PDF(156.5 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:October 14, 2008
The optical Protection Switch Module (PSM) for the Cisco
® ONS 15454 Multiservice Transport Platform (MSTP) provides protection against a fiber cut by optically splitting an optical signal over two diverse paths. The PSM (Figure 1) allows three types of protection: single-channel or channel protection (Figure 2); amplified or non-amplified Multiplex Section Protection across the composite C- or L-band (Figure 3); and amplified or non-amplified Path Section Protection across the composite C- or L-band (Figure 4).
Figure 1. Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP Protection Switch Module
• Flexible protection options: The PSM is an addition to the extensive array of protection mechanisms on the Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP, which gives customers the flexibility to choose the appropriate level of protection based on cost and their requirements for network resiliency.
• Cost effectiveness: PSM-based protection is one of the most cost-effective means to provide service resiliency in an optical network. The PMS gives customers an affordable entry-level solution.
• Fast switchover performance: The PSM completes the service switchover in less than 50 milliseconds, which helps ensure minimal disruption to data traffic.
• Easy provisioning and management: The PSM fully integrates with the Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP through Cisco Transport Controller.
• Support for amplified networks: The PSM also works with the Cisco ONS 15454 MSTP amplifiers to extend the reach of the network.
Cisco Services make networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together.
Today, the network is a strategic platform in a world that demands better integration between people, information, and ideas. The network works better when services, together with products, create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
The unique Cisco Lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the network lifecycle to help ensure service excellence. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the forces of Cisco, our skilled network of partners, and our customers, we achieve the best results.