Using the Phone Device for Playback and Recording in Media Player
The Media Player supports the phone as a playback and recording device. The phone device is always available to users. Using Number or URI field, users can configure the active phone number for the phone device (the default value is the primary Unity Connection extension of the user).
The phone device sends requests over the network to the Unity Connection server to call the active phone number. When the phone answers, the phone device proceeds with either playing back or recording the voice recording. The call can fail for these reasons:
- Either no active phone number value is defined, or it is defined incorrectly.
- The phone system to which the user is assigned does not have any TRAP ports enabled.
- All TRAP-capable ports on the phone system are busy.
- No phone system is designated to handle TRAP connections.
Problems with the Phone Device Ringing the Phone for Playback or Recording of a Voice Message
Use the troubleshooting information in this section if the phone device either does not ring the phone, or rings the phone only once for playback or recording of voice messages:
- Phone numbers of different
lengths are configured on the phone system, causing the phone system to wait
for additional digits- If your site uses phone numbers that vary in length
(for example, some users have five-digit numbers and others have four-digit
numbers) this can cause a slight delay of approximately two seconds before the
call is connected.
The reason for the delay is that the phone system waits to determine that the entire phone number has been dialed before it connects the call.
- The phone number dialed by the Media Player is not the expected number -Confirm that the active phone number specified in the Media Player is correct. To do this, check the Active Phone Number value for the Primary Extension or Other Number in the Number or URI field on the Media Player.
- No phone system is
designated to handle TRAP connections -By default, the first phone system
that is integrated with Unity Connection is designated to handle TRAP
connections for the Media Player. If this phone system is replaced by another
integration, the new phone system might not be designated to handle TRAP
When a phone system is not designated to handle TRAP connections, the following error appears.
Could not establish a phone conversation.
The server reports the following:
Description: Cannot find a switch to route the call
Follow the steps in the Designating a Phone System to Handle TRAP Connections section.
Designating a Phone System to Handle TRAP Connections
In Cisco Unity Connection Administration, expand Telephony Integrations , then select Phone System .
On the Search Phone Systems page, select the name of the phone system that you want to handle TRAP connections.
On the Phone System Basics page, check the Default TRAP Switch check box and select Save .