PDF(133.0 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:July 23, 2007
Cisco® is introducing a new fixed-configuration 32-port line-rate 4-Gbps and 2-port line-rate 10-Gbps Fibre Channel switch for the Cisco MDS 9100 Series Multilayer Fabric Switches.
The new Cisco MDS 9134 Multilayer Fabric Switch (part number DS-C9134-K9) offers 32 line-rate, 4-Gbps ports and 2 10-Gbps Fibre Channel line-rate ports. It supports the industry-leading Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS Software that also runs on the Cisco MDS 9000 family of products. The Cisco MDS 9134 (Figure 1) is ready to deploy with minimal configuration and requires no training to operate. The Quick Configuration Wizard simplifies and accelerates the initial fabric activation.
Figure 1. Cisco MDS 9134 with 32 4-Gbps Ports and 2 10-Gbps Ports
The Cisco MDS 9134 offers flexible, on-demand port activation. Through software licensing, ports can be activated in 8-port increments. The default base switch has 24 active ports. Optionally, 8 more 4-Gbps or 2 10-Gbps ports can be activated.
The Cisco MDS 9134 is competitively priced and supports enterprise-class features such as virtual storage area networks (VSANs), PortChannels, nondisruptive code upgrade, security (authentication, authorization, and accounting [AAA], role-based access control [RBAC], etc.), and extensive troubleshooting and diagnostic functions. By offering advanced storage networking capabilities at affordable price points, the Cisco MDS 9134 enables organizations of all sizes to achieve the benefits of intelligent storage area networks (SANs).
The Cisco MDS 9134 can serve as the foundation for small, standalone SANs, as a top-of-the-rack switch, or as an edge switch in large core-edge SAN infrastructures. The Cisco MDS 9134 is fully compatible with the Cisco MDS 9500 Series Multilayer Directors and the Cisco MDS 9200 and 9100 Series Multilayer Fabric Switches, providing transparent, end-to-end service delivery.
• Introduction of the new Cisco MDS 9134 Fibre Channel switch
• Introduction of a copper CX4 X2 transceiver for 10-Gbps Fibre Channel
• Cisco MDS 9134 32-Port Multilayer Fabric Switch
• Cisco MDS CX4 copper transceiver for 10-Gbps Fibre Channel
Specifications of New Switch
• The new switch runs the same operating system, Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS Software, that runs on all Cisco MDS 9000 family platforms.
• The Cisco MDS 9134 default base switch has 24 ports active and two power supplies.
• The on-demand port activation license allows users to activate 4-Gbps ports or 10-Gbps ports: in 8-port increments for 4-Gbps ports and 2 10-Gbps ports.
• Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS Software Release 3.2(1) or later is required.
Table 1 lists the specifications for the new chassis. Table 2 compares the Cisco MDS 9134 to the Cisco MDS 9140 40-Port Multilayer Fabric Switch.
Table 1. Cisco 9134 Switch Specifications
Cisco MDS 9134
Dimensions (H x W x D)
1.75 x 17.5 x 16 in. (4.5 x 44.5 x 40.6 cm)
Weight (fully loaded)
18 lb (8 kg)
Short-wave Small Form-Factor Pluggable (SFP) optics
Copper CX4 X2 transceiver
X2 10-Gbps optics
Table 2. Comparison of Cisco MDS 9134 and Cisco MDS 9140
Cisco MDS 9134
Cisco MDS 9140
Number of ports
32 4-Gbps and 2 10-Gbps ports
4 Gbps and 10 Gbps
Dual power supply
Yes (base switch has 24 active ports; license allows activation of 4-Gbps ports in 8-port increments and 2 10-Gbps ports
Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS Software 3.2(1) or later
Cisco MDS 9000 SAN-OS Software 1.2 or later
Nondisruptive code upgrade
Order Schedule and Lead Time
• Available for order: August 2007 from Cisco; original storage manufacturer (OSM) availability will be different
• Lead time: 2 weeks
• First customer shipment (FCS): Mid August 2007; OSM general availability will be different