PDF(169.2 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:March 13, 2015
The documentation set for this product strives to use bias-free language. For the purposes of this documentation set, bias-free is defined as language that does not imply discrimination based on age, disability, gender, racial identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality. Exceptions may be present in the documentation due to language that is hardcoded in the user interfaces of the product software, language used based on RFP documentation, or language that is used by a referenced third-party product. Learn more about how Cisco is using Inclusive Language.
The Cisco® CRS-1 Carrier Routing System offers continuous system operation, exceptional service flexibility, and system longevity. The Cisco CRS-1 is powered by Cisco IOS® XR Software - a unique self-healing, distributed operating system designed for always-on operation while scaling system capacity up to 92 Tbps. The innovative system architecture combines the Cisco Silicon Packet Processor, the first programmable 40-Gbps application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC), with the Cisco Service Separation Architecture for superior service flexibility and speed to service. The Cisco CRS-1 marks a new era in carrier IP Communications by powering the foundation for network and service convergence today while protecting investments for decades to come.
This data sheet provides detailed product specifications for an important element of the Cisco IP-over-DWDM solution, the Cisco CRS-1 4-Port 10GE Tunable WDMPHY Interface Module (Figure 1). This tunable DWDM interface module allows service providers to increase efficiencies, improve reliability, and reduce operational and capital costs through elimination of expensive and bulky optical transponder equipment, even as video-based applications rapidly increase traffic in their DWDM networks. The module supports both G.709 Generic Forward Error Correction (GFEC) and high-gain Enhanced Forward Error Correction (EFEC), extending reach up to 2000 kilometers (km) without requiring signal regeneration. The Cisco CRS-1 4-Port 10GE Interface Module is also completely tunable across the C band with 50-GHz spacing, and supports router-to-router SONET/SDH-like operations, administration, maintenance, and provisioning (OAM&P). For more information about the Cisco CRS-1 or about other interfaces available for the Cisco CRS-1, visit
• Source/destination MAC accounting and VLAN accounting
• IEEE 802.3ae LANPHY (10GBASE-R) PCS
• Four ports of 10GE WDMPHY interfaces per physical layer interface module (PLIM)
• Duplex LC optical connector per port
OTN (G.709) Features
• OTN Disabled: no OTN (G.709) framing, line rate of 10.3125 Gbps
• OTN Enabled: OTN (G.709) framing, line rate of 11.0975 Gbps
• Mapping of IEEE 802.3ae 10GBASE-R signal into an overclocked OTU2 running at 11.0975 Gbps
• Alarm reporting: Loss of Signal (LOF), Loss of OTN Frame (LOF), Loss of OTN Multiframe (LOM), OTU alarm indication signal (OTU-AIS), OTU backward defect indication (OTU-BDI), ODU alarm indication signal (ODU-AIS), ODU open connection indication (ODU-OCI), ODU locked (ODU-LCK), ODU backwards defect indication (ODU-BDI), ODU payload type identifier mismatch (ODU-PTIM), OTU signal fail (OTU_SF_BER), and OTU signal degrade (OTU_SD_BER)
• OTU_SF_BER and OTU_SD_BER alarms are based on monitoring OTU BIP errors with a user-configurable threshold crossing
• Error counts: OTU BIP, OTU BEI, ODU BIP, and ODU BEI
• Threshold crossing alerts (TCAs) for OTU BIP errors (SM-TCA) and ODU BIP errors (PM-TCA) with user-configurable threshold
• Local (internal) and line (network) loopback
• Local (internal) or loop (recovered from network) timing
±100ppm local clock accuracy over operating temperature
• FEC Type: G.975.1 I.7
• NO FEC: no Forward Error Correction
• GFEC: standard G.975 Reed-Salomon algorithm
• EFEC: standard G.975.1 two orthogonally concatenated BCH super FEC code. This FEC scheme contains three parameterizations of the same scheme of two orthogonally interleaved block codes (BCH). The constructed code is decoded iteratively, to achieve the expected performance. FEC statistics for pre-FEC BER, corrected errors (EC), and uncorrected words (UC)
• FEC statistics for pre-FEC BER, corrected errors (EC), and uncorrected words (UC)
• Line rate 10.3125 Gbps
±100 ppm or 11.0957 Gbps
Cisco Services make networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together.
Today, the network is a strategic platform in a world that demands better integration between people, information, and ideas. The network works better when services, together with products, create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
The unique Cisco Lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the network lifecycle to help ensure service excellence. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the forces of Cisco, our skilled network of partners, and our customers, we achieve the best results.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco CRS-1 4-Port 10GE Tunable WDMPHY Interface Module, contact your local Cisco representative or visit