Cisco Catalyst 6500 Sets Throughput Records
Network World finds results "impressive" in an independent Clear Choice Test.
» Read Review
The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System (VSS) 1440 takes the flagship Catalyst 6500 platform to the next level with network system virtualization.
Creating a VSS 1440
The key enabler of a VSS 1440 is the Virtual Switching Supervisor 720-10G. Any two Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches with this supervisor engine can be pooled together into a VSS 1440*. The two switches are connected with 10 GbE links called Virtual Switch Links (VSLs). Once a VSS 1440 is created it acts as a single virtual Catalyst switch delivering the following benefits:
- Two Catalyst 6500s share a single point of management, single gateway IP address, and single routing instance
- Eliminates the dependence on First Hop Redundancy Protocols (FHRP) and Spanning Tree Protocol
- Delivers deterministic, sub-200 millisecond layer 2 link recovery through inter-chassis stateful failovers and the predictable resilience of Etherchannel
Scales to 1.4 Tbps
- Scales system bandwidth capacity to 1.4 Tbps by activating all available bandwidth across redundant Catalyst 6500 switches
- Up to 132 ports of 10 GbE per system
* See Virtual Switching System 1440 on the Catalyst 6500 Series White Paper for complete requirements.
Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series VSSE 720 with 10GE uplinks
Better Manageability, Reliability, and Scalability (Flash)