• Enables high-quality, feature-rich voice-over-IP service through your broadband Internet connection
• Two standard phone ports for use with analog telephones or fax machines, with independent phone numbers
• High-quality, clear-sounding voice service using advanced quality-of-service capability
• Compatible with common telephone features, such as caller ID, call waiting, call forwarding, and voicemail
Figure 1. Cisco SPA2012 Phone Adapter with Router
Inexpensive, easy to install, and simple to use, the Cisco
® SPA2102 Phone Adapter with Router (Figure 1) connects a standard telephone or fax machine to an IP-based data network. Voice over IP (VoIP) service providers can offer residential and business users traditional and enhanced communication services via the customer's broadband connection to the Internet.
The Cisco SPA2102 features two basic telephone ports to connect existing analog phones or fax machines to a private branch exchange (PBX) system. It also includes two 100BASE-T RJ-45 Ethernet interfaces to connect to a home or office LAN, as well as an Ethernet connection to connect a broadband modem or router (WAN). Each phone line can be configured independently via software controlled by the service provider or the end user. With the SPA2102, users are able to protect and extend their investment in their existing analog telephones, conference speakerphones, and fax machines, as well as control their migration to IP with an extremely affordable, reliable solution.
Installed by the end user and remotely provisioned, configured, and maintained by the service provider, each Cisco SPA2102 converts voice traffic into data packets for transmission over an IP network. Compact in design, the SPA2102 can be used in consumer and business VoIP service offerings, including full-featured IP Centrex environments. The SPA2102 uses international standards for voice and data networking for reliable operation.
• Toll-quality voice and carrier-grade feature support: The Cisco SPA2102 delivers clear, high-quality voice communication under a variety of network conditions. Excellent voice quality in challenging, changeable IP network environments is made possible via the advanced implementation of standard voice coding algorithms. The SPA2102 is interoperable with common telephony equipment such as fax, voicemail, PBX/KTS, and interactive voice response systems.
• Large-scale deployment and management: The Cisco SPA2102 enables service providers to provide customized services to their subscribers. It can be remotely provisioned and supports dynamic, in-service software upgrades. A highly secure profile upload saves providers the time and expense of managing and preconfiguring or reconfiguring customer premises equipment (CPE) for deployment.
• Ironclad security: The Cisco SPA2102 supports highly secure, encryption-based methods for communication, provisioning, and servicing.
Table 1 contains the specifications and package contents for the Cisco SPA2012 Phone Adapter with Router.
Table 1. Specifications for the Cisco SPA2012 Phone Adapter with Router
• Maximum ringer load: 3 ringer equivalence numbers (RENs)
• On-hook/off-hook characteristics:
• On-hook voltage (tip/ring): -50V nominal
• Off-hook current: 25 mA min
• Terminating impedance: 8 configurable settings including North America 600 ohms, European CTR21
• FCC (Part 15, Class B) , CE, ICES-003
• Switching type (100-240V) automatic
• DC input voltage: +5V DC at 2.0A maximum
• Power consumption: 5W
• Power adapter: 100-240V, 50-60 Hz (26-34VA) AC input, 1.8-m cord
Power, Internet, Phone 1, Phone 2
• Quick-start installation guide
• Administration guide-service providers only
• Provisioning guide-service providers only
• Cisco SPA2012 Phone Adapter with Router
• 5V power adapter
• RJ-45 Ethernet cable
• Quick installation guide
W x H x D
3.98 x 3.98. x 1.10 in.
(101 x 101 x 28 mm)
5.29 oz (0.15 kg)
1-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and 90-day limited software warranty
* Note: Many specifications are programmable within a defined range or list of options. Please see the Administration Guide for details. The configuration profile is uploaded to the Cisco SPA2102 at the time of provisioning.
Cisco Limited Warranty for Cisco Small Business Series Products
This Cisco Small Business product comes with a 1-year limited hardware warranty with return to factory replacement and a 90-day limited software warranty. In addition, Cisco offers software application updates for bug fixes and telephone technical support at no charge for the first 12 months following the date of purchase. To download software updates, go to: