Products covered by this bulletin for Cisco IOS® XE Release 16.9.1
Cisco® Smart Software Licensing only for Cisco Catalyst switches applies to the following switches:
● Cisco Catalyst 9300 Series fixed access switches
● Cisco Catalyst 9400 Series modular access switches
● Cisco Catalyst 9500 Series fixed core and aggregation switches
● Cisco Catalyst 3850 and 3650 Series fixed access switches
Cisco Smart Software Licensing has been put into place starting July 2018 with the Cisco IOS XE 16.9.1 software release. Cisco has designed Smart Licensing to support a simple and flexible licensing structure to provide customers with a single location with automated tools for a way to activate, manage, renew, and upgrade their software products across the Cisco portfolio.
Benefits of Smart Software Licensing include:
● Ability to monitor and manage devices, licenses, and usage in real time or as needed
● Automated license activation, management, and monitoring
● Driving consistency within the Enterprise Network portfolio through standard software offers, licensing platform, and policies
● Introduction of applications and tools to manage Cisco software assets
The first step in realizing the benefits of Cisco’s Smart Software Licensing is to acquire a Cisco Smart Account.
A Cisco Smart Account is an end-user Cisco account that acts as the single source of truth hosted by Cisco, where end users can view purchases, store software assets and information about available software, and software in use, and manage licenses across entire organization(s).
Benefits of a Cisco Smart Account include:
● Visibility of software purchases, management of deployed or available software, and the ability to move assets from one place to another in real time
● Information on SW term purchases and dates of renewals to assist with budgetary planning
● A structure of Software assets that belong to a single account, not individual users, these capabilities extend across an entire organization or entity
● Software assets can be managed by the customer directly, by designated value-added resellers (VARs), or by other authorized parties
A Smart Account can be created using the following link: https://software.cisco.com/software/company/smartaccounts/home?route=module/accountcreation
More information about Cisco Smart Accounts and Smart Software Licensing is located here:
Cisco Smart Accounts Overview
Cisco Smart Software Licensing Overview
Cisco Smart Software Manager Overview
Cisco Smart Software Licensing and Smart Account FAQ
Smart Software Licensing Deployment guide
● A “Smart Account” is an single place where software asset purchases, and information about those assets, can be viewed and managed. It is the account where Smart License-enabled products are registered with Cisco. Legacy Right to Use (RTU) and product activation key (PAK) software assets can also be viewed in a Smart Account.
● “Smart Software Licensing” is a device-based licensing model designed for customers to register their software assets with Cisco.