Your customers and stakeholders are demanding more from IT than ever. Your IT infrastructure needs to support the rapidly changing needs of your customers, and to keep customer satisfaction high, the availability and performance of critical IT services must meet or exceed expectations. How do you know if you have performance bottlenecks? Are all the components of your Cisco Unified Computing System
™ (UCS) operating normally? IT must have the answers to these questions.
BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management (PPM)-Cisco Unified Computing System Edition (BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System) is designed to help IT managers develop baselines and optimize the behavior of their applications and IT infrastructure. As one of the integration points for the Cisco Unified Computing System within the BMC portfolio, BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System provides a powerful tool for monitoring and controlling Cisco Unified Computing System performance.
BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System provides a range of critical capabilities to IT managers. Cisco
® UCS infrastructure is automatically discovered, so IT can confirm the configuration of their Cisco Unified Computing System. When the system is managed, BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System measures the availability and performance of critical system parameters (Figure 1). Problems are identified earlier, and troubleshooting occurs much faster. BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System even tracks and reports on energy consumption, so administrators can make even more informed decisions to help them run the Cisco Unified Computing System to best meet the needs of the organization.
Figure 1. Information Collected in BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System Is Reported to the BMC ProactiveNet Performance Management Console
BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System integrates transparently with the BMC Business Service Management (BSM) architecture, enabling complete lifecycle support for Cisco Unified Computing System operations in heterogeneous environments with BMC. Instead of point tools to monitor, automate, support, and plan for future requirements, BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System, as part of the Cisco Unified Computing System, provides a far more effective model for managing the Cisco Unified Computing System. Furthermore, because these same tools can be used elsewhere in the data center, IT can better manage the entire data center and the IT services delivered from that data center.
Main Features of BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System
From planning deployments to helping ensure the availability and performance of services, IT administrators can use BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System to help ensure successful operation of the Cisco Unified Computing System. BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System provides the following features:
• Inventory: Understand what you are managing
– Discovers all internal components of servers
– Performs an inventory of devices and provides detailed information about each device
• Monitoring: Constantly check the availability and performance of Cisco UCS components
– RAID controllers, hard disks, and volume availability
– CPU, memory, error-correcting code (ECC) errors, and other critical components
– Network adaptors, bandwidth utilization, and data traffic
• Diagnostics: Get information to quickly troubleshoot problems
– Details about each monitored component to facilitate its replacement should a failure occur (vendor, model, serial number, part number, field-replaceable unit [FRU] number, and location in the chassis)
– Full hardware health reports displaying detailed information about failures, their consequences, and how to fix them
– Ethernet traffic report on each port in MBps or the total amount of data that transited, in and out, in gigabytes per hour or per day
• Capacity: Measure and get reports about capacity and utilization to enable smart growth
– Details about the capacity of the monitored system: number of physical CPUs, amount of memory, overall size of disks and volumes, and number of connected ports
– Report of SAN and network traffic to check for bottlenecks
• Power: Monitor energy consumption and temperature of critical Cisco UCS components
– Live monitoring (in watts [W]) for each switch, blade chassis, and individual blade and rack-mount server
– Energy use reports (in kilowatt hours [kWh]) on a daily basis
Main Benefits of Integration with Cisco Unified Computing System
BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System offers a range of benefits for Cisco Unified Computing System customers, including:
• Increased uptime of critical services: Anticipate problems and rapidly resolve problems that occur.
• Improved insight into Cisco UCS deployments: Get a single inventory of components on servers, and reports that summarize daily and current Cisco Unified Computing System availability, performance, and activity.
• Reduced cost of Cisco UCS deployments: Less effort is needed to administer the Cisco Unified Computing System, decision making related to infrastructure growth and power consumption is improved.
• Replacement of isolated management silos with a single consolidated view: Integrate Cisco UCS management information across multiple Cisco Unified Computing System instances and infrastructure management other than the Cisco Unified Computing System (Figure 2).
Figure 2. Addition of Management of Cisco UCS Devices Is Straightforward, Graphical, and Custom-Built for Cisco Unified Computing System Management
BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System is designed specifically for the Cisco Unified Computing System. It manages critical components of the Cisco Unified Computing System, such as:
Furthermore, BMC PPM for Cisco Unified Computing System can manage servers running in several configurations, including:
• VMware ESX 4.0
• Microsoft Windows
– Microsoft Windows Server 2008 Release 2 (R2)
– Microsoft Windows Server 2008
– Microsoft Windows Server 2003 R2
Cisco has significant experience in listening to customer requirements and providing solid technology innovation for the enterprise data center. Cisco delivers standards-based solutions backed by a broad partner ecosystem of industry leaders to provide end-to-end customer solutions. Unified computing elevates the traditional product classification of network, server, storage, operating systems, and applications to a data center-wide vision. Cisco, as one of the largest technology providers in the world, has the resources, expertise, and customer focus to deliver on this vision.