The Cisco® Virtual Switch Update Manager (VSUM) enables you to install, migrate, monitor, and upgrade Cisco Nexus® 1000V Switch Virtual Supervisor Modules (VSMs) in high availability or standalone mode and Cisco Nexus 1000V Virtual Ethernet Modules (VEMs) on VMware ESXi hosts.
Cisco VSUM also enables customers to install and upgrade Cisco Application Virtual Switch (AVS) to the VMware ESXi host. Cisco Application Virtual Switch (AVS) is a hypervisor-resident distributed virtual switch specifically designed for Cisco Application Centric Infrastructure (ACI).
Cisco VSUM is a virtual appliance that is registered as a plug-in to VMware vCenter Server. The VSUM GUI is an integral part of the VMware vSphere Web Client; it can be accessed only by logging into the vSphere Web Client.
Cisco VSUM has two main components: the back-end open virtual appliance (OVA), and the front-end GUI integrated into VMware vCenter. After the appliance is deployed, it establishes communication with the designated vCenter. Then the vCenter web interface becomes the front end for VSUM (Figure 1).
Figure 1. Cisco VSUM Architecture
Features and Benefits for Cisco Nexus 1000V
Cisco VSUM enables you to install, upgrade, and monitor the Cisco Nexus 1000V for VMware vSphere and also migrate hosts to the Cisco Nexus 1000V using the VMware vSphere Web Client.
VSUM enables you to do the following:
● Install the Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch
● Migrate the VMware Virtual Switch (vSwitch) and vSphere Distributed Switch (VDS) to the Cisco Nexus 1000V
● Monitor the Cisco Nexus 1000V
● Upgrade the Cisco Nexus 1000V and add hosts from an earlier version to the latest version
● Install the Cisco Nexus 1000V license
● View the health of the virtual machines in your data center using the dashboard on the Cisco Nexus 1000V
Features and Benefits for Cisco AVS
Cisco VSUM enables you to install and upgrade the Cisco Application Virtual Switch (AVS) for VMware vSphere and also add AVS hosts to the Cisco AVS distributed virtual switch component in vCenter using the VMware vSphere Web Client.
VSUM enables you to do the following:
● Install the Cisco AVS vSphere Bundle (VIB) to ESXi host
● Add host to the Cisco AVS distributed virtual switch
● Upgrade the Cisco AVS
Cisco VSUM needs the following environment:
● VMware vSphere ESXi Enterprise Plus Version 4.1 or later
● VMware vCenter Version 5.1 or later
● Cisco Nexus 1000V VSM Release 4.2.1SV1(5.2b) or later
VSUM is a virtual appliance and needs the following resources:
● All the web-based GUI client resources required by VMware vSphere Web Client
● 4 GB of RAM
● 2 CPUs
● 80 GB of hard-disk space
Licensing and Ordering Information
Cisco VSUM does not need a separate license. It work with Cisco Nexus 1000V Essential Edition, Nexus 1000V Advanced Edition and Cisco Application Virtual Switch (AVS). The VSUM software is available on the Cisco Nexus 1000V VSUM download page on Cisco.com.
Service and Support
Cisco Software Application Support plus Upgrades (SASU) is a comprehensive support service that helps you maintain and enhance the availability, security, and performance of your business-critical applications.
Cisco VSUM is covered in the support contract purchased for Cisco Nexus 1000V and Cisco Application Policy Infrastructure Controller (APIC) respectively, and no separate support contract needs to be purchased for VSUM.
For More Information
● For more information about the Cisco Nexus 1000V Switch, visit http://www.cisco.com/go/nexus1000v
● For more information about the Cisco Nexus 1000V community, visit https://communities.cisco.com/community/technology/datacenter/nexus1000v
● For more information about the Cisco Application Virtual Switch, visit http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/switches/application-virtual-switch/index.html