A license is required for all features except for sample plan files used in the MATE Design application. If you have questions about obtaining a license, contact your Cisco support representative or system administrator.
There are three methods of installing a license, and the method used depends on the type of license you are installing.
- Stand-alone MATE Design—Use either the MATE GUI or the CLI method.
- Collector and web applications—Use either the web UI or the CLI method.
- WAE Core—Use the CLI method.
MATE Design Licenses
- Each license is unique to a specific device.
- Always available (until expiration).
- No network connectivity is required.
- Must be downloaded to an accessible device.
- A single license is shared among users who have permission from the license server.
- After installing the license file once, licenses are automatically checked out from the server when starting the GUI or any CLI tool. When the GUI is closed or the tool stops, the license is checked back into the license server for use by others.
- You must have connectivity to the license server.
- There are a maximum number of licenses, and you cannot check one out if they are all in use.
- The FlexNet Publisher license server must be set up (usually by a system administrator).
- You must either download the floating license to an accessible device, or know the hostname and MAC address of the license server. To connect to a different port, you need to know the license server’s port number.
Install License from MATE GUI
To use the MATE GUI, you need either a dedicated or a floating license. Regardless of the license type, you need only install it one time. If it is a floating license, thereafter when you start MATE Design the floating license will be checked out to you if it is available. By default, licenses are stored in
Note If you previously installed a WAE license, do not use the overwrite option when installing a MATE Design license.
Step 1 Start the MATE GUI from the directory that contains the MATE software package.
Step 2 Select the File->Install License menu.
- If you are installing a dedicated license or if you are installing a floating license and you have it downloaded to an accessible device, follow these steps.
a. Select the “From license file” option.
b. Browse to the location or enter the name of the license file (.lic extension), and click Open.
c. Click OK to confirm the license installation. If there is already a license installed, you are prompted to either merge or replace the existing license. If you are uncertain whether you have a complete set of desired features in the new license, the best practice is to merge the licenses.
- If you are installing a floating license from the license server (that is, you do not have the license file), follow these steps.
Best practice: If using Windows, it is recommended that you specify the port.
a. Select the “Specify license file” option.
b. Enter both the hostname and the MAC address of the license server. The MAC address must be a 12-digit hexadecimal number without any colon ( :) separators.
c. If the port is not specified, ports 27000-27009 are scanned to find the license server port and connect to it. Optionally, you can enter the license server’s TCP port number using a range of 1024 to 65535. The default license server port is 27000.
d. Click OK to confirm the license installation.
Step 3 To verify a license and its features, select the File->License Check menu.
Install License from CLI
You can use the CLI to install licenses for all products, both MATE and WAE.
Note If you are installing both a MATE and a WAE license, you must use the default method that merges the licenses. You are given an option on where to put the license. Choose the same location for both licenses.
- For each license you are installing, run the
license_install tool, passing it the name of the license file (.lic extension). By default, the tool merges the features granted by the new license with those in an existing license.
license_install -file <path>/<filename>.lic
When prompted, enter the number associated with the directory in which you want to install the license.
By default, when using
license_install -file, the tool merges the features granted by the new license with those in an existing license. If you are using only MATE licenses, you can overwrite the existing license using the
-existing-lic overwrite option. Before executing this option, be certain that the new license contains all the necessary features because previous features will no longer be available. Do not use this overwrite option if installing licenses for both MATE and WAE.
license_install -file <path>/<filename>.lic -existing-lic overwrite
license_install -file acme/setup/MATEDEDICATED12345678910111213.lic -existing-lic overwrite
- If you are installing a floating license from the license server (that is, you do not have the license file), use both the
-server-mac options. The MAC address must be a 12-digit hexadecimal number without any colon ( :) separators.
license_install -server-host <license_server_hostname> -server-mac <license_server_MAC_address>
-server-port option is not specified, ports 27000-27009 are scanned to find the license server port and connect to it. Optionally, you can enter the license server’s TCP port number using a range of 1024 to 65535. The default license server port is 27000.
license_install -server-host lic.cisco.com -server-mac 1a2b3c4d5e6f -server-port 27000
To verify a license and its features, run the
license_check tool. To see descriptions of the license features, use the
-detail option (which defaults to true).
Install License from Web UI
Note Do not use the web UI for WAE licenses.
Step 1 Start the web server.
service wae-web-server start
Step 2 Select System->Licenses.
Step 3 Click Upload Licenses.
Step 4 Click Select Licenses.
a. Browse to the location or enter the name of the license file (.lic extension), and click Open.
b. If there is already a license installed, the default is to overwrite the existing license. To merge the two licenses instead, select the merge option. If you are uncertain whether you have a complete set of desired features in the new license, we recommend that you merge the licenses.
c. Click Upload License.
Step 5 Verify the license installed correctly by locating it on the System->Licenses page.