Build Multi-Terabit Appliance and Server Clusters
The dramatic growth of data traffic has led to increased deployment of network service appliances and servers in enterprises, data centers, and cloud environments. Network switch and router architecture has evolved to support multi-terabit capacity. However, appliance and server capacity remains limited to a few gigabits, far below switch capacity.
Cisco Intelligent Traffic Director bridges the performance gap between a multi-terabit switch and gigabit servers and appliances. It provides multi-terabit traffic distribution for Layer 3 and 4 services and applications using Cisco Nexus switches.
With Intelligent Traffic Director, customers can deploy servers and appliances from any vendor without network or topology changes. Create an appliance or server cluster. Deploy multiple devices for scalable distribution of network traffic. Do it all with just a few simple configuration steps on a Cisco Nexus switch.
- Hardware based multi-terabit scaling for Layer 3 and 4 services and applications load balancing and traffic redirection
- High performance, line-rate 1, 10, 40, and 100 Gigabit Ethernet (GE) traffic distribution connectivity
- Transparent connectivity for appliance and server clustering
- Optimized for fast and simple provisioning
- Supported on existing Cisco Nexus 5000, 6000, 7000, and 9000 switching platforms - no new hardware required
- End device agnostic - supports all servers and service appliances
Intelligent Traffic Director offers simplicity, flexibility, and scalability. This makes it easier for customers to deploy a traffic distribution solution in a wide variety of use cases without the use of any external hardware. Here are a few common deployment scenarios:
- Firewall cluster optimization
- Predictable redundancy and scaling of security services such as Intrusion Prevention System, Intrusion Detection System, Web Application Firewall and more.
- High scale DNS solutions for enterprise and service providers
- Scaling specialized web services such as SSL Accelerators, HTTP compression, and others
- Using the data plane of the network to distribute high bandwidth applications