Edge Network for a New Media Age
Business Value of the ASR 9000
Learn how the Cisco ASR 9000 redefines value.
Watch Video (2:47 min)
Business Value of the ASR 9000
Cisco ASR 9000
Total Cost of Ownership (TCO)
Meet the demands of visual networking while dramatically minimizing TCO.
Launch TCO Comparison Tool
True Cost of the Network in a Video World
Listen to expert IDC analysis about the impacts of TCO for service provider network infrastructure.
Impact of TCO White Paper
Factual analysis from IDC illustrates how the Cisco ASR 9000 Series offers more capabilities for less cost as compared to alternative platforms.
Read White Paper (PDF - 172 KB)
Today's customers want a higher-quality media experience and more types of content than ever before. They want interactivity, personalization, mobility, and control for all content. Customers also want to access content anytime and anyplace they choose, over any device, whether at home, at work, or on the go.
To deliver this "Connected Life" experience, you need to evolve your edge network and create a medianet, an intelligent network that is optimized for media delivery.
Media application evolution is causing explosive growth in global IP traffic. Personalized content; software as a service; and self-publishing of videos, photos, and blogs require upload speed to match download speed. Long-established edge network paradigms of traffic patterns, network planning, and capacity assumptions have therefore changed forever.
To capture new market opportunities, you need a new level of intelligence and scalability in the edge network.
An industry leader in Carrier Ethernet and IP/MPLS networks, Cisco offers a comprehensive portfolio of edge network solutions that deliver:
- Carrier-class reliability
- Massive capacity and scalability
- Nonstop video and mobile experiences
- Enhanced hierarchical quality of service
- Cisco IOS XR software
- Intuitive instrumentation and management
- Optimized infrastructure power efficiency
Cisco IP Next-Generation Network
The Cisco Carrier Ethernet design is part of an end-to-end Cisco IP Next-Generation Network (IP NGN) architecture (Figure 1). It provides integrated links between service- and application-layer components to create a converged, intelligent, reliable, and scalable edge network. With our edge network solutions, you can:
- Offer consistent and highly reliable transport
- Deliver any type of service anywhere, to any device
Figure 1: Cisco IP NGN Carrier Ethernet Design for Edge Network
Click to enlarge image
Important features and benefits of Cisco edge network solutions include:
- IP over dense wavelength-division multiplexing (IPoDWDM) from the core to the network aggregation layer, reducing network complexity and increasing capacity for video and mobile services
- Carrier-class reliability with 50-millisecond recovery from core to premises, backed by network availability service-level agreements
- Integrated intelligence at the service edge to support greater customer control and personalization
- Integrated broadband mobility services that are adaptable for future high-bandwidth mobile applications and provide highly secure roaming and quality of service
Advanced Access Edge Network Solutions
Cisco Ethernet access platforms help ensure 50-millisecond resiliency past the aggregation point and maintain end-to-end traffic visibility. The Cisco Ethernet access switches and end-to-end approach provide a complete, scalable edge network solution.
Deliver Access While Improving Efficiency
Cisco 10000 Series Routers deliver subscriber awareness for triple-play, broadband, and wholesale access; improve operational efficiency; and facilitate new services deployment.
Offer Highly Secure, Scalable Services
Cisco XR 12000 Series Routers offer highly secure virtualization, integral service delivery, continuous system operation, and multiservice scalability.
Transform the Network Edge
Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers provide exceptional performance, service capabilities, reliability, and efficiencies in a compact form factor.
Optimize Services Transport Routers
Cisco ASR 9000 Series Aggregation Services Routers offer scalability, modular power, and integrated IPoDWDM optimized for Carrier Ethernet, video, and mobile services transport.