The Internet traffic continues to grow at an explosive rate with the number of users doubling each year. This unsurpassed growth is increasing the demand for higher capacity interfaces from OC3/STM1 to OC48/STM16. In addition, Packet-Over-SONET/SDH (POS) enables efficient transport of IP traffic and uses SONET/SDH concatenated payloads (i.e. STS-3c/VC-4, STS-12c/VC-4-4c or STS-48c/VC-4-16c) to achieve a higher order of statistical multiplexing. At present, concatenated services at VC-4 rates
only are available in some parts of the world (for example Europe), with higher rates not yet readily available. The new channelized OC-12/STS3 line card provides customers in these areas with an STM-4 POS interface which can be provisioned through the legacy network.
The CHOC12/STS3 line card for the Cisco 12000 series Gigabit Switch Router builds on the SONET/SDH channelization capability. This new line card provides four STS-3c/VC-4 POS channels within a single OC-12/STM-4 port.
- Multiple virtual output queues, eliminating head-of-line blocking
- 512-KB burst buffers, which smooth out the arriving packet bursts
- Default 64 MB/64 MB (TX/RX) packet buffer memory, for Transmission Control Protocol (TCP) goodput
- A Cisco Express Forwarding (CEF) table that can accommodate up to 1 million forwarding entries
- Application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC)-based queuing
- Quality-of-service (QoS) support
- Configurable with up to 256 MB of code and route table memory
- Support for a standard suite of POS routing protocols and encapsulations
- Supports optional use of DCEF loadsharing across some or all of the embedded channels
- Standards-compliant SONET/SDH interface
- Single bidirectional STM-4 physical interface channelized to four VC-4 logical router interfaces
- Supports OC-12 channelized to four STS-3c for the North American SONET market
- SONET/SDH alarm processing
- SONET/SDH APS1
- Support for SONET DCC channels1
- Single-mode intermediate reach line card that complies with Bellcore GR-253, ITU G.707, and G.703
- Interworks with both Line and Trib interfaces of commonly available SDH ADM equipment
Table 1: Fiber Power Budget
For additional information, please contact the GSR marketing team at email@example.com .