Cisco Catalyst 6500 Sets Throughput Records
Network World finds results "impressive" in an independent Clear Choice Test.
» Read Review
The Cisco Catalyst 6500 Virtual Switching System (VSS) 1440 takes the flagship Catalyst 6500 platform to the next level with network system virtualization.
Creating a VSS 1440
The key enabler of a VSS 1440 is the Virtual Switching Supervisor 720-10G. Any two Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Switches with this supervisor engine can be pooled together into a VSS 1440*. The two switches are connected with 10 GbE links called Virtual Switch Links (VSLs). Once a VSS 1440 is created it acts as a single virtual Catalyst switch delivering the following benefits:
- Two Catalyst 6500s share a single point of management, single gateway IP address, and single routing instance
- Eliminates the dependence on First Hop Redundancy Protocols (FHRP) and Spanning Tree Protocol
- Delivers deterministic, sub-200 millisecond layer 2 link recovery through inter-chassis stateful failovers and the predictable resilience of Etherchannel
Scales to 1.4 Tbps
- Scales system bandwidth capacity to 1.4 Tbps by activating all available bandwidth across redundant Catalyst 6500 switches
- Up to 132 ports of 10 GbE per system
* See Virtual Switching System 1440 on the Catalyst 6500 Series White Paper for complete requirements.
Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series VSSE 720 with 10GE uplinks
Better Manageability, Reliability, and Scalability (Flash)
Hong Kong Institute of Education deploys Cisco VSS