The Industry's First Enterprise-Focused Applications Ecosystem
• Give enterprise IT the controls to effectively manage and secure mobile applications
• Connect Android developers with the resources to build differentiated business applications that deeply integrate Cisco® Collaboration capabilities
• Provide users with secure, on-demand access to the applications they need to be more productive
The Increasingly Mobile Workforce
Figure 1. Workforce Mobilization Requires New Ways to Collaborate
Fifty Percent of Computing Devices Will Be Smartphones and Tablets1.
Seventy-Three Percent of Enterprise Workers Will Be Mobile2.
Eighty Percent of Businesses Will Support Their Workforce With Tablets3.
1Deloitte, Smartphones and tablets: more than half of all computers aren't computers anymore http://www.deloitte.com/view/en_GX/global/industries/technology-media-telecommunications/tmt-predictions- 2011/technology/fd19b1b06ef6d210VgnVCM1000001a56f00aRCRD.htm
3Gartner, Tablets in the Enterprise, March 2011
Figure 2. The Cisco Cius Business Tablet Has the Power to Transform Business Processes
Cisco AppHQ: A Trusted Source for Transformative Business Applications
• Industry-leading business-to-business applications that deeply integrate Cisco Collaboration capabilities and will help transform business processes across enterprises and industries
• Business-to-business and business-to-consumer applications from developer partners
Figure 3. A Multistep Validation Process Is Performed on All Applications Certified by Cisco for the Cisco Cius Tablet
• File scan: In this first step, the application is searched for known threats, exploits, profanity, and malicious hosts or URLs. The software is also scanned for private application-programming-interface (API) calls, executable or "hidden" binaries, root- and system-level privileges, inter- and intranet connections, and meet app type and category permissions. For example, if a calendar-based application asks for permission to access the contacts directory of a mobile application, the file scan flags this request to Cisco. Cisco then engages with the application developer to confirm that permission is necessary and justified.
Ultimately, when enterprises know which permissions have been granted in an application, they can make more informed decisions about which applications they should make available to users.
• Functional testing: During this step, the application undergoes a variety of tests to validate critical functions, including install/uninstall, application run time, buttons and links, app store description, and display.
• Performance testing: In this final step, resource usage for the CPU, memory, and battery is tested. App release device features such as camera and recorder performance are also tested.
Figure 4. All Applications in Cisco AppHQ Have Been Cisco-Validated
Cisco AppHQ Manager: A Comprehensive Management Suite for Collaborative Applications
Figure 5. Enterprises Have Innovative Application Deployment Options for Cisco Cius Applications
• Cost-effective application selection and deployment: Strata Motors publishes only the applications it needs in the company-controlled applications center. The company can select applications from Cisco AppHQ and from Android Marketplaces. It can also publish applications that have been developed for or by Strata Motors. This custom applications center reduces software management costs by making it easier for users to find the applications they need. It also increases security and streamlines application deployment.
• Flexible provisioning: Because all applications have been preapproved, IT can opt to let users download the applications they need on demand. If desired, Strata Motors can restrict or permit access to specific applications based on security policies. IT can assign permissions by:
– Groups of users such as sales, finance, etc.
– User roles such as executive, administrative staff, etc.
• Corporate or personal purchases: Strata Motors can acquire applications by purchase order or corporate credit card.
• Release management the IT way: Strata Motors' IT can also control how applications are used by end users with enforceable policies. For example, if Strata Motors standardizes on a given release of an application and a new release is published to Cisco AppHQ, Strata Motors can automatically accept the release because it has been validated as "secure" by Cisco. In turn, Strata could opt to "sandbox" the release, pending further testing within its infrastructure for the effect of the release on other applications. After testing, Strata could then accept or reject the release. Strata Motors retains control throughout the application lifecycle.
• Licensing options: Strata Motors can track licenses by corporate-owned applications or by employee-owned applications. It is the company's choice.
• Sandboxing applications: New applications can be "sandboxed" for testing prior to making them available to users. Or applications can be tested by Cisco as a service if Strata Motors does not have the tools or resources.
• Powerful reporting: The IT team can continuously improve the company's application library by monitoring applications usage and collecting feedback and ratings from users. They can also collect feedback from the larger community of individuals and companies that purchase applications from Cisco AppHQ. These powerful reporting tools can help control software costs, because instead of basing purchasing decisions on anecdotal information, IT can purchase only those applications that users deem valuable. Reporting also enhances user productivity, because users spend less time locating the applications they need to perform their work.
Cisco AppHQ: A Community for Developers
Figure 6. Cisco AppHQ Gives Android Developers Access to New Cisco Cius Users Around the World
• Enhance existing enterprise applications by embedding powerful Cisco Collaboration and Unified Communications capabilities
• Simplify development of a new class of Android-based enterprise applications that deeply integrate Cisco Collaboration capabilities
• Share information, get support, and communicate with other developers through Cisco Developer Network forums and communities
• Accelerate application development with tools, training, and resources
• Affordably test unified communications and collaboration integration for work-in-process apps with Cisco Remote Access Validation Environment (RAVE) labs or DeviceAnywhere
• Submit applications to Cisco AppHQ for validation testing and receive feedback within 48 hours; the Cisco AppHQ team works with the developer to remediate any problems detected, such that the application can then be resubmitted for testing
• Obtain Cisco Cius business tablets through loaner or developer pricing purchase programs
• Gain sales momentum through the Cisco addressable market
• Connect to new and enhanced market opportunities worldwide
Cisco AppHQ: An Intuitive, Powerful Storefront Your Users Will Want to Use
Figure 7. The Cisco AppHQ User Interface for Cisco Cius is Simple, Intuitive, and User-Friendly
• Feature-rich, intuitive search functions: From a single destination, you can search for apps by name, by category, and by industry or developer. You can also search by highest-rated apps, newest apps, version, and publication date.
• Simple, efficient, flexible procurement: You simply click to quickly purchase, download, and install individual apps from the Cisco AppHQ storefront. This transaction, using a personal or corporate credit card, offers the same convenience as consumer app stores. For companies like the fictitious Strata Motors, that take advantage of Cisco AppHQ Manager to create their own custom application center, you choose from IT-published apps that are owned and managed by the company.
• Community ratings and feedback: You can rate apps, request features, and make recommendations to the business and the developer community through discussion groups and other social media tools.
• Collaboration applications such as Cisco WebEx®, Cisco Jabber™, Cisco Pulse®, Cisco Quad™, Cisco Show and Share®, Cisco Unity® Connection, Cisco Unified Presence, and Visual Voicemail applications
• Branded market apps
• Strategic partner apps such as QuickOffice, Adobe Flash Version 10.1, and Virtual Desktop Integration (VDI) apps from Wyse, Citrix, and VMware
• Cisco Solution Plus Partners' apps such as IPCelerate, Singlewire, Synapps, and Andtek
• Industry apps for virtually every industry
• IT Google apps from the Android Marketplace
• Borderless Networks
• The Cisco Cius business tablet
• The Cisco Developer Network Marketplace for services and solutions
• The user-friendly, Cisco-hosted Cisco AppHQ storefront for secure Cisco Cius applications validated by Cisco
• The optional Cisco AppHQ Manager for the creation of a company-controlled applications center hosted by Cisco
• A vibrant developer community to develop and market transformative business applications for the Cisco Cius tablet
Get Ready for a New Era
For More Information