The information in this document is based on these software and hardware versions:
ASA Firepower modules (ASA 5506X/5506H-X/5506W-X, ASA 5508-X, ASA 5516-X ) running software version 5.4.1 and above
ASA Firepower module (ASA 5515-X, ASA 5525-X, ASA 5545-X, ASA 5555-X) running software version 6.0.0 and above
The information in this document was created from the devices in a specific lab environment. All of the devices used in this document started with a cleared (default) configuration. If your network is live, make sure that you understand the potential impact of any command.
A troubleshoot file contains a collection of log messages, configuration data, and command outputs. It is used in order to determine the status of Firepower (SFR) module.
This procedure is applicable when Firepowermodule (SFR) is managed by ASDM.
If the Firepower module (SFR) is managed by the Firepower Management Center/FireSIGHT/Defense Center then follow this article.
Complete these steps in order to generate troubleshoot files:
1. Log in to the ASDM and ensure ASA Firepower status on Device Dashboard & status shows Up & running.
2. Navigate to Configuration > ASA Firepower Configuration > Tools > Troubleshooting on the ASDM configuration panel.
3. Click Generate Troubleshoot option in order to generate the Troubleshoot file. Troubleshooting Options pop-up window appears.
4. Select All Data check box in order to generate a report with all the possible troubleshooting data, or check the individual check boxes in order to customize your report:
5. Click Generate and ASDM generates the troubleshoot file.
Tip: In order to monitor the file generation process in the task queue, navigate to Monitoring > ASA Firepower Monitoring > Task Status
Download Troubleshoot Files
Complete these steps in order to download copies of your generated troubleshoot file:
1. Navigate to Monitoring > ASA Firepower Monitoring > Task Status on ASDM in order to reach the Task Status page.
2. After the ASDM generates the troubleshoot files and the task status changes to Completed, locate the task that corresponds to the troubleshoot files that you generated.
3. Click the retrieve generated files link and follow the browser prompts in order to download the file.
Note: The files are downloaded to the desktop in a single *.tar.gz file.
Alternative Method of Generating Troubleshoot Files
If Firepower module is not accessible from the ASDM, then it is not possible to generate the Troubleshoot File as per the ASDM instructions. In such cases, you can use the CLI of the appliance in order to generate the troubleshoot file.
You can either directly SSH to Firepower module management IP address or login to ASA via CLI and run command (# session sfr console) to login to Firepower Module.
Enter this command on Firepower module to generate a troubleshoot file:
> system generate-troubleshoot all
Please, be patient. This may take several minutes.
The troubleshoot option code specified is ALL.
Troubleshooting information successfully created at /var/common/xxxxxx.tar.gz
Copy Troubleshoot Files
Run this command to upload the troubleshoot file to an SCP server.
> System file secure-copy <hostname> <username> <destination_folder> <troubleshoot_file>
Note: In this example, the hostname specifies to the name/IP address of the target, the username specifies the name of the user on the remote host, the destination_folder specifies the destination directory path on the remote host, and the troubleshoot_file specifies the local troubleshoot file for transfer.
Ensure the Management port has reachability to the SCP server.
There is currently no verification procedure available for this configuration.
There is currently no specific troubleshooting information available for this configuration.