The Cisco UCS® S3260 Storage Server (Figure 1) is a modular, high-density, high-availability, dual-node storage- optimized server well suited for service providers, enterprises, and industry-specific environments. It provides dense, cost-effective storage to address your ever-growing data needs. Designed for a new class of data-intensive workloads, it is simple to deploy and excellent for applications for big data, data protection, software-defined storage environments, scale-out unstructured data repositories, media streaming, and content distribution.
Figure 1. Cisco UCS S3260 Storage Server
The Cisco UCS S3260 server helps you achieve the highest levels of data availability and performance. With dual-node capability that is based on the Intel® Xeon® Scalable processor and Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 series, it features up to 720 TB of local storage in a compact 4-Rack-Unit (4RU) form factor. The drives can be configured with enterprise-class Redundant Array of Independent Disks (RAID) redundancy or with a pass-through Host Bus Adapter (HBA) controller. Network connectivity is provided with dual-port 40-Gbps nodes in each server, with expanded unified I/O capabilities for data migration between Network-Attached Storage (NAS) and SAN environments. This storage-optimized server comfortably fits in a standard 32-inch-depth rack, such as the Cisco® R 42610 Rack.
● Dual 2-socket server nodes based on Intel Xeon scalable processors or Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 CPUs with up to 36 cores per server node
● Up to 1.5TBof DDR4 memory per M5 server node
● Support for high-performance nonvolatile memory express (NVMe) and flash memory
● Massive 720-TB data storage capacity that easily scales to petabytes with Cisco UCS Manager software
● Policy-based storage management framework for zero-touch capacity on demand
● Dual-port 40-Gbps system I/O controllers with Cisco UCS Virtual Interface Card 1300 platform embedded chip
● Unified I/O for Ethernet or Fibre Channel to existing NAS or SAN storage environments
● Support for Cisco bidirectional transceivers, with 40-Gbps connectivity over existing 10-Gbps cabling infrastructure
The Cisco UCS S3260 server uses a multigenerational modular server architecture (Figure 2) and employ’s Cisco’s blade technology expertise to increase investment protection, allowing you to upgrade the main system components (Figure 3) without the need to migrate data from one system to another.
Figure 2. Cisco UCS S3260 (empty chassis)
Figure 3. Cisco UCS S3260 (fully populated)
Advanced storage management
Cisco Unified Computing System™ (Cisco UCS) management helps significantly reduce management and administration expenses by automating routine tasks to increase operational agility. Cisco UCS management provides enhanced storage management functions for the Cisco UCS S3260 and all Cisco UCS servers. Storage profiles give you flexibility in defining the number of storage disks and the roles and uses of these disks and other storage parameters. You can select and configure the disks to be used for storage by a virtual drive.
A logical collection of physical disks is called a disk group, and a disk group configuration policy defines the way that a disk group is created and configured. A disk group can be partitioned into virtual drives. Each virtual drive appears as an individual physical device to the operating system. The policy specifies the RAID level to be used for the disk group. It also specifies either manual or automatic selection of disks for the disk group and roles for the disks. This feature allows optimization of the storage resources without additional overhead and licensing costs.
Table 1 lists the specifications for the Cisco UCS S3260 Storage Server.
Table 1. Product specifications
Up to 2 nodes; Cisco UCS S3260 chassis fits in 2 types of server nodes:
● M5 server nodes based on Intel Xeon Scalable Processors
● M4 server nodes based on Intel Xeon processor E5-2600 v4 CPUs
Dual Intel Xeon Scalable processors or E5-2600 v4 product family CPUs per server node.
● M5 server node processors: Intel Xeon Scalable processor 4110, 4114, 5115, 6132, 6138, 6152
● M4 server node processors: Intel Xeon processor E5-2620 v4, E5-2650 v4, E5-2680 v4, E5-2695 v4
Up to 44 per server node.
● M5 server node: 7 Dual In-Line Memory Module (DIMM) slots per processors with 16-GB, 32-GB, 64-GB or 128-GB DDR4 registered DIMMs (RDIMMs) or Load-Reduced DIMMs (LRDIMMs)
● M4 server node: 8 Dual In-Line Memory Module (DIMM) slots per processor with 16-GB, 32-GB, or 64-GB DDR4 Registered DIMMs (RDIMMs) or Load-Reduced DIMMs (LRDIMMs)
Up to 4 TB NVMe for M5 server node.
System I/O controllers
Up to 2 system I/O controllers with onboard Cisco UCS Virtual Interface Card 1300 platform and 2 x 40-Gbps Quad Small Form-factor Pluggable (QSFP) ports (160 Gbps of throughput).
I/O expansion module
● Dual x8 Peripheral Component Interconnect Express (PCIe) half-height, half-width slots for third-party add-in cards. (Note: Available with M5 and M4 server node; uses server bay 1.)
● Choice of I/O Ethernet and Fiber Channel options:
◦ 1 and 10 Gigabit Ethernet or 8- and 16-Gbps Fibre Channel
● Application acceleration with support for PCIe-based flash memory:
◦ 1000 or 3200 GB
● M5 server node: Dual-chip RAID controller based on LSI 3316 ROC with 4-GB RAID cache per chip and Supercap.
● M4 server node: Single-chip LSI 3316 ROC controller with 4-GB RAID cache and Supercap.
● Controller support for RAID 0, 1, 5, 10, 50, and 60 and JBOD mode, providing enterprise-class data protection for all drives installed in the system.
● Dual Chip Pass through Controller with LSI IOC 3216 using LSI IT Firmware
● Up to 56 top-accessible, hot-swappable 3.5-inch, 2-, 4-, 6-, 8-, 10-, or 12-TB 7200-RPM NL-SAS Hard-Disk Drives (HDDs).
● Up to 28 top-accessible, hot-swappable 400-GB, 800-GB, 1.6-TB, or 3.2-TB SAS Solid-State Drives (SSDs).
● Up to 2 rear-accessible, hot-swappable, 2.5-inch, 120- or 480-GB SATA or 1.6-TB SSDs per server node.
● Note: These boot drives support Hardware RAID with the M4 and M5 server node connected to the RAID controller on the server node. These boot drives support SW RAID when using the pass-through storage controller All drives are hot pluggable.
Disk expansion module
● Expand data storage capacity with up to 4 rear-accessible, hot-swappable, 3.5-inch, 2-, 4-, 6-, 8-, 10-, or 12-TB, 7200-RPM NL-SAS HDDs. (Note: These drives are installed in server bay 2.)
● 4 hot-pluggable, N+N redundant 1050-watt (W) AC or DC 80 PLUS Platinum efficiency power supplies.
Cisco Integrated Management Controller (IMC)
Integrated Baseboard Management Controller (BMC):
● IPMI 2.0 compliant for management and control
● One 10/100/1000 Ethernet out-of-band management interface
● Command-Line Interface (CLI) and web GUI management tool for automated, lights-out management
● Keyboard, video, and mouse
● HTML5 interface
● Fibre Channel, Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE), Network File System (NFS), Server Message Block (SMB), SMB Direct, and Small Computer System Interface over IP (iSCSI).
● 4RU height x 32-in. depth.
● High reliability, availability, and serviceability features with tool-free server nodes, system I/O controller, easy-to-use latching lid, and hot-swappable and hot-pluggable components.
● Microsoft Windows Server 2016, 2012; Red Hat Enterprise Linux; SUSE Linux; or VMware vSphere.
Cisco capital financing to help you achieve your objectives
Cisco Capital® financing can help you acquire the technology you need to achieve your objectives and stay competitive. We can help you reduce Capital Expenditures (CapEx), accelerate your growth, and optimize your investment dollars and ROI. Cisco Capital financing gives you flexibility in acquiring hardware, software, services, and complementary third-party equipment. And there’s just one predictable payment. Cisco Capital financing is available in more than 100 countries. Learn more.
For more information
For additional information about the Cisco UCS S3260 Storage Server, contact your local Cisco representative or visit https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/products/servers-unified-computing/ucs-s3260-storage-server/index.html.