The Cisco® SFS 7000P InfiniBand Server Switch sets the standard for cost-effective 10 Gbps (4X), low-latency InfiniBand switching for building high-performance clusters.
High-performance computing (HPC) applications that solve complex, computationally intensive problems are widely deployed within academic and research communities and enterprises as they deliver significant business benefits. A key enabler for the broad adoption of HPC applications is the practice of clustering multiple industry-standard servers using a high-speed network to provide supercomputer performance, at a fraction of the cost of traditional supercomputers.
The Cisco SFS 7000P is a new class of data center infrastructure that delivers scalable, high-performance, low-latency server switching to enable industry-standard servers to form high-performance clusters and grids that deliver the full potential of HPC applications.
The Cisco SFS 7000P delivers an ideal combination of price, performance, and packaging for building high-performance server clusters
of all sizes. The Cisco SFS 7000P (Figure 1) provides 24 ports of 10-Gbps server connectivity and fully nonblocking 480-Gbps
cross-sectional bandwidth with less than 200 nanoseconds (ns) of port-to-port latency. The Cisco SFS 7000P comes with the embedded Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager, which is capable of running large clusters in a single, compact 1-rack-unit (1-RU) chassis.
Figure 1. Cisco SFS 7000P InfiniBand Server Switch
The Cisco SFS 7000P provides the following customer benefits:
• Superior price and performance for building high-performance computing clusters
• Ideal form factor for top-of-rack switch for small HPC clusters or as part of a larger HPC cluster
• Embedded Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager enables convenient "plug and play" operation for small clusters that can scale to support large HPC clusters
• InfiniBand 1.2 Compliant
• Easy configuration, monitoring, and maintenance in-band and out-of-band
The Cisco SFS 7000P provides the following features:
• High-performance, low-latency switched server interconnect
• 24 non-blocking, 10-Gbps, full duplex InfiniBand (4X) ports
• Fully redundant power and cooling, with hot-swappable field replaceable units (FRUs)
• Command-line interface (CLI), Web, and Java-based systems management options
• 1-RU stackable architecture, with included 4-post rack mounting kit suitable for rack-based shipping
• Single hop, less than 200 ns cut-through latency port to port
• Full bisectional bandwidth for all 24 ports (480 Gbps)
• Powered ports to enable flexible copper and optical interface configurations
FABRIC DENSITY AND SCALABILITY
The Cisco SFS 7000P is a fixed-configuration, 24-port, 10-Gbps (4X) non-blocking InfiniBand switch (Figure 2) that is ideally suited to "top-of-rack" switch configurations that, when combined with other Cisco SFS 7000 Series InfiniBand switches, provide access-switch functionality in very large HPC clusters consisting of thousands of nodes to support the most demanding HPC applications.
The Cisco SFS 7000P is designed for enterprise-class reliability that supports hot-swappable redundant power supplies and cooling.
The embedded Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager constantly synchronizes operational information with other Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Managers within the network so that if any one switch fails, another subnet manager can assume active subnet manager responsibility.
The Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager also provides rapid re-routing in the event of a path failure or switch failure, maintaining maximum availability on the InfiniBand network.
Using the embedded Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager and systems management, the Cisco SFS 7000P can be deployed in a ready-to-use fashion in the network within minutes. Configuration and maintenance are simplified with a full-featured GUI and CLI using serial console, Telnet, or Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Version 2, enabling remote management, monitoring, diagnostics, and updates. The Cisco SFS 7000P can be managed using the Cisco SFS management suite or with existing network management systems using standard protocols such as Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP), with supported SNMPv3 security.
The Cisco SFS 7000P supports a full complement of performance monitoring, including graphing bandwidth utilization and error rates in real time to give system administrators an unprecedented view of fabric performance. The Cisco SFS 7000P quickly identifies and isolates trouble areas or "hot spots" using comprehensive fabric and chassis management embedded within the switch that automatically detects, isolates, and recovers from component-level failures. Each FRU supports a full suite of system-level diagnostic health checks that assess the health of all components to detect potential problems, such as rising temperature or internal error rates, and report these anomalies in real time to proactively notify the system administrator.
The embedded Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager can manage InfiniBand switch networks consisting of thousands of nodes. It may also be combined with the standalone, high-performance Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager to scale to much larger clusters.
The Cisco SFS 7000P single-chip design offers fully non-blocking, 10-Gbps full duplex performance at an optimal price per port compared to other 10-Gbps networking technologies. The Cisco SFS 7000P also supports sophisticated embedded system and network management that simplify network management, monitoring, diagnostics, and maintenance. It is fully compliant with the IBTA 1.0a and 1.1 standards, and is interoperable with other IBTA standards-compliant InfiniBand products. The embedded Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager can manage InfiniBand switch networks consisting of thousands of nodes. Optionally, the standalone, high-performance Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager enables the Cisco SFS 7000P to scale to support the largest InfiniBand switch networks. The Cisco SFS 7000P, when combined with the Cisco SFS 3000 Ethernet and Fiber Channel gateways, provides transparent IP and storage connectivity between
high-performance InfiniBand server clusters and Cisco Catalyst
® 6000 Series Switch-based LANs and Cisco MDS 9000 Family
Figure 2. Cisco SFS 7000P InfiniBand Server Switch
COMPLETE SERVER SWITCHING SOLUTION
The Cisco SFS 7000P is a part of the Cisco SFS 7000 Series of InfiniBand server switches which, combined with the Cisco Catalyst 6000 Series switches and Cisco MDS 9000 Series switches deliver a comprehensive, industry-leading data center switching solution. The Cisco SFS solution also includes integrated Ethernet and Fiber Channel gateway modules, and 10-Gbps InfiniBand host channel adapters (HCAs) with a complete suite of upper-layer protocols: IP over InfiniBand, Messaging Passing Interface (MPI), Sockets Direct Protocol (SDP), SCSCI RDMA Protocol (SRP), and user Data Access Provider Layer (uDAPL). The Cisco SFS 7000P shares common switch software with all the other Cisco SFS 7000P and SFS 3000 series server switches, offering a clear growth path while protecting existing investments. Tables 1 through 4 provide details about the Cisco SFS 7000P system architecture, mechanical and environmental specifications, and management features.
Table 1. Systems Architecture
• 24 4X InfiniBand non-blocking 10-Gbps full duplex ports
• Copper or optical interfaces
• One RS-232 serial port, one RJ-45 remote Ethernet management port
• 4X InfiniBand ports: line-rate 10-Gbps full duplex
• Switch full bisectional bandwidth (480 Gbps)
• <200 nano-second port-to-port latency
Table 2. Mechanical Specifications
• Standard 19-inch rack-mountable
• < 1-RU height (1.75 inch)
• 22-inch depth
< 30 lb
Table 3. Environmental Specifications
• Operating: 32 to 113°F (0 to 45°C)
• Storage: -40 to 158°F (-40 to 70°C)
• Operating: 10,000 feet
• Storage: 40,000 feet
• Operating: 8 to 80% non-condensing
• Storage: 5 to 90% non-condensing
• Operating: .25G, 5 to 300 Hz 15 minutes
• Storage: 0.5G, 5 to 300 Hz 15 minutes
• 90 to 264 VAC auto-ranging, 47 to 63 Hz
• Maximum power dissipation < 60W
Table 4. Management Features
• Embedded Cisco InfiniBand Subnet Manager for ready-to-use deployment
• Easy configuration, monitoring, and maintenance through serial, in-band, and out-of-band connections
• Java-based Element Manager GUI
• Web-based systems management GUI
• CLI using Telnet, SSHv2, and RS-232
• Supports SNMPv2 and v3 for management framework integration
• Secure management: SSHv2, SSL, SNMPv3, RADIUS
• IBTA 1.2 compliant
• RoHS complaint
SERIES OF PRODUCTS
The Cisco SFS 7008P is part of a complete family of server switches including the Cisco SFS 7000 Series InfiniBand server switches, Cisco SFS 3000 Series multifabric server switches and Cisco InfiniBand PCI-X and PCI Express Host Channel Adapters.
® offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare the network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, see
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about the Cisco SFS 7000P InfiniBand Server Switch, visit
http://www.cisco.com or contact your local