The Cisco® I-Flex design combines shared port adapters (SPAs) and SPA interface processors (SIPs) using an extensible design that enables service prioritization for voice, video, and data services. Enterprise and service provider customers can use the improved slot economics resulting from modular port adapters that are interchangeable across Cisco routing platforms. The I-Flex design maximizes connectivity options and offers superior service intelligence through programmable interface processors that deliver line-rate performance. I-Flex enhances speed-to-service revenue and provides a rich set of quality-of-service (QoS) features for premium service delivery while effectively reducing the overall cost of ownership. This data sheet contains the specifications for the Cisco 1-Port Channelized OC48/STM-16 SPA (refer to Figure 1).
Figure 1. Cisco 1-Port Channelized OC48/STM-16 Shared Port Adapter
The Cisco 1-Port Channelized OC-48/STM-16 SPA is available on high-end Cisco routing platforms offering the benefits of network scalability with lower initial costs and ease of upgrades. The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio continues the Cisco focus on investment protection along with consistent feature support, broad interface availability, and the latest technology. The Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio allows different interfaces (Packet over SONET/SDH [POS], ATM, Ethernet, etc.) to be deployed on the same interface processor.
Internet traffic continues to grow at an explosive rate - with the number of users doubling each year. This unsurpassed growth is increasing the demand for higher-capacity interfaces from OC-3/STM-1 to OC-48/STM-16. In addition, POS enables efficient transport of IP traffic and uses SONET/SDH concatenated payloads (that is, STS-3c/VC-4, STS-12c/VC-4-4c, or STS-48c/VC-4-16c) to achieve a higher order of statistical multiplexing.
Service providers face the challenge of meeting customer demand by building scalable, feature-rich edge networks that can deliver value-added services such as Multiprotocol Label Switching VPNs (MPLS VPNs); voice, video, and data integration; and tiered service offerings at all interface rates without compromising density or line-rate performance. The Cisco Channelized OC-48/STM-16 SPA channels one OC-48 or STM-16 interface into DS-3, E3, OC-3c, STM-1c, OC-12c, or STM-4c channels and provides an extensive set of service-enabling edge features while performing at line rate simultaneously on all ports.
Features at a Glance
• 1-port Channelized OC-48/STM-16 per SPA
• SONET PDH-DS3 (M23 and C-bit) mapping: STS-1<>DS3
• Channelization support for 4 OC-12, 16 OC-3, 48 DS-3 channels, or any combination of these
• Subrate DS-3
• Bit Error Rate Test (BERT) support for T3/E3 channels
• MDL for T3/E3 channels
• AU-3<---->VC-3<--->DS3 or AU-4<---->TUG-3<---->VC-3<--->DS3
• AU-3<--->VC-3<---->E3 or AU-4<--->TUG-3<----->VC-3<---->E3
Table 1 describes the basic features on the Channelized OC48/STM-16 SPA.
Table 1. Product Features
Cisco XR 12000 Series Routers
Cisco ASR 9000 Series Router
Port density per SPA
1-port Channelized OC-48/STM-16
Physical interface (Channelized OC-48)
OC-48c/STM-16 Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) optics module (refer to optical parameters in Table 2)
Visual status indicators (LEDs):
• SPA status LED
• Per-port LEDs
• Carrier and alarm
• Active and loopback
• IETF RFC 1490, Frame Relay Encapsulation
• RFC 1662, Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) in High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC)-like framing
• Cisco HDLC
• PPP, HDLC, and Frame Relay User Network Interface (UNI) encapsulations
Features and functions
• Full- and half-duplex connectivity at DS-3 rate (44.736 MHz)
• Scrambling and subrate support of major data-service-unit (DSU) vendors
• C-bit or M23 framing in DS-3 mode
• G.751 or G.832 in E3 mode
• Support for 16- and 32-bit cyclic redundancy check (CRC) (16-bit default)
• 24-hour history maintained for error statistics and failure counts
• DS-3 alarm and event detection (once-per-second polling)
• Alarm indication signal (AIS)
• Out of frame (OOF)
• Far-end receive failure (FERF)
SONET errors, alarms, and performance monitoring
• Local (internal) or loop timed (recovered from network)
Table 2 shows the hardware specifications for the Channelized OC-48/STM-16 SPA.
Table 2. Optical Specifications for the Cisco 1-Port Channelized OC-48 SPA
Up to 1.2 mi (2 km)
SM intermediate reach (IR-1)
Up to 9 mi (15 km)
SM extended reach (LR-2)
Up to 50 mi (80 km)
Power and Environmental Requirements
When installed in Cisco routers, these SPAs do not change the power or environmental requirements and standards of the router platform itself. Refer to the platform-specific data sheets for more information.
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, refer to
Cisco Technical Support Services or
Cisco Advanced Services.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco SPA/SIP portfolio, visit
www.cisco.com/go/spa or contact your local Cisco account representative.