PDF(102.1 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:March 13, 2015
The documentation set for this product strives to use bias-free language. For the purposes of this documentation set, bias-free is defined as language that does not imply discrimination based on age, disability, gender, racial identity, ethnic identity, sexual orientation, socioeconomic status, and intersectionality. Exceptions may be present in the documentation due to language that is hardcoded in the user interfaces of the product software, language used based on RFP documentation, or language that is used by a referenced third-party product. Learn more about how Cisco is using Inclusive Language.
® 6500 Series/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 32 delivers industry-leading security, availability, and manageability services for the networks of small and medium-sized business, enterprises, and service providers. This supervisor engine is ideal for applications requiring maximum uptime and security for small and medium-sized LAN core functions, distribution, and access as well as enterprise LAN/WAN access and service provider edge applications. The Supervisor Engine 32 provides investment protection for current Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series and Cisco 7600 Series deployments by supporting all existing classic and Cisco Express Forwarding 256-based modules and enabling new applications.
The Supervisor Engine 32 is offered with the policy feature card 3B (PFC3B), delivering the same features and services available on the Supervisor Engine 720. Two uplink options are available: 8-port Gigabit Ethernet Small Form Pluggable (SFP)-based uplinks (Figure 1) and 2-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet XENPAK-based uplinks (Figure 2). In addition to these modular uplinks, the Supervisor Engine 32 also includes one port of 10/100/1000 RJ-45 for ease of network management and two USB 2.0 ports to enable high-speed, secure, direct access from laptops for network management and simplify software downloading using USB memory devices. All ports on the Supervisor Engine 32 can be active at the same time.
The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 32 offers:
• Industry-leading integrated security-The Supervisor Engine 32 helps mitigate damage from denial-of-service (DoS) attacks using multiple CPU rate limiters, hardware-based MAC learning, and user-based rate limiting. It limits threats from the Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) server, default gateway, or end-user IP address spoofing using features such as DHCP snooping, dynamic Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) inspection, and IP source guard. The supervisor engine allows close control over which users can access the network and what privileges they are granted through identity-based networking with IEEE 802.1x, port-based security, and port-based access lists. These integrated security features are hardware-based so they can be enabled concurrently without compromising system performance as traffic levels increase. The intrusion detection services module or firewall services module can be installed in the same chassis for maximum the highest level of security.
• High availability-The Supervisor Engine 32 helps ensure business continuity through minimizing network downtime with its support of Layer 2 stateful switchover (SSO), gateway load-balancing protocols, multimodule Cisco EtherChannel®, and rapid convergence protocols such as IEEE 802.1s and 802.1w. It also supports proactive detection and prevention of network equipment failures using Generic Online Diagnostics (GOLD).
• Flexible, enhanced manageability-Enhancements include support of two USB 2.0 ports to enable direct access from laptops for network management, simplify software downloading using USB memory devices, and enhance security by using a USB key to limit console access to authorized personnel; support of ACE counters for identifying the frequency that specific access-control-list (ACL) entries are hit; and support of Cisco SmartPort macros, config rollback, and switch profiles functions to simplify operational complexity. These enhanced capabilities enable network administrators to respond quickly to user access problems and simplify network management.
• Slot efficiency-Increased uplink density to eight Gigabit Ethernet SFP-based ports and increased bandwidth to two 10 Gigabit Ethernet XENPAK-based ports save slots for deployment of integrated service modules or higher-density chassis.
• Investment protection-The Supervisor Engine 32 supports all Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series classic modules and Cisco Express Forwarding 256-based modules and is backward-compatible with all Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series and Cisco 7600 Series chassis, allowing deployment of new, advanced services on existing equipment. The Supervisor Engine 32 also supports the Enhanced FlexWAN module and the new shared port adapters (SPA) and SPA interface processors (SIPs). This prolongs the deployment lifetime of interface modules and provides greater return on investment.
• Superior traffic management-Uplinks are available with four transmit queues per port, with one strict priority queue for quality of service (QoS) and two receive queues per port. Each port supports Weighted Random Early Detection (WRED) for congestion avoidance within each queue, and Shaped Round Robin (SRR) as well as Deficit Weighted Round Robin (DWRR) for scheduling between queues to aid in traffic prioritization. Up to eight thresholds can be configured to manage differentiated levels of service.
• Extensive management tools-The Supervisor Engine 32 supports the CiscoWorks network management platform; Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) Versions 1, 2, and 3; and four Remote Monitoring (RMON) groups (statistics, history, alarms, and events).
Figure 1. Supervisor Engine 32 with 8-Port Gigabit Ethernet and PFC3B
Figure 2. Supervisor Engine 32 with 2-Port 10 Gigabit Ethernet and PFC3B
Small and Medium-Sized LAN Deployments
The Supervisor Engine 32 provides enhanced services like security, high availability, and manageability and is ideal for small and mid-size core, distribution, and collapsed core/distribution LAN deployments.
Enterprise LAN Access
The Supervisor Engine 32 provides high levels of security, availability, and manageability for enterprise LAN access. Equipped with the PFC3B, the Supervisor Engine 32 extends the intelligent services of the Supervisor Engine 720 to the access layer, and at the same time provides performance suitable for LAN access. Enhanced uplink density to eight Gigabit Ethernet SFP-based ports and support of Gigabit Cisco EtherChannel technology enables larger uplink and downlink pipes between floors and enhanced resiliency. Enhanced uplink bandwidth to two 10-Gigabit Ethernet XENPAK-based ports further improves network scalability for support of bandwidth-intensive applications such as daily desktop backups, e-learning, and video broadcasting.
Service Providers or Enterprise Edge Services
The Supervisor Engine 32 is targeted for the WAN edge and Metro Ethernet access layer. Equipped with PFC3B, the Supervisor Engine 32 extends the intelligence of Supervisor Engine 720 to the access layer, providing an end-to-end architecture and features consistency. It offers advanced hardware-accelerated IP services such as Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), IPv6, Network Address Translation (NAT), generic routing encapsulation (GRE) tunneling, ACLs, rate limiting, and advanced QoS to enable service providers to build feature-rich networks. The uplinks of Supervisor Engine 32 can also support SRR for rate limiting traffic.
The Cisco Catalyst 6504 or Cisco 7604 chassis, together with Supervisor Engine 32 and up to three service modules, forms an ideal service appliance. Service modules like the content services module (CSM) and Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) module can be deployed together for content switching services. The firewall module and intrusion detection services (IDS) module can be deployed together as a security appliance. The wireless services module (WLSM) with GRE tunneling capability on the Supervisor Engine 32 supports mobile IP. These advanced services can then be distributed in the network over the integrated eight-port Gigabit Ethernet uplinks or two-port 10 Gigabit Ethernet uplinks from the Supervisor Engine 32.
FEATURES AND BENEFITS
Table 1 lists the features and benefits of the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series/Cisco 7600 Series Supervisor Engine 32.
Table 1. Features and Benefits of Supervisor Engine 32
Identity-based networking services with IEEE 802.1x:
• VLAN ID assignment
• Security ACL assignment
• QoS policy assignment
• Unidirectional controlled port for "wake-on-LAN" applications
• Port Security on Access, 802.1Q Trunks and 802.1Q Tunneling ports
Provides local containment of security threats and protects networks against security vulnerabilities, including malicious and inadvertent intrusion
Hot-Swapping of Standby Supervisor Engines
• Layer 2 rapid convergence protocol suite includes:
· IEEE 802.1s, multiple spanning trees
· IEEE 802.1w, rapid reconfiguration of spanning tree
· Per-VLAN rapid spanning tree (PVRST)
• Hardware redundancy with subsecond stateful failover and Layer 2 resiliency through 802.1x high availability
• Fault management:
· Fault detection and troubleshooting
· System health check
· Enhanced memory protection
· Proactive detection and prevention of network equipment failures using GOLD
Ensures business continuity through minimizing network downtime for mission-critical applications
Switched Port Analyzer (SPAN), Remote SPAN (RSPAN)
Enables remote troubleshooting from anywhere, reducing troubleshooting time and tool costs
Two USB 2.0 ports (hardware ready, software support post-first customer shipment [FCS])
Enables direct access from laptops for network management, simplifies software downloading using USB memory devices, and enhances security by enabling USB keys on console port to limit access to authorized personnel
Identifies frequency that specific ACL entries are hit for ease of management
Cisco SmartPort macros, config rollback, and switch profiles
Simplifies operational complexity
SNMPv3, SSH Protocol Version 2, Secure Copy Protocol (SCP)
Enables efficient video broadcasting, e-learning, and information sharing
Integrated high-density uplinks-eight Gigabit Ethernet SFP-based ports or two 10-Gigabit Ethernet XENPAK-based ports
Increases uplink density and saves slots to deploy integrated service modules or higher-density chassis
Backward compatibility-supports all Cisco Catalyst 6500 classic and Cisco Express Forwarding 256-based modules and services modules; supported in all Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series and Cisco 7600 Series Router chassis
Allows deployment of new advanced services on existing equipment, prolonging the deployment lifetime of interface modules and providing greater return on investment
• Advanced QoS uses packet classification and marking and congestion avoidance based on Layer 2-4 header information
• User-based rate limiting enforces any of 64 policy rates, maintaining service-level agreements on a per-user basis independent of traffic type or IP address
• QoS scheduling rules with thresholds can be configured in the switch for multiple receive and transmit queues
Superior traffic management enables efficient handling of converged networks that carry a mix of mission-critical, time-sensitive, and bandwidth-intensive multimedia applications
• Hardware-enabled MPLS-Enables use of VPNs and Layer 2 tunneling while improving traffic engineering for QoS and adding multiprotocol support
• Hardware-enabled IPv6-Expands available IP addresses, enabling better address allocation and address aggregation and supporting greater end-to-end connectivity and services
• Hardware-enabled GRE tunnels for IP traffic
• NAT (hardware ready, software support post-FCS)-Translates addresses for inbound and outbound traffic in hardware, allowing clean separation between internal and external networks
Advanced Layer 2-4 forwarding enables service providers and enterprises to build feature-rich networks
The Supervisor Engine 32 extends the intelligent services of the Supervisor Engine 720 to the access layer, and at the same time provides performance and price points suitable for the LAN access, WAN edge, and Metro Ethernet access.
• Occupies one slot in a Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series or Cisco 7600 Series Router chassis
• Dimensions (H x W x D): 1.6 x 15.3 x 16.3 in. (4.0 x 37.9 x 40.3 cm)
• Operating temperature: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
• Storage temperature: -40 to 167°F (-40 to 75°C)
• Relative humidity: 10 to 90 percent, noncondensing
• Operating altitude: Sea level to 6500 ft (1981 m)
• UL 60950
• CSA-C22.2 No. 60950
• EN 60950
• IEC 60950
• AS/NZS 60950/TS001
• FCC Part 15 (CFR 47) Class A
• VCCI Class A
• EN55022 Class A
• CISPR 22 Class A
• CE marking
• AS/NZS 3548 Class A
• ETS300 386
• ETHERLIKE-MIB (RFC 1643)
• IF-MIB (RFC 1573)
• Bridge MIB (RFC 1493)
• RMON MIB (RFC 1757)
• ENTITY-MIB (RFC 2037)
• RFC1213-MIB (MIB-II)
SERVICE AND SUPPORT
Whether your company is a large organization, a commercial business, or a service provider, Cisco Systems
® is committed to helping you maximize the return on your network investment. Cisco offers a portfolio of technical support services to help ensure that your Cisco products operate efficiently, remain highly available, and benefit from the most up-to-date system software.
The Cisco Technical Support Services organization offers the following features, providing network investment protection and minimal downtime for systems running mission-critical applications:
• Provides Cisco networking expertise online and on the telephone
• Creates a proactive support environment with software updates and upgrades as an ongoing integral part of your network operations, not merely a remedy when a failure or problem occurs
• Makes Cisco technical knowledge and resources available to you on demand
• Augments the resources of your technical staff to increase productivity
• Complements remote technical support with onsite hardware replacement
Cisco Technical Support Services include:
• Cisco SMARTnet® support
• Cisco SMARTnet Onsite support
• Cisco Software Application Services, including Software Application Support and Software Application Support plus Upgrades