third-party product. Learn more about how Cisco is using Inclusive Language.
You’ve obviously heard a lot about the cloud, but you haven’t decided to jump in yet with both feet. There are a lot of reasons why you might not want to completely disrupt your network to do so, but the next time you update your network, look to the Cisco Catalyst™ Wi-Fi 6E access points as your pathway to the cloud.
Through the evolution of Cisco’s wireless portfolio comes the next generation of 6GHz Wi-Fi, Cisco Catalyst 9166, 9166D1, 9164, 9162, and the outdoor 9163E Series Access Points. These access points give you the flexibility to manage your wireless network on premises or in the cloud. With reliability, security, and applied AI with the choice to network your way with on-prem and cloud options, the Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points provide the best of both worlds while delivering flexibility and performance to meet your most critical network requirements.
Cisco understands that selecting your next platform is not an easy choice. With the Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points, you don’t need to make the decision now. Keep the operational mode you use today, whether on premises or cloud management. If your needs change-either way-it’s an easy switch. No new hardware required. That’s investment protection for your network that you can count on.
The Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points are the perfect fit for your hybrid work deployment. Hybrid work is all about creating safe, immersive work experiences that foster collaboration, ideation, and innovation. The Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points deliver the performance and features to optimize the hybrid work experience.
Meet the models
Each access point has a slightly different makeup. The goal is to help you make better product selections for your unique network requirements:
● Cisco Catalyst 9166 offers three 4x4 radios and environmental sensors that measure air quality, temperature, and humidity. This AP is perfect for large and medium-sized mission critical organizations.
● Cisco Catalyst 9166D1 offers three 4x4 radios and environmental sensors that measure air quality, temperature, and humidity. This AP comes with integrated directional antennas and is perfect for use in areas with high ceilings or long corridors.
● Cisco Catalyst 9164 offers one 2x2 radio and two 4x4 radios suiting medium and small-sized organizations.
● Cisco Catalyst 9162 is the entry-level Cisco solution for Wi-Fi 6E. It offers three 2x2 radios and is a good option for small-sized organizations.
● Cisco Catalyst 9163E rounds out the Cisco Wi-Fi 6E portfolio with a weatherized enclosure for outdoor Wi-Fi 6E use. It offers three 2x2 radios, a scan radio, and IoT radio. It is a good option for those who need to extend their Wi-Fi 6E deployments outdoors.* To enable 6GHz Wi-Fi on the CW9163E, AFC is a requirement.
● All Cisco Wi-Fi 6E APs are capable of 6GHz Standard Power operation.
The access points below round out Cisco’s indoor Wi-Fi 6E access point line up:
● Cisco Catalyst 9136 offers two 4x4 radios, one 8x8, and one IoT radio environmental sensors that measure air quality, temperature, and humidity. This AP is perfect for large-sized mission critical organizations with high-density requirements. This access point is strictly controller-based and cannot be switched Cloud managed like the Catalyst 9160 APs.
● Meraki MR57 is cloud managed and offers three 4x4 radios. It is well suited for large-sized mission critical organizations with high-density requirements. This access point is strictly Cloud-based and cannot switch to be on-premises managed like the Catalyst 9160 APs.
But it’s not all deployment and management choice; with Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E Access Points you get increased capacity with higher-density capabilities for high-performance networks. It’s these networks that are powering today’s use cases including smart buildings, industrial IoT, telemedicine, and more.
Flexibility: Gives you the choice of on-premises or cloud management.
Simplicity: Cloud-first IT operational simplicity with Meraki cloud management on Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points.
Increased capacity: Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points deliver the capacity, speed, and security to optimize your wireless experiences.
From the branch to the campus to large enterprises, the Catalyst 9100 family is the leader in the access point market. It offers unparalleled capabilities that meet new performance demands for next-generation applications with Wi-Fi 6/6E.
Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points deliver connectivity in the 2.4- and 5-GHz bands as well as 6 GHz for compatible devices. Wi-Fi 6E offers greater capacity for more devices with more reliable connections, plus more robust security thanks to stronger Wi-Fi Protected Access 3 (WPA3) encryption.
The Cisco Catalyst 9166, 9166D1, 9164, 9162, and outdoor 9163E Series Access Points all use tri-band radios to connect devices of all types. In addition, they deliver advanced IoT capabilities with integrated Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) and application hosting. On the Cisco Catalyst 9166 and 9136 Series, you get built-in environmental sensors that integrate temperature, air quality, and humidity information to assist with your building health and safety strategy.
With the Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points, you get capabilities based on decades of experience and innovation. This includes long-standing industry leadership with standards bodies and work with ecosystem partners to deliver next-generation features for your modern network needs.
● Intelligence: Through data from tens of millions of cloud-managed devices, Cisco’s platforms are continuously evolving and extending intelligence (AI/ML) to automate identification and, when necessary, resolution of access networking issues.
● Any operational model: A unified access networking portfolio with built-in security that brings together the broadest wireless portfolio (Wi-Fi 6E) under any operational model, on-premises or cloud.
● Ecosystem partners: Cisco has the industry’s most extensive ecosystem of technology partners to address emerging use cases such as location analytics, extended reality, industrial IoT, and more.
The Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points use the power of access network automation platforms like the Meraki dashboard and Cisco DNA Center to radically simplify operations, making it easier to embrace change and optimize user experiences.
Additionally, features such as Band Steering make the most of your Wi-Fi 6E network by intelligently steering devices to the high-performance 6-GHz band. And Cisco CleanAir® Pro protects your network from the impact of wireless interference.
Either way you chose, on-premises with Cisco DNA or in the cloud with Meraki Dashboard, the Cisco Catalyst Wi-Fi 6E access points deliver the performance of Wi-Fi 6E and the capabilities and flexibility to support your network now and into the future.
For more information, check out the Cisco Catalyst 9100 Access Points page.