Cisco® AS5350XM Universal Gateways offer unparalleled capacity and the flexibility to deploy advanced voice, fax, and remote-access services. With more than 24 million ports deployed, Cisco Systems® customers worldwide have shown that Cisco AS5000s provide the scale, reliability, and suite of services required to meet market demands. The Cisco AS5350XM offers best-in-class voice, fax, and remote-access services in one rack unit (RU). The rich set of Cisco IOS® Software features available in the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway makes the platform versatile and deployable in a wide range of network architectures.
The Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway chassis has three slots that can take trunk cards, high-density packet voice/fax digital signal processor (DSP) feature cards, and universal port DSP cards. Mixing high-density packet voice/fax feature cards and universal port DSP cards in the same chassis is not supported. The following feature card options allow you to customize the platform configuration to meet specific customer needs:
• The trunk card options available for this platform are 2CT1, 2CE1, 4CT1, 4CE1, 8CT1, 8CE1, and CT3.
• The high-density packet voice/fax feature card (AS5X-FC) available for this platform supports from 1 to 6 DSP modules (AS5X-PVDM2-64) providing scalability from 64 to 384 voice and fax ports per card.
• The universal port DSP card options available for this platform are NP108 (108 universal ports) and NP60 (60 universal ports).
This document describes how to order the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway and the relevant software licenses required for the gateway features.
Before You Begin
Before you begin, have the following information ready:
• Is an AC or DC power supply required? Is a non-redundant or a redundant power supply preferred?
• What is the ingress trunk type?
– The platform supports CT1, CE1, and CT3 ingress trunks.
• What cable or connector type is required to connect the trunks?
– Specific cable types such as DB15, RJ-45, BNC, etc. may be required to connect the E1/T1 trunks to the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway. The RJ-45 is sometimes referred to as RJ-48C.
– Signaling System 7 (SS7) signaling is also supported with the use of an external call agent such as the Cisco BTS 10200 Softswitch or the Cisco PGW 2200 Softswitch.
• If T1 or E1 cables will be used for ingress, does the customer need the optional eight PRI breakout cable rack-mount bracket to organize cabling?
• Which of the following kinds of calls will be terminated on the platform?
– Voice calls, Voice Extensible Markup Language (VXML), modem calls, ISDN digital calls, wireless (V.110 or V.120) calls, or a combination of these?
• Which applications need to be supported: Packet voice and fax, or universal port (dial-up/remote access in combination with voice), or dial only?
– Choose bundles or starter kit configurations that include high-density packet voice/fax feature cards and DSP modules for voice and fax applications.
– Choose bundles or starter kit configurations that include universal port DSP feature cards for combined voice, fax, and remote access applications.
– Choose bundles or starter kit configurations that include dial DSP feature cards for remote access applications. The AS5XM-DIAL-60NP and AS5XM-DIAL-108NP DSP feature cards offer a lower price point, but upgrades to support voice require a hardware trade-in.
• How many simultaneous sessions need to be supported?
– The maximum number of sessions that can be supported on one chassis varies, depending on the application. The Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway supports a maximum of 550 voice or 216 dial sessions. Using the high-density packet voice/fax feature card, the Cisco AS5350XM supports up to 360 (12 E1 interfaces) or 550 (1 CT3 interface) G.711 voice or fax calls on IOS 15.0.1M. Consult your Cisco representative to determine the performance and capabilities of the platform for your specific applications.
• Is the AMR narrowband codec required?
– AMR narrowband codec support is available with the high-density packet voice/fax feature card. To activate the AMR codec, order the Cisco AS5350XM AMR narrowband codec license (part number FR535XM-AMR-LIC); pricing is per platform.
• Is the platform used along with the Cisco PGW 2200 or any other vendor's SS7 controller?
– To use the Integrated Signaling Link Terminal (SLT) feature, order the Cisco AS5350XM Cisco IOS Software Integrated SLT License (part number FR535XM-SLT-LIC); pricing is per platform.
• What Cisco IOS Software features are required?
– Basic Cisco IOS Software features are present in the IP Plus feature set.
– Applications requiring Triple Data Encryption Standard (3DES) encryption, such as Secure Shell (SSH) Protocol Version 2, need the IP PLUS 3DES feature set.
– Lawful Intercept is supported in the IP PLUS 3DES LAWFUL INTERCEPT feature set.
– X.25, AppleTalk, and other non-IP protocols are supported on the ENTERPRISE PLUS feature set.
– Enterprise applications requiring 3DES encryption need the ENTERPRISE PLUS 3DES feature set.
– Session border controller (SBC) features facilitate direct IP connectivity between independent VoIP and video networks. The Cisco Multiservice IP-to-IP Gateway is an integrated Cisco IOS Software application that runs on the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway, and is available in the INT VOICE/VIDEO IPIPGW, TDMIP GW EPLUS and IOS INT VOICE/VIDEO IPIPGW, TDMIP GW LI feature sets.
Basic feature licenses for voice and dial applications on the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway are included in the price of the DSP feature cards. A feature license is required to use the AMR narrowband codec, Cisco Multiservice IP-to-IP Gateway SBC features, Cisco Gatekeeper, and integrated SLT features.
Optional Feature Licenses
• Feature license for the AMR Narrowband Codec on the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway (part number FR535XM-AMR-LIC)
– This feature is designed to allow connectivity between GSM, US-TDMA, and PDC networks. AMR is the 3GPP mandatory standard codec for narrowband speech and multimedia messaging services over GSM networks.
• Feature license for the Cisco Multiservice IP-to-IP Gateway SBC features and Cisco Gatekeeper on the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway (part number FL-INTVVSRV-5X)
– Operating a Cisco IOS Software image with support for the Cisco Multiservice IP-to-IP Gateway or Cisco Gatekeeper feature set requires the purchase of an integrated voice and video services feature license. Cisco Multiservice IP-to-IP Gateway features can operate concurrently with public-switched telephone network (PSTN) voice gateway features. Direct IP interconnections between VoIP networks lower costs, lower latency, improve voice quality, and offer greater flexibility to support emerging services. The Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway supports up to 600 concurrent IP-to-IP calls (i.e. 1200 sessions with VAD off) in media flow-through mode.
• Feature license for the Integrated SLT feature on the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway (part number FR535XM-SLT-LIC)
– The Integrated SLT feature pulls existing Cisco distributed Message Transfer Part (MTP) SS7 signaling architecture functions-previously available only on Cisco 26xx-based SLTs-directly onto a single Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway. Like the Cisco 26xx-based SLT, the Integrated SLT on a Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway backhauls upper-layer SS7 protocols across an IP network using Cisco Reliable User Datagram Protocol (RUDP), terminating the MTP1 and MTP2 layers of the SS7 protocol stack at the media gateway controller (MGC).
Performance and Capacity
The performance and capacity of the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway varies for different applications. For example, the gateway supports up to 550 voice or 216 dial sessions at up to 12 calls per second. Consult your Cisco representative for performance characteristics for the specific applications that you will run on the gateway.
The Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway occupies one rack unit (RU), or 1.73 inches of rack space. The maximum power consumption of one Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway is 168W in the 8E1 configuration with 216 active calls. The heat dissipation is 573 BTUs/hour.
The Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway offers multiple codecs to meet interoperability, compression, and latency requirements for a variety of voice applications. The Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway supports the voice codecs in Table 1 and Table 2.
Maximum Channel Capacity per Feature Card (AS5X-FC)
Table 2. Codec Support: Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway with Universal Port Feature Card
DSP Feature Card
Cisco AS5359XM Voice/Universal Port Feature Card (AS5XM-VUFC-108NP, AS5XM-VUFC-60NP)
• G.711 mu-law
• G.711 a-law
• Fax pass-through
• Modem pass-through
• Clear channel codec
• G.723.1 5.3K, 6.3K
• G.726 16K, 24K, 32K
• G.729ab, G729a
• T.38 Fax Relay
Maximum Channel Capacity per Universal Port Feature Card for All Codec Types
• 60 per AS5XM-VUFC-60NP
• 108 per AS5XM-VUFC-108NP
Ordering a System
Cisco has created easy-to-order bundle options for the most commonly used configurations. This saves you time and effort in configuring the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway and offers a significant pricing advantage.
Choose the appropriate bundle based on the requirements (refer to the previous sections).
Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway easy-to-order bundles contain the following products (quantities vary based on the configuration):
• Cisco IOS Software IP Plus feature set
• DSP feature cards-maximum six per chassis, a mix of DSP feature cards is not supported
Table 3 through 6 list the easy-to-order bundles available. The bundles in Table 3 include the number of high-density packet voice/fax feature cards and DSP modules required to support the full DS0 capacity of the bundle with all codec types: high, medium, and low complexity.
Table 3. Cisco AS5350XM Voice (PVDM2) High-Density Easy Order Bundles
Number of PRI Cards
Number of High-Density Packet Voice/Fax Feature Cards and PVDM2 DSP Modules
The bundles in Table 4 include the number of high-density packet voice/fax feature cards and DSP modules required to support the full DS0 capacity of the bundle using the low complexity codec set. In these configurations the Cisco AS5350XM can also process calls using medium and high complexity codecs, but there are sufficient DSP resources available to support the full DS0 capacity of the bundle using low complexity codecs only.
Cisco AS5000XM 60 and 108 voice or universal port feature cards
CT3 Trunk Card Options
In addition to the trunk card AS535-DFC-CT3A, the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway also supports AS535-DFC-CT3 trunk cards shipped after January 2005. An AS535-DFC-CT3 card supported on the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway includes the following product identifier printed on a label attached to a chip on the card:
• 73-4089-07 or higher
A photograph of an AS535-DFC-CT3 label for a CT3 trunk card supported on the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway is shown in Figure 1.
Figure 1. Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateways Support AS535-DFC-CT3 Cards Labeled 73-4089-07 or Higher
The Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway does not support AS535-DFC-CT3 trunk cards shipped before January 2005. Older AS535-DFC-CT3 trunk cards include the following product identifier printed on the label:
• 73-4089-06 or lower
The Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway will reject older AS535-DFC-CT3 trunk cards and display an error message when an unsupported CT3 trunk card is installed.
You can order optional 19- or 24-inch rack-mount kits (part numbers AS5350RM-19 or AS5350RM-24, respectively), cables, and cable shelves.
For a complete list of all orderable parts, spares, and bundles for the Cisco AS5350XM Universal Gateway, search for the Cisco AS5350XM product line on the Pricing tool at https://tools.cisco.com/qtc/pricing/MainServlet. (Cisco.com login is required)
This section provides some typical orders that you can use as a reference order.
North American Voice over Broadband Service
This order is for a North American customer who is expanding the capacity of their voice over broadband network, offering G.711 (low complexity) services. The voice service provider needs a CT3 interface to the public switched telephone network (PSTN) with sufficient DSP resources to support the low complexity codec feature set only, the Cisco IOS Software IP Plus feature set, and the necessary cabling for 110-VAC power; the SP will use PRI signaling. You could use the AS5350XM CT3 low complexity easy-to-order bundle (part number AS535XM-CT3-V-LC), which automatically contains the products shown in Table 9.
Table 9. System Configuration for North American Voice over Broadband Service Provider
This order is for a European customer who is expanding the capacity of their voice network to introduce innovative new services. The voice service provider needs an 8E1 (240 DS0) interface to the public switched telephone network (PSTN) and support for a broad range of codec types. You have determined that the service provider needs a single Cisco AS5350XM with sufficient DSP resources to support, high, medium, and low complexity codecs, the Cisco IOS Software INT VOICE/VIDEO IPIPGW, TDMIP GW EPLUS feature set, and the necessary cabling for 220-VAC power; the SP will use PRI signaling. You could use the AS5350XM 8E1 high complexity easy-to-order bundle (part number AS535XM-8E1-V-HC), adding Cisco IOS Software for the Cisco Multiservice IP-to-IP Gateway features, the required software feature license, and 1 GB of main SDRAM, as shown in Table 10.
Table 10. System Configuration for Large European Voice Service Provider
This order is for a North American customer who is beginning an Internet service provider (ISP) business. The ISP needs a flexible universal gateway beginning with two CT1s. The customer is starting a voice-only service and anticipates rapid growth.
You have determined that the ISP needs a single Cisco AS5350XM with at least 48 universal port DSPs and the Cisco IOS Software IP Plus feature set, and the necessary cabling for 110-VAC power; the ISP will use PRI signaling.
You could use an easy-to-order bundle (part number AS535XM-2T1-48-V), which automatically contains the products shown in Table 11.
Table 11. System Configuration for Entry-Level Voice Service
Cisco AS5350XM base chassis
Cisco AS5350XM AC power supply
Cisco AS5350XM 2 T1/PRI Dial Feature Card (DFC)
Cisco AS5350XM 60 universal port cards
Cisco AS5350XM with Cisco IOS IP Plus feature set
Power cords, 110V
Cisco AS5350XM 512-MB main DRAM
Cisco AS5350XM 128-MB system compact flash memory
AS5000 Software License Agreement
Indonesia ISP-Data Only
An ISP in Indonesia wants to add capacity to an existing dialup network by adding a network access server to terminate up to 7CE1s terminating at its central office.
You have determined that the ISP needs a single Cisco AS5350XM with one octal CE1 trunk card and at least 216 universal DSP ports, 512 MB of main memory, and a DC power supply. The ISP needs a 1RU octal cable patch panel. The signaling used is E1/R2, and you have verified that the R2 country variant for Indonesia is supported and have determined that the ISP needs the Cisco IOS Enterprise Plus IP Security (IPSec) 3DES feature set.
You need to order the AS5350 8E1 bundle (part number AS535XM-8E1-210-D) and choose the DC power option, 1RU octal cable patch panel, and the Cisco IOS Enterprise Plus 3DES feature set. The complete configuration contains the products indicated in Table 12.
Table 12. System Configuration for Data-Only ISP
AS5350XM Data; 8T1, 216 DSPs, Single AC, IP+ IOS
Cisco AS5350XM DC power supply
Cisco AS5350XM Octal E1/PRI DFC
AS5000XM 108 Dial Port Feature Card
Cisco AS5350XM Cisco IOS Enterprise Plus 3DES feature set
3-meter 8 PRI DFC cable-Female RJ-45
Cisco AS5350XM 512-MB main DRAM
Cisco AS5350XM 128-MB system compact flash memory
DFC octal cable patch panel shelf, 1RU
AS5000 Software License Agreement
Customer Service Call Center
A service provider is implementing the Cisco Customer Voice Portal (CVP) solution and is looking for Cisco AS5350XM gateways to serve as VXML browsers. You have determined that the service provider needs a single Cisco AS5350XM with 240 VXML licenses and a DC power supply.
You need to order the AS5350XM VXML bundle (part number AS535XM-VXML-240-V) and choose the DC redundant power supply. The complete configuration contains the products indicated in Table 13.
Table 13. System Configuration for Customer Service Call Center