Figure 1. Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server Starter Pack Express Bundle
The Cisco TelePresence® Video Communication Server (VCS) Starter Pack Express is a feature-packed on-premises solution targeted to small and medium-sized businesses (SMBs) that are deploying a telepresence system for the first time. It allows these businesses to experience high-quality, enterprise-grade videoconferencing without spending a fortune on specialized equipment while providing a platform that allows for further infrastructure expansion (Figure 1).
The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express provides immediate access to Cisco Jabber® Video for TelePresence licenses for desktop video collaboration, basic management, and provisioning for a range of devices (Figure 2). Furthermore, the Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express features a scaled-down Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server Expressway (Cisco VCS Expressway) solution for firewall traversal and business-to-business communications. Cisco TelePresence FindMe functions are also included as part of the Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express; FindMe allows you to control how you are contacted; that is, on any device or at any location.
The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express features an intuitive setup wizard for quick deployment and configuration. The wizard requires only basic knowledge of the IT network, allowing you to start collaborating immediately with remote colleagues, partners, and customers, thus improving productivity and enhancing business competitiveness.
Figure 2. Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express with Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence
Features and Benefits
• Affordable: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express is a low-cost solution designed to suit the budget of SMBs. It provides enterprise-quality videoconferencing with H.323 and Session Initiation Protocol (SIP) support for interoperability with third-party videoconferencing solutions.
• All-in-one solution: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express is a fully integrated solution with a built-in setup tool that requires minimal IT knowledge, making it ideal for small businesses.
• Simple management: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express features a simple management console for efficient administration of FindMe users and endpoints in the network.
• Compatible with future versions: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express is built on the Cisco VCS Architecture, which provides a smooth upgrade path as telepresence needs expand, protecting an initial investment.
• Secure connectivity: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express facilitates external videoconferencing reliably and securely using preinstalled firewall traversal functions, eliminating the need for additional firewall traversal infrastructure.
• Device provisioning templates: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express supports device provisioning including device authentication, bandwidth limitations, and phone book information for a wider range of devices, including Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence, Cisco TelePresence System EX and MXP Series endpoints, and Cisco IP Video Phone E20.
– The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express allows you to be contacted on any device or at any location, through a single FindMe ID.
– You can also set up rules that associate devices such as endpoints, Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence, mobile phones, and so on with particular locations.
– The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express permits end users to add new principal and nonprincipal endpoint devices and administer their device preferences through a self-care interface, eliminating the need to have dedicated IT staff for simple endpoint administration.
– Administrators can also set up a group FindMe for a team of people such as a support desk.
• Presence server: The presence server in the Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express manages the telepresence video information such as online, offline, and busy for all endpoints in the network. This information allows you to immediately see the availability of colleagues before initiating a telepresence call.
• Firewall traversal:
– Based on Cisco VCS Expressway technology, the Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express is H.460.18/19-compliant.
– The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express uses a standards-based Traversal Using Relays for NAT (TURN) server, supporting Interactive Connectivity Establishment (ICE)-enabled devices with firewall and Network Address Translation (NAT) traversal.
• Bandwidth control: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express allows all provisioned devices to be assigned with optimal bandwidth requirements that ensure the best possible user experience across all devices in the network when bandwidth resources become scarce.
• License extensions: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express has license extensions supporting up to 50 registered devices and 25 concurrent traversal calls.
• Secure management and storage: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express supports Secure HTTP (HTTPS), Secure Shell (SSH), and Secure Copy Protocol (SCP) for secure management and uses Solid State Flash for critical storage.
• Standards compliant: The Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express provides interoperability between SIP and H.323 standards-compliant endpoints.
• Dual network interfaces
• Additional traversal call license (up to 25 traversal calls)
One Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express
• Up to 50 registrations
• Up to 25 traversal calls
Table 1 lists features and benefits of Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express.
Table 1. Features and Benefits
• Web interface that supports Internet Explorer 7, 8, and 9; Firefox 3 and later; and Chrome
Supported telepresence endpoints
• Compatible with any standards-compliant H.323 or SIP videoconferencing or telepresence device
• Provisioning and configuration supported only for Cisco TelePresence endpoints such as Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence, Cisco TelePresence System EX and MXP Series endpoints, and Cisco IP Video Phone E20
• Support for industry standards such as RS-232, HTTP(S), XML, Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP v1, v2, and v3), SCP, and SSH
• Embedded setup wizard on serial port for initial configuration
• Call logging and diagnostics
• Secure appliance-based architecture
• Flash memory and hard drive
• Cisco TelePresence Expressway technology
• H.460.18/19 -compliant
• H.460.18 client-proxy support
• Support for H.460.19 multiplexed media
Resilience and reliability
• Registration survivability at system restart
Session control and registrations
• Support for manual registration of H.323 and SIP endpoints
• Support for H.225/Q.931, H.245 call-control routed mode, and non-call routed mode
• Support for H.323-SIP Interworking Encryption
• Support for H.323-SIP Interworking DuoVideo
• Support for registration of H.323 ID and E.164 aliases and services
• Support for Unicode (UTF-8) registration for global implementation
• Support for Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) dialing
• Support for call policy management (RFC 3880), including call policy and user policy (Cisco TelePresence FindMe)
Zone control and bandwidth management
• Support for subzone area definition for bandwidth management
• Support for flexible zone configuration with named zones and default zone
• Support for forwarding of requests to neighbor zones
• Support for registration control (open, specifically allow, and specifically deny)
• Support for interzone bandwidth management: Definable call-by-call
• Maximum bandwidth per call
• Maximum aggregate bandwidth for all neighboring zones
• Support for intrazone bandwidth management: Definable call-by-call
• Maximum bandwidth per call
• Maximum aggregate bandwidth
• Support for auto-down-speeding if call exceeds per-call maximum
• Support for gateway load balancing
• Support for automatic network failover
• Support for capacity warnings for users and administrators
Physical dimensions (H x W x D)
• 1.72 x 16.8 x 18 in. (43.5 x 426 x 457.2 mm)
• 1 rack unit (1RU) rack-mount chassis
• Four 10/100/1000BASE-TX Ethernet ports (RJ-45) (front)
• One RS-232 console port (RJ-45)2 (front)
• 17.6 lb (8 kg) (unpacked)
• Autosensing 250W (maximum) 580 BTU per hour power supply
• 90-264 VAC full range at 47-63 Hz
• Five 40-millimeter fans for system cooling
System control and indications
• One power LED
• One alarm LED
• One power on/off switch (rear)
• Four act/link/10/100/1000 LEDs on Ethernet ports
• Operating temperatures: 32 to 104°F (0 to 40°C)
• Storage temperatures: -4 to 140°F (-20 to 60°C)
• Relative humidity: 10 to 90% (noncondensing)
• LVD 73/23/EC
• EMC 89/366/ECC
• Cisco VCS Version X7 ICSA Labs certified
Approvals and compliance
• Directive 73/23/EEC (Low Voltage Directive)
• Standard EN 60950
• Directive 89/336/EEC (EMC Directive)
• Standard EN 55022, Class A
• Standard EN 55024
• Standard EN 61000-3-2/-3-3
• Approved according to UL 60950 and CAN/CSA C22.2 No. 60950
• Compliance with FCC15B Class A
• Joint Interoperability Test Command (JITC)
Table 2 lists network, management, and security specifications for Cisco VCS Starter Pack Express.
Table 2. Network, Management, and Security Specifications
• Support for Domain Name System (DNS) addressing
• Support for IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously
• IPv4 and IPv6 translation services
• Four 10/100/1000BASE-TX Ethernet ports (RJ-45) (front)
Cisco TelePresence Video Communication Server Starter Pack Express
Comes with: Video Communication Server, 5 traversal calls, up to 50 Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence licenses, Cisco TelePresence PrecisionHD USB Camera, 1 microphone, cables
Ordering Options for the Cisco VCS Starter Pack
Video Communication Server - 5 Traversal Calls for Cisco VCS Starter Pack
Video Communication Server - 10 Traversal Calls for Cisco VCS Starter Pack
Video Communication Server - 20 Traversal Calls for Cisco VCS Starter Pack
Video Communication Server Starter Pack Upgrade to VCS Control - TMS, Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence 100 users
Video Communication Server Starter Pack Upgrade to VCS Expressway - TMS, Cisco Jabber Video for TelePresence 100 users
Video Communication Server - Dual Network Interface feature
Service and Support
Cisco offers a wide range of services programs to accelerate customer success. These innovative services programs are delivered through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco Services, visit Cisco Technical Support Services or Cisco TelePresence Services online.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco Video Communication Server Starter Pack Express, please visit http://www.cisco.com/go/telepresence or contact your local Cisco account representative or authorized Cisco partner. Product specifications are estimates and subject to change without notice.