This document describes an issue encountered when you install Cisco Unified Attendant Console (CUAC) on a Microsoft Windows Server.
Cisco recommends that you have basic knowledge of these topics:
- CUAC Installation
- Microsoft Windows Server
The information in this document is based on these software and hardware versions:
- Microsoft Windows Server (Domain Controller)
- Structured Query Language (SQL) Express 2008
The information in this document was created from the devices in a specific lab environment. All of the devices used in this document started with a cleared (default) configuration. If your network is live, make sure that you understand the potential impact of any command.
The latest CUAC release is Advanced 10.5, which is bundled with SQL Server 2008 Express. When you install CUAC on Microsoft Windows Server, you might encounter issues at the stage where it tries to install SQL.
In the lab, this error displayed when an install of CUAC Advanced on a Microsoft Windows Server was attempted:
Setup has failed to detect replication
This error appears when the setup (InstallShield Wizard) reaches the stage of Microsoft SQL Express 2008 Install on the server. Here is some additional information:
- This issue occurs when the server on which you install the CUAC is a domain controller.
- It is recommended not to install SQL Sever 2008 on a domain controller. For more details, refer to the Installing SQL Server on a Domain Controller section in Hardware and Software Requirements for Installing SQL Server 2008 .
- In the CUAC Setup, the automatic SQL Express 2008 installation takes place under the Network service account.
- As per the previously mentioned article, you cannot run SQL Server 2008 services on a domain controller under a local service account or a network service account. This is the reason that automatic SQL Server 2008 installation fails.
- This issue is also encountered whenever CUAC tries to install SQL 2008 on a domain controller.
Set up your CUAC on a Microsoft Windows Server that is NOT a domain controller in order to avoid issues.
There are many limitations when a SQL Server is installed on a domain controller. Refer to Issues with SQL on Domain Controller for more information. However, there is a workaround for this issue with standalone CUAC deployments only:
- Go to the Microsoft site and install the SQL Server 2012 package prior to the install of the CUAC setup.
- Complete these steps in order to install SQL Server 2012 from the Microsoft site:
- Go to http://www.microsoft.com/en-in/download/details.aspx?id=29062.
- Download the package SQLEXPRADV_x64_ENU on your CUAC server prior to the CUAC setup.
- Install it on the server and then reboot.
- Start the CUAC InstallShield Wizard and skip the SQL installation part.