For mobile operators, a new opportunity is emerging: give enterprises, major brands, advertisers, and others the ability to promote viewership of particular Mobile Internet sites and portals by paying for the data connectivity to those sites so that they are "toll-free" to mobile users.
For example, a financial service advisor may have created a sophisticated mobile web site with rich media account planning tools, multimedia webinars, flash pieces, and other features to service its clients and prospects. To encourage consumption of these tools and better serve its customers, the company could offer these services "toll-free," so that mobile users are not consuming bandwidth from their monthly usage quotas when accessing the services. The operator would bill back to the financial services company for any data usage.
In another example, a major automobile manufacturer creates a rich media site with high-resolution video, flash, and three-dimensional (3D) animations to showcase the launch of a new model. Users would consume a lot of data quota to view this rich media on their mobile devices, so the automotive manufacturer provides "toll-free" access to the site to encourage wider viewership of its marketing promotions.
What Is the Opportunity?
Operators provide businesses the capability to promote usage of their applications and rich media web portals by paying for connectivity, so that the mobile user does not.
What Are the Challenges?
Billing the sponsoring enterprise that offers the toll-free access while zero-rating the bandwidth consumed against the subscriber's usage quota.
How Will This Impact My Business?
• Generate and monetize additional traffic over flat rate plans.
• Increase third-party partnership opportunities for an entirely new revenue source. See Figure 1.
Figure 1. Toll-Free Mobile Broadband Example
What Do I Need?
• Cisco®ASR 5000: Purpose-built mobile multimedia core platform that delivers the performance and intelligence required by today's mobile networks.
• Cisco In-line Services: Intelligent functions that are integrated into the Cisco ASR 5000 and implemented in the bearer traffic flow, eliminating the need for external lower-reliability network elements while simplifying the network through integrated functions and services. Toll-free broadband services utilize several In-line Services functions, such as Enhanced Charging Service and Application Detection and Control to zero-rate the subscriber's data usage while billing the sponsoring entity of the web site or application.
• Cisco Mobility Unified Reporting: Solution providing comprehensive statistical analysis and trending information of all network attributes and subscriber sessions through tight integration with the deep packet inspection (DPI) capabilities of the Cisco ASR 5000. Helps operators optimize network performance, target new services, and plan infrastructure investments. The Mobility Unified Reporting System also helps operators partner with sponsoring enterprises to understand the usage and effectiveness of toll-free broadband offers.
• Cisco Policy and Charging Control (PCC): Standards-based, highly scalable solution for operators to efficiently optimize network resources across subscribers and services while providing significant revenue opportunities by enabling the deployment of new personalized services.
Cisco IP Next Generation Network (IP NGN) offers a comprehensive end-to-end IP solution encompassing Radio Access Network (RAN) backhaul, IP edge and aggregation, Evolved Packet Core (EPC), IP core, and data center, optimized for the mobile data tidal wave, while providing an intelligent common IP core across all access types. Cisco's access-independent, IP-based Mobile Internet solutions are key drivers of operator differentiation, new revenues, network optimization, and profitability.
Furthermore, Cisco Services has the experience, tools, and best practices to help operators reduce time to market in deploying mobile network solutions.
Get Started Today
To find out how Cisco can help you gain new revenues by offering new and differentiated personalized mobile broadband services, contact your Cisco representative or visit: www.cisco.com/go/mobile.