Cisco 2-Port, 4-Port, and 8-Port OC-12c/STM-4 Packet over SONET SPA
PDF(215.4 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:July 14, 2006
The Cisco® I-Flex design combines shared port adapters (SPAs) and SPA interface processors (SIPs), using an extensible design that enables service prioritization for voice, video, and data services. Enterprise and service provider customers can use the improved slot economics resulting from modular port adapters that are interchangeable across Cisco routing platforms. The I-Flex design maximizes connectivity options and offers superior service intelligence through programmable interface processors, which deliver line-rate performance. I-Flex enhances speed-to-service revenue and provides a rich set of quality-of-service (QoS) features for premium service delivery while effectively reducing the overall cost of ownership. This data sheet contains the specifications for the Cisco 2/4/8-Port OC-12c/STM-4 Packet over SONET SPAs (Cisco 2/4/8-Port OC-12 PoS SPAs; refer to Figure 1).
Figure 1. Cisco 2/4/8-Port OC-12 POS SPAs with SFP Optics
The Cisco 2/4/8-Port OC-12 POS SPAs are available on high-end Cisco Systems
® routing platforms offering the benefits of network scalability with lower initial costs and ease of upgrades. The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio continues the Cisco focus on investment protection along with consistent feature support, broad interface availability, and the latest technology. The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio allows different interfaces (Packet over SONET/SDH [POS], ATM, Ethernet, and so on) to be deployed on the same interface processor.
A key feature of these SPAs is the multirate operating mode support. This allows ports to be configured at OC-3 or OC-12 speeds. This gives the flexibility to configure some ports to run at OC-3 speeds, while the rest can run at OC-12 speeds. This requires different optics for different modes. The Cisco 2/4/8-Port OC-12 POS SPAs provide support for Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) interfaces. SFP modules are available in multiple optical reaches from 2 to 80 km.
Cisco 2/4/8-Port OC-12 POS SPAs can be used in multiple applications (Figure 2), including:
The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio offers many advantages, including:
• Industry's most modular, flexible, intelligent interface processors:
– Flexibility, providing mix and match of interface types on the same interface processor for consistent services, independent of access technology.
– Pioneering programmable interface processors that provide flexibility for the service diversity required in next-generation networks.
– Innovative design that provides intelligent delivery of services without compromising on performance.
• Increases speed to service revenue:
– The future-proof programmable Cisco architecture extended to 10 gigabits per second dramatically improves customer density, increasing potential revenue per platform.
– Interface breadth (copper, channelized, POS, ATM, and Ethernet) on a modular interface processor allows service providers to more quickly roll out new services, helping ensure that all customers large and small receive consistent, secure, and guaranteed services.
– High-density SFP interfaces are featured for high-port-count applications with reach flexibility. Future optical technology improvements can be adopted using existing SPAs.
• Dramatically improves the financials of your routing purchase:
– Improved slot economics and increased density reduce capital expenditures (CapEx).
– The ability to easily add new interfaces as they are needed enables a "pay-as-you-grow" business model while still offering a high-density solution.
– SPAs are shared across multiple platforms and can be easily moved from one to another, providing consistent feature support, accelerated product delivery, and a significant reduction in operating expenses (OpEx) through common sparing as service needs change.
Table 1 gives specifications for the Cisco 2/4/8-Port OC-12 POS SPAs.
Table 1. Product Specifications for the Cisco 2/4/8-Port OC-12 POS SPAs
• Cisco 12000 Series Routers
• Cisco XR 12000 Series Routers
• Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router
• Cisco ASR 9000 Series Router (8 port Only)
• Cisco CRS Carrier Routing System (8 port Only)
Port density per SPA
• 2 ports
• 4 ports
• 8 ports
• OC-12c/STM-4 SFP optics module (refer to optical parameters in Table 2)
• OC-3c/STM-1 SFP optics module (refer to optical parameters in Table 2)
• Visual status indicators (LEDs):
• SPA status LED
• Per-port LEDs
• Carrier and alarm
• Active and loopback
• RFC 1662 PPP in High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC)-like framing
• RFC 2615 Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) over SONET/SDH
• RFC 2427, Multiprotocol Interconnect over Frame Relay
Features and functions
• Multirate mode support (OC-3 and OC-12)
• Local (internal) or loop timed (recovered from network)
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you to protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, refer to
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio, visit
http://www.cisco.com/go/spa or contact your local Cisco account representative.