What Is The Opportunity?
What Are The Challenges?
• Offering mobile data plans with bandwidth speed and fair usage combinations that are easily understood by users
• Allowing users to dynamically change speed tiers and usage quotas as their needs change
• Providing the flexibility of volume or time-based quota overuse management, including usage restriction or downgrading at the cumulative, application, or data flow level to maintain subscriber satisfaction and retention
How Will This Impact My Business?
• Increases average revenue per user (ARPU) through more granular market segmentation. A business case developed by Cisco projects that an operator with 1.5 million mobile data subscribers would grow to 2.2 million subscribers, increase revenue by US$22.9 million per month, and realize an ARPU increase of US$6.85 per month. See Figure 1.
• Attracts a wider range of subscribers by offering the best plans for their desired usage
• Provides up-sell opportunities to higher-priced tiers that have added benefits; for example, a "Gold" plan might offer more favorable service permissions once quotas are reached
Figure 1. Business Case for an Integrated Policy and Charging Control Solution in the Multimedia Core. Network Strategy Partners, January 2010
What Do I Need?
• Cisco® ASR 5000 Multimedia Core Platform: Purpose-built mobile multimedia core platform that delivers the performance and intelligence required by today's mobile networks.
• Cisco In-Line Services: Intelligent functions integrated into the Cisco ASR 5000 and implemented in the bearer traffic, eliminating the need for external lower-reliability network elements while simplifying the network through integrated services. Tiered Pricing uses several In-Line Services functions, such as Application Detection and Control, Enhanced Charging Service, and policy enforcement.
• Cisco Mobility Unified Reporting System: Solution providing comprehensive statistical analysis and trending of network attributes and subscriber sessions through tight integration with the deep packet inspection (DPI) capabilities of the Cisco ASR 5000. This solution helps operators optimize network performance, target new services, and plan infrastructure investments.
• Cisco Policy and Charging Control (PCC): Standards-based, highly scalable solution for operators to efficiently optimize network resources across subscribers and services while providing significant revenue opportunities by allowing the deployment of new personalized services.
Get Started Today