Cloud services provide users with a service or application stored centrally over a web interface or through a thin client. The service is provided on demand, and is highly scalable, always up to date, and very flexible. Operators can partner with or become cloud-based application providers to gain new revenues from the delivery of hosted software-as-a-service (SaaS). Collaboration with existing cloud application providers can take several forms, including private labeling, co-branding, and reselling. Operators can provide enhancements to subscribers in terms of quality of experience, ease of use and discovery, inclusion in value-based bundles, and other features enabled by intelligent mobile network infrastructures.
For operator-hosted SaaS, operators can greatly reduce the time to launch new cloud-based services by combining the virtualization of the data center with the capabilities of the next-generation IP network. This approach to cloud services encompasses a shared unified compute pool, a unified networking fabric, and an application- and media-aware network for secure delivery of services. This allows operators to collaborate with cloud-based application and content providers.
What Is the Opportunity?
Share revenue with cloud-based application and content providers by helping to ensure the quality of the user experience. Additionally, use next-generation unified service delivery architectures to gain revenues with your own differentiated hosted services.
What Are the Challenges?
• Implementing effective business models with cloud application providers that take advantage of the operator's quality-of-experience assurance capabilities
• Accelerating cycle time to provision and deploy operator-hosted cloud services
How Will This Impact My Business?
• Capture revenue from new business-to-business-to-consumer (B2B2C) partnerships with cloud application providers.
• Sell a range of cloud services, including hosted audio, video, and web conferencing; sales force automation; and other SaaS to enterprises. See Figure 1.
Figure 1. Mobile Cloud Services
What Do I Need?
• Cisco®ASR 5000 Multimedia Core Platform: Purpose-built mobile multimedia core platform that delivers the performance and intelligence required by today's mobile networks.
• Cisco In-Line Services: Intelligent functions that are integrated into the Cisco ASR 5000 and implemented in the bearer traffic flow, eliminating the need for external lower-reliability network elements while simplifying the network through integrated functions and services.
• Cisco Mobility Unified Reporting System: Solution providing comprehensive statistical analysis and trending information on all network attributes and subscriber sessions through tight integration with the deep packet inspection (DPI) capabilities of the Cisco ASR 5000. This solution helps operators optimize network performance, target new services, and plan infrastructure investments.
• Cisco Policy and Charging Control (PCC): Standards-based, highly scalable solution for operators to efficiently optimize network resources across subscribers and services while providing significant revenue opportunities by supporting the deployment of new personalized services
• Cisco Unified Service Delivery (USD): Lays the foundation for the evolution to cloud services by providing: network and data center consolidation, virtualization and unified fabric (Cisco Nexus® 7000 Series Switches), and the Cisco Unified Computing SystemTM. By virtualizing computing power, servers, and the network within the data center, the operator is able to drastically reduce the time to revenue of a cloud service.
Cisco IP Next Generation Network (IP NGN) offers a comprehensive end-to-end IP solution encompassing Radio Access Network (RAN) backhaul, IP edge and aggregation, Evolved Packet Core (EPC), IP core, and data center, optimized for the mobile data surge, while providing an intelligent common IP core across all access types. Cisco's access-independent, IP-based Mobile Internet solutions are key drivers of operator differentiation, new revenues, network optimization, and profitability.
In addition, Cisco Services has the experience, tools, and best practices to help operators reduce time to market in deploying mobile network solutions.
Get Started Today
To find out how Cisco can help you gain new revenues by offering new and differentiated personalized mobile broadband services, contact your Cisco representative or visit www.cisco.com/go/mobile.