Cisco 1-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN-PHY Shared Port Adapter
PDF(177.0 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:December 3, 2007
® I-Flex approach combines shared port adapters (SPAs) and SPA interface processors (SIPs), providing an extensible design that facilitates service prioritization for data, voice, and video services. Enterprise and service provider customers can take advantage of improved slot economics resulting from modular port adapters that are interchangeable across Cisco routing platforms. The Cisco I-Flex design maximizes connectivity options and offers superior service intelligence through programmable interface processors that deliver line-rate performance. Cisco I-Flex enhances speed-to-service revenue and provides a rich set of quality-of-service (QoS) features for premium service delivery while effectively reducing the overall cost of ownership. This data sheet contains the specifications for the Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN-PHY Shared Port Adapter.
The Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN-PHY SPA is available on high-end Cisco routing platforms, offering the benefits of network scalability with lower initial costs and ease of upgrades. The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio continues Cisco's focus on investment protection along with consistent feature support, broad interface availability, and the latest technology. The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio allows deployment of different interfaces (packet over SONET/SDH [POS], ATM, Ethernet, etc.) on the same interface processor.
Within a central office or data center or in a metropolitan-area network (MAN), 10-Gigabit Ethernet interfaces are commonly used to interconnect routers or other devices. The Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN-PHY SPA supports a broad range of customer needs and applications. With this SPA, users can mix and match SPA ports with other types of interfaces in the same slot. The Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN-PHY SPA introduces 10-Gigabit Ethernet connectivity based on IEEE 802.3ae standards for compatibility and interoperability in configurable WAN and LAN modes, with a single-height modular I/O form factor.
The Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN-PHY SPA can be used in any combination of the following applications:
• Residential triple play
• Metro Ethernet services
• Converged residential and business services
• Internet peering
• Inter- and intra-point of presence (POP) aggregation
– Flexible design allows mixing and matching of interface types on the same interface processor for consistent services, independent of access technology.
– Programmable interface processors provide flexibility for the service diversity required in next-generation networks.
– Innovative design provides intelligent delivery of services without compromising performance.
• Increased speed-to-service revenue
– The programmable Cisco architecture extended to 10 Gbps dramatically improves customer density, increasing potential revenue per platform and facilitating compatibility with future versions.
– Interface breadth (copper, channelized, POS, ATM, and Ethernet) on a modular interface processor allows service providers to quickly roll out new services, facilitating consistent, secure services for all customers, large and small.
– XFP interfaces are featured for high-port-count applications with reach flexibility. Future optical technology improvements can be adopted using existing SPAs.
• Dramatically improved return on your routing purchase
– Improved slot economics and increased density reduce capital expenditures (CapEx).
– The ability to easily add new interfaces as they are needed facilitates a "pay-as-you-grow" business model while still offering a high-density solution.
– SPAs are shared across multiple platforms and can be easily moved from one to another, providing consistent feature support, accelerated product delivery, and a significant reduction in operating expenses (OpEx) through common sparing as service needs change.
Tables 1 and 2 provide specifications of the Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN-PHY SPA.
Table 1. Product Specifications
• Cisco 12000 Series Routers
• Cisco ASR 1000 Series Router
• Cisco CRS Carrier Routing System
Port density per SPA
One 10-Gigabit Ethernet (GE) port
10-Gbps XFP optics
LAN, SONET,* SDH,* DWDM
* Refer to Tables 3 and 4 for details
SPA status: Bicolor green and amber LEDs encode the SPA status as follows:
• LED off: SPA is powered off
• LED amber: SPA is powered on and initializing
• LED green: SPA is powered on and operational
In addition to the status LED, the SPA also has a bicolor LED dedicated to each port to indicate port status. The green and amber LEDs encode the port status as follows:
• LED off: Port is not activated by software
• LED amber: Port is activated by software, but there is a problem with the Ethernet link
• LED green: Port is activated by software, and there is a valid Ethernet link
Features and functions
• 10 GE configurable LAN/WAN-PHY
• SONET/SDH rate compatibility (detailed comparisons and feature summaries in Tables 3 and 4)
Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN PHY Shared Port Adapter
Cisco 1-Port 10-Gigabit Ethernet LAN/WAN PHY Shared Port Adapter, spare
Cisco SPA Blank Cover
Cisco SPA Blank Cover, spare
Cisco 10 Gigabit Ethernet LR (10 km) Optics
Cisco 10 Gigabit Ethernet LR (10 km) Optics, spare
Cisco 10 Gigabit Ethernet ER (40 km) Optics
Cisco 10 Gigabit Ethernet ER (40 km) Optics, spare
Cisco 10 Gigabit Ethernet ZR (80 km) Optics
Cisco 10 Gigabit Ethernet ZR (80 km) Optics, spare
Cisco 10 Gigabit BASE-SR XFP Module
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, refer to Cisco Technical Support Services.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio, visit
http://www.cisco.com/go/spa or contact your local Cisco account representative.