• Provides cost-effective selectable or concurrent dual-radio Wireless-N connectivity for high capacity and additional users
• Gigabit Ethernet LAN interfaces with PoE enable flexible installation
• SmartSignal Antenna technology optimizes wireless coverage and reception
• Captive portal enables highly secure guest access with customized roles and rights
• Single Point Setup requires no controller, for easy cost-effective deployment of multiple access points
• Works right out of the box with easy installation and simple web-based configuration and wizard
In today's dynamic business environment, employees are becoming more mobile and collaborative than ever. To stay productive, they need dependable, business-class access to network applications throughout the office. The Cisco Small Business 500 Series Wireless Access Points provide a simple, cost-effective way to extend secure, high-performance mobile networking to your employees and guests, so they can stay connected anywhere in the office. This flexible solution lets you connect dozens of employees, and can scale to accommodate additional users and changing business needs.
The Cisco 500 Series access points use selectable or concurrent dual-band radios for improved coverage and user capacity. Gigabit Ethernet LAN interfaces with Power over Ethernet (PoE) support flexible installation and reduce cabling and wiring costs. Intelligent quality-of-service (QoS) features let you prioritize bandwidth-sensitive traffic for voice over IP (VoIP) and video applications. SmartSignal Antenna technology enables you to extend the reach of your wireless network by optimizing coverage, reception, and performance.
To provide secure guest access to visitors and other users, the Cisco 500 Series access points support a captive portal with multiple authentication options and the ability to configure rights, roles, and bandwidth. A customized guest login page lets you present a welcome message and access details, and reinforces your brand with company logos.
The Cisco 500 Series access points are easy to set up and use, with intuitive wizard-based configuration to get you up and running in minutes. An attractive design with flexible mounting options enables the access points to smoothly blend into any small business environment.
To enhance reliability and safeguard sensitive business information, the Cisco 500 Series access points support both Wi-Fi Protected Access (WPA) Personal and Enterprise, encoding all your wireless transmissions with powerful encryption. In addition, 802.1X RADIUS authentication helps keep unauthorized users out.
Designed to scale smoothly as your organization grows, the access points feature controllerless Single Point Setup that simplifies the deployment of multiple access points without additional hardware. With the Cisco 500 Series access points, you can extend business-class wireless networking to employees and guests anywhere in the office, with the flexibility to meet new business needs for years to come.
Figure 1 shows a typical Wireless Access Point configuration.
Figure 1. Typical Configuration
Figure 2. Front Panel of the Cisco WAP551/WAP561 Wireless-N Access Point with PoE
Figure 3. Back Panel of the Cisco WAP551/WAP561 Wireless-N Access Point with PoE
• Selectable or concurrent dual-band radios support up to 450 Mbps per radio to maximize capacity and coverage.
• Single Point Setup, a controllerless technology, simplifies the deployment and management of multiple access points - without requiring additional hardware.
• The Gigabit Ethernet LAN interface enables a high-speed uplink to the wired network.
• Robust security, including WPA2, 802.1X with RADIUS secure authentication, and rogue access point detection, helps protect sensitive business information.
• Captive portal support enables highly secure, customized guest access with multiple rights and roles.
• SmartSignal Antenna increases the wireless coverage area by automatically optimizing the antenna pattern.
• Simple installation and intuitive web-based configuration and wizard enable fast, simple deployment and setup in minutes.
• Support for PoE enables easy installation without expensive additional wiring.
• Sleek design with 5 internal antennas on the WAP551 and 10 antennas on the WAP561, with a versatile mounting kit that enables installation on a ceiling or wall.
• Intelligent QoS prioritizes network traffic to help keep critical network applications running at top performance.
• Power-saving sleep mode and port control features help maximize energy efficiency.
• Workgroup Bridge mode lets you expand your network by wirelessly connecting to a second Ethernet network.
• Support for IPv6 lets you deploy future networking applications and operating systems without costly upgrades.
• Limited lifetime hardware warranty provides peace of mind.
Table 1 lists the specifications, package contents, and minimum requirements for the Cisco 500 Series access points.
Table 1. Specifications for the Cisco 500 Small Business 500 Series Wireless Access Points
• 20-MHz bandwidth: MCS 0-15 for supported data rates
• 40-MHz bandwidth: MCS 0-15 for supported data rates
Frequency band and operating channels
802.11n 20 MHz (2.4 GHz band)
802.11n 40 MHz (2.4 GHz band)
802.11n 20 MHz (5 GHz band)
802.11n 40 MHz (5 GHz band)
• 20 MHz: 3
• 20 MHz: 3
• 20 MHz: 24
• 20 MHz: 24
• 40 MHz: 11
Wireless isolation between clients
5 internal dipole antennas for the WAP551 and 10 antennas for the WAP561
Antenna gain in dBi
5 dBi each antenna
• 1 Mbps: -91 dBm
• 11 Mbps: -85 dBm
• 6 Mbps: -86 dBm
• 54 Mbps: -69 dBm
• 802.11n/20 MHz
• MCS0: -86 dBm
• MCS7: -70 dBm
• MCS8: -85 dBm
• MCS15: -68 dBm
• 802.11n/40 MHz
• MCS0: -84 dBm
• MCS7: -66 dBm
• MCS8: -83 dBm
• MCS15: -65 dB
• 6 Mbps: -82 dBm
• 54 Mbps: -67 dBm
• 802.11n/20 MHz
• MCS0: -83 dBm
• MCS7: -68 dBm
• MCS8: -82 dBm
• MCS15: -66 dBm
• 802.11n/40 MHz
• MCS0: -82 dBm
• MCS7: -64 dBm
• MCS8: -81 dBm
• MCS15: -62 dBm
Wireless distribution system (WDS)
WAP561: 16 x 2
Wireless VLAN map
Wi-Fi Multimedia (WMM)
Yes, with unscheduled automatic power save
Access Point mode, WDS Bridging, Workgroup Bridge mode
IEEE 802.3af Ethernet switch
• WAP551: 7.872W
• WAP561: 1.712W
• UL 60950-1
• CAN/CSA-C22.2 No. 60950-1
• IEC 60950-1
• EN 60950-1
• FCC Part 15.247, 15.407
• RSS-210 (Canada)
• EN 300.328, EN 301.893 (Europe)
• AS/NZS 4268.2003 (Australia and New Zealand)
EMI and susceptibility (Class B):
• FCC Part 15.107 and 15.109
• ICES-003 (Canada)
• EN 301.489-1 and -17 (Europe)
0° to 40°C (32° to 104°F)
-20° to 70°C (-4° to 158°F)
10% to 85% noncondensing
5% to 90% noncondensing
64 MB RAM
32 MB flash
• Cisco WAP551 or WAP561 Wireless-N access point
• Ceiling/wall mounting kit
• User guide on CD-ROM
• Quick-start guide
• Ethernet network cable
• 802.11b, 802.11g, 802.11n wireless adapter with TCP/IP protocol installed per PC
• Switch/router with PoE support or PoE injector
• Web-based configuration: Java-enabled web browser
1 year warranty
Cisco WAP551 Wireless-N Single Radio Selectable-Band Access Point with Single Point Setup (U.S., Canada, Mexico, Australia/New Zealand)
Cisco WAP561 Wireless-N Dual Radio Selectable-Band Access Point with Single Point Setup (U.S., Canada, Mexico, Australia/New Zealand)
Cisco WAP551 Wireless-N Single Radio Selectable-Band Access Point with Single Point Setup (Europe, the Middle East, and Africa)
Cisco WAP561 Wireless-N Dual Radio Selectable-Band Access Point with Single Point Setup (Europe, the Middle East, and Africa)
Cisco Limited Lifetime Warranty for Cisco Small Business Products
This Cisco Small Business product comes with a limited lifetime hardware warranty. Product warranty terms and other information applicable to Cisco products are available at
Cisco Small Business Support Service
This optional service offers affordable, 3-year peace-of-mind coverage. This subscription-based, device-level service helps you protect your investment and derive maximum value from Cisco Small Business products. Delivered by Cisco and backed by your trusted partner, this comprehensive service includes software updates, extended access to the Cisco Small Business Support Center, and expedited hardware replacement, should it be required.