• Increase in FXO port density to connect PSTN lines
• Adds VoIP to a legacy TDM PBX or key system
• Converts voice traffic into data packets for transmission over an IP network
• Supports SIP standards for voice and data networking, for reliable voice and fax operation
• Includes highly secure, encryption-based methods for communicating, provisioning, and servicing
Figure 1. Cisco SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway with 4 FXS and 4 FXO Ports
Developed for small businesses, the Cisco® SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway (Figure 1) adapts to the needs of businesses that maintain their own on-premise IP private branch exchange (PBX) or that want to add voice over IP (VoIP) to their legacy time-division multiplexing (TDM) PBX or key system. The SPA8800 can be configured to be a FXO gateway for an Asterisk open source PBX, providing a versatile solution when conditions favor an external device.
Powered by industry-leading VoIP technology from Cisco, the SPA8800 is designed with a solid hardware casing and contains many standard features, including four RJ-11 FXS and four FXO ports, a 10/100BASE-T RJ-45 Ethernet interface to connect to either a router or multilayer switch, and an auxiliary port for local administration. The gateway also includes a single multiport RJ-21 50-pin connector, offering an alternative connection choice for FXO and FXS ports when deploying the gateway in varied environments.
The SPA8800 features a high level of security by implementing state-of-the-art technologies to provide standards-based encryption protocols (Session Initiation Protocol [SIP] over Transport Layer Security [TLS], Secure Real Time Transport Protocol [SRTP], and HTTPS/SSL). The gateway's provisioning capabilities give service providers a secure mechanism not for only remotely managing the device, but also for installing software upgrades without interrupting service and obtaining performance measurements and troubleshooting information.
The Cisco SPA8800 is an affordable IP telephony gateway solution that is ideal for small business environments that have VoIP service and also require a connection to the public switched telephone network (PSTN). It can be used with existing analog telephones and teleconferencing equipment, enabling small business customers to protect and extend their investments.
• Toll-quality voice and carrier-grade feature support: The Cisco SPA8800 delivers clear, high-quality voice communication in diverse network conditions. Excellent voice quality in a demanding IP network is achieved via the advanced implementation of standard voice coding algorithms. The SPA8800 is interoperable with common telephony equipment such as voicemail, fax, PBX, and interactive voice response systems.
• Large-scale deployment and management: The Cisco SPA8800 enables service providers to provide customized services to their subscribers. The gateway can be remotely provisioned and supports dynamic, in-service software upgrades. A highly secure profile upload saves providers the time and expense of managing and preconfiguring or reconfiguring customer premises equipment (CPE).
• Ironclad security: Cisco understands that security for both end users and service providers is a fundamental requirement for a solid, carrier-grade telephony service. The Cisco SPA8800 supports highly secure, encryption-based methods for communication, provisioning, and servicing.
Table 1 contains the specifications and package contents for the Cisco SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway with 4 FXS and 4 FXO Ports. Table 2 compares the Cisco SPA8800 with other Cisco Small Business Voice products. Table 3 gives ordering information for the SPA8800.
Table 1. Specifications for the Cisco SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway with 4 FXS and 4 FXO Ports
* Note: Many specifications are programmable within a defined range or list of options. Please see the Administration Guide for details. The target configuration profile is uploaded to the Cisco SPA8800 at the time of provisioning.
• Cisco SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway with 4 FXS and 4 FXO Ports
• 12V power adapter
• RJ-45 Ethernet cable
• RJ-11 telephone cable - qty 4
• Quick Start Guide
1-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and 90-day limited software warranty
Table 2. Comparison of Cisco Small Business Voice Gateways and Analog Telephone Adapters
Public Switched Telephone Network (FXO) Connections
Cisco PAP2T Internet Phone Adapter with 2 VoIP Ports
Cisco SPA2102 Phone Adapter with Router
Cisco SPA3102 Phone Adapter with Router
Cisco SPA8000 8-Port IP Telephony Gateway
Cisco SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway with 4 FXS and 4 FXO Ports
Cisco WRP400 Wireless-G Broadband Router with 2 Phone Ports
Table 3. Ordering Information
SPA8800 IP Telephony Gateway with 4 FXS and 4 FXO Ports
Power is supplied locally using an AC to 12 VDC power adapter (included), and requires one country-specific cord (selected at time of ordering).
Cisco Small Business Service Offerings
The Cisco Small Business Pro Service provides peace-of-mind coverage at a price you can afford. This service enables you to derive maximum value from Cisco Small Business Pro products. Delivered by Cisco, the device-level, subscription-based service includes software upgrades and updates, extended access to the Cisco Small Business Support Center, and next-business-day hardware replacement as necessary. It provides community-based support to enable small businesses to share knowledge and collaborate using online forums and wikis to help boost business efficiency, identify and reduce risks, and serve customers better.
Table 4. Cisco Small Business Service Plan
3 Year Small Business Pro Service
Cisco Limited Warranty for Cisco Small Business Series Products
This Cisco Small Business product comes with a 1-year limited hardware warranty with 10 business day hardware advance replacement and a 90-day limited software warranty. To download software updates, go to: http://www.cisco.com/go/smallbiz.