THIS FIELD NOTICE IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS AND DOES NOT IMPLY ANY KIND OF GUARANTEE OR WARRANTY, INCLUDING THE WARRANTY OF MERCHANTABILITY. YOUR USE OF THE INFORMATION ON THE FIELD NOTICE OR MATERIALS LINKED FROM THE FIELD NOTICE IS AT YOUR OWN RISK. CISCO RESERVES THE RIGHT TO CHANGE OR UPDATE THIS FIELD NOTICE AT ANY TIME.
Migration to new field notice system
|Affected Product ID
||There were no defects filed with this field notice at the time of publication.|
On select Cisco 4000 Series Integrated Services Routers (ISR 4000s), the Foreign Exchange Station Network Interface Modules (FXS NIMs) NIM-2FXSP, NIM-4FXSP, and NIM-2FXS/4FXOP will not function properly if they run Cisco IOS® Software Releases earlier than Cisco IOS XE 16.5.
A hardware component that was introduced into the manufacturing process for the FXS NIMs that are compatible with ISR 4000s requires Cisco IOS Software Release IOS XE 16.5 or later in order to operate properly. Affected units are identified by the suffix "P" at the end of the Product Identifier (PID).
The new hardware revision will not be recognized with Cisco IOS Software Releases earlier than Cisco IOS XE 16.5. The impacted FXS NIMs that run a Cisco IOS Software Release earlier than Cisco IOS XE 16.5 will exhibit this behavior:
- The NIM modules boot up, as verified by the show platform command.
- The output of the show voice port summary command does not show any analog ports.
Here is an example:
Use Cisco IOS XE Release 16.5 or later so that the impacted FXS NIMs operate properly. Note: The FXS NIMs can be identified as described in the How to Identify Hardware Levels section. Enter the show version command in order to identify the Cisco IOS XE version, as highlighted in blue in this example:
How To Identify Affected Products
The impacted FXS NIMs have a suffix "P" at the end of the PID. The impacted FXS NIM PIDs are:
You can enter the show platform command in order to verify the PIDs, as shown here:
Here is some additional information about the issue that is described in this FN:
- The Cisco IOS Software Release Cisco IOS XE 16.5 or later is compatible with both the old and new hardware.
- Platforms with old and new components are completely interoperable.
- There is no change in features or any other functionality.
- Older modules (NIM-2FXS, NIM-4FXS, and NIM-2FXS/4FXO) will continue to work with supported versions of Cisco IOS XE releases, as mentioned in Cisco 4000 Series Integrated Services Routers - Interfaces and Modules.
For More Information
If you require further assistance, or if you have any further questions regarding this field notice, please contact the Cisco Systems Technical Assistance Center (TAC) by one of the following methods:
Receive Email Notification For New Field Notices
Cisco Notification Service—Set up a profile to receive email updates about reliability, safety, network security, and end-of-sale issues for the Cisco products you specify.