Cisco Named Leader in FCoE Switches
IT Brand Pulse recognizes Cisco for excellence in Fibre Channel over Ethernet switches.
As your data center grows, the complexity and expense of maintaining dual storage and network interfaces, cabling, and switch ports becomes significant. Cisco Unified Fabric supports data center convergence by consolidating multi-protocol storage and LAN traffic onto a single, scalable, and intelligent network. This cuts costs and increases efficiency.
Ethernet in the Data Center
Lossless Ethernet facilitates data center convergence and continues to scale in performance as its cost declines. Industry standards now make it easier to carry storage traffic reliably over Ethernet infrastructure using existing switches, cables, and ports. This reduces infrastructure requirements, as well as the cost of power and data center space.
Converged Infrastructure Management
Cisco Data Center Network Management provides intelligent traffic management for data center convergence. This decreases congestion and supports service level agreements to improve availability, security, and mobility. Role-based administration and task automation, as well as extensive monitoring capabilities, simplify infrastructure management.
The encapsulation of existing storage traffic prior to transmission preserves the native format of data storage. This helps IT departments preserve existing operations, security, and traffic management procedures. Storage administrators do not need additional training, and network administrators can leave storage management to the experts.
For more investment protection, Cisco can support a gradual transition to data center network convergence. Unified ports on Cisco Nexus Series models can be transitioned from Ethernet to Fibre Channel through a simple license change.
Cisco has decades of experience managing critical traffic in the data center and a track record for delivering solutions that solve business and technology problems. Cisco has been instrumental in the development of multi-protocol standards to facilitate data center convergence.
Cisco Unified Data Center uses a fabric-based architecture to unify key data center infrastructurecomputing, networking, storage, virtualization and managementinto a single platform. The resulting platform helps organizations realize the full potential of virtualization, cloud computing, mobility, and video.
Lower Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
Cisco Unified Fabric architecture simplifies data center infrastructure by consolidating LAN, storage, and server traffic. This reduces the number of adapters and cables by up to 50 percent; and significantly lowers power and cooling costs.
Cisco is the only vendor to provide a common operating system to maximize optimize efficiency and help ensure reliability for data center convergence. Network management through Cisco Data Center Network Manager (DCNM) further increases operational efficiency, a key design goal of unified fabric delivery.
Increased Business Agility
Cisco Unified Data Center is designed for virtual, machine-aware networking and supports mobility without loss of security, QoS, or overall performance. Applications can be moved efficiently based on CPU load, thermal and environmental variables, and faults.
Simplified Data Migration
Migrating data across a tiered storage infrastructure requires a dynamic data mobility solution. Cisco FCoE technology gives every server easy access to storage resources, helping to enable transparent connectivity for data migration in heterogeneous environments.
Cisco Unified Fabric unifies multi-protocol storage and data networking for a converged, scalable and intelligent network. This can reduce total cost of ownership and protect data center investments-providing an evolutionary approach to data center transformation. Learn more about Cisco products and services for data center convergence.Cisco Nexus 7000 Series Switches
Cisco Nexus 6000 Series Switches
Cisco Nexus 5000 Series Switches
Cisco Nexus 3000 Series Switches
Cisco Nexus 2000 Series Fabric Extenders
Cisco Nexus 1000V Series Switches
Cisco MDS Family
Cisco Data Center Network Manager
Cisco Fabric Manager
Cisco NX-OS Software
Cisco Data Center and Virtualization Services
- Director-Class Fibre Channel over Ethernet Guide
- FCoE Fault Tolerance: Achieving High Availability in a Converged Network
- Fibre Channel over Ethernet web resources
- Fibre Channel Over Ethernet Storage Networking Primer (PDF - 235 KB)
- IEEE 802.1 Data Center Bridging
At-a-Glance Technology Overviews
- AAG: Cisco Unified Fabric Convergence (PDF - 178 KB)
White Papers and Reports
- Cisco Nexus 7000 Switches: Ethernet Storage Directors (PDF - 562 KB)
- Converging LAN and SAN with FCoE (PDF - 1.35 MB)
- Forrester : Benefits of End-to-End Convergence (PDF - 866 KB)
- 2012 Ethernet Switch Brand Leader Report (PDF - 1.15 MB)
- 2012 Network Virtualization Brand Leader Report ( PDF - 1.63 MB)
- Lippis: Simpler Data Center Fabric Emerges (PDF - 1.11 MB)
- Yankee: Data Center Fabric for the Next-Generation Data Center (PDF - 465 KB)
Selected Case Studies
- Insurance Provider Improves Scalability and Services (PDF - 717 KB)
- Coca Cola Bottling Company Virtualizes Data Center (PDF - 133 KB)
- Healthcare Provider Creates High Performance Infrastructure (PDF - 2.35 KB)
- Public Schools Consolidate Data Centers for Cost Savings (PDF - 1.10 KB)
- Engineering Services Firm Upgrades Data Center (PDF - 894 KB)
- Insurance Firm Gains Competitive Edge with Private Cloud (PDF - 3.79 MB)
- Investment Firm Builds Innovative Management Platform (PDF - 854 KB)
Asia Pacific, Japan, China:
- DataOne Asia Builds Secure Cloud Computing Platform (PDF - 410KB)
- DUZON Bizon Hosts Koreas First Enterprise-Class SaaS (PDF - 6.96 KB)
- Geometric (India) Implements Desktop Virtualization (PDF - 85 KB)
Europe, Middle East, Africa, Russia:
- University of Technology Lays Foundation for Cloud (PDF - 350 KB)
- BMW Data Centre Prepares for the Cloud (PDF - 257 KB)
- Serbian Bank Uses Data Center to Accelerate Growth (PDF - 277 KB)
- Swiss Transportation Firm Builds Next Generation Data Center
- Swiss IT Services Firm Provisions Virtual Environments (PDF - 274 KB)
- U.K. Health Services Group Transforms Data Center (PDF - 304 KB)
Hospital Prepares for More Traffic
Find details about hardware devices, software applications, and specialized components that relate to your networking solution.