This document describes how to upgrade the Cisco Email Security Appliances (ESAs) that run in a cluster.
When ESAs run in a cluster, they must all use the exact same AsyncOS version and build. If you desire to upgrade the ESAs, you must first disconnect the cluster. After all of the machines are upgraded, you can reconnect the cluster via the clusterconfig command.
Note: When the cluster is disconnected, it does not affect the mail flow; however, any changes that you make while the cluster is disconnected are not propagated to the other systems until the reconnect is complete.
Upgrade ESAs in a Cluster
Note: You can perform the upgrade with the CLI or the GUI, but the reconnect clusterconfig commands are only available via the CLI. This document describes how to upgrade the machines via the CLI.
Complete these steps in order to upgrade ESAs that run in a cluster via the CLI:
- Enter the upgrade command into the CLI in order to upgrade AsyncOS to a newer version. When you are asked whether you wish to disconnect the cluster, respond with the letter Y in order to proceed:
(Machine host1.example.com)> upgrade
You must disconnect all machines in the cluster in order to upgrade them. Do you wish
to disconnect all machines in the cluster now? [Y]> Y
- Follow all of the upgrade prompts (reboot prompt included).
- After all of the machines in the cluster are upgraded and rebooted, log onto a machine in the cluster via the CLI and enter the clusterconfig command.
- Respond Yes in order to reconnect. It is not necessary to commit.
Choose the machine to reattach to the cluster. Separate multiple machines with commas
or specify a range with a dash.
1. host2.example.com (group Main)
2. host3.example.com (group Main)
3. host4.example.com (group Main)