Cisco® Collaboration Solutions improve team and customer experiences to help organizations promote innovation and improve decision making while building trust and enhancing team performance.
The Cisco Jabber™ platform is a unified communications application for PCs, Macs, tablets, and smartphones. The application provides a simple way for you to find the right people, see if they are available, and collaborate using their preferred method or device.
Cisco Jabber for Android provides voice-over-IP (VoIP) capabilities. Whether you are in the office on a Wi-Fi network or roaming using a public Wi-Fi network or a mobile data network, the Cisco Jabber platform connects you securely to your corporate network so your Android device becomes your portable IP phone and company directory.
Turn your Android device into a full-featured Cisco Unified IP Phone. Cisco Jabber for Android lets you place, receive, and manage calls over your corporate Wi-Fi network. It also supports calls over any Wi-Fi hotspot using a VPN, allowing you to take further advantage of your corporate telephony infrastructure whenever you have access to a high-quality wireless network connection. You will benefit from the cost savings from not using your wireless minutes, the capability to use your work phone number when placing calls from your Android device, and the stronger in-building network coverage from a wireless network (Figure 1).
Cisco Jabber for Android is also one of the many Cisco Jabber clients providing unified communications on various platforms and devices. The Cisco Jabber solution is one of several Cisco solutions for Android devices, such as Cisco WebEx®Meetings.
Figure 1. Cisco Jabber for Android on Samsung Galaxy S II
Benefits of Cisco Jabber for Android
• Always on and always connected: Because Cisco Jabber for Android runs in the background and automatically registers to the corporate network when available, you can transparently place and receive calls on your work number without needing to select the Cisco Jabber application.
• Intuitive user experience: Cisco Jabber for Android ties into the native Android experience for making phone calls. Simply use the familiar Android phone application to place calls whether from the key pad, contacts, favorites, or call history screens.
• Lower mobility costs: Cisco Jabber for Android allows you to place and receive calls over your corporate telephony and wireless LAN (Wi-Fi) infrastructure, reducing use of mobile minutes and saving on roaming charges as well. With the Dial-Via-Office feature, users can further reduce costs depending on your mobile voice plan and telephony infrastructure setup. Because Cisco Jabber for Android uses your Cisco Unified Communications Manager call-routing capabilities, you can also avoid toll charges for international calls.
• Mobile privacy: The Cisco Jabber platform turns your Android device into an extension on Cisco Unified Communications Manager. You appear to receive and make calls from your desk phone when using the application on your Android device. Executives benefit from this feature, for example, because they often want to keep their mobile number private when placing calls.
• Enterprise telephony features: Cisco Jabber for Android offers enterprise-class telephony functions including transfer, conference, hold, and resume. You can hand off calls to your mobile provider's network as you leave Wi-Fi coverage. Also, you can move Android device calls to and from your Cisco Unified IP Phone to continue a conversation on a different phone.
• Visual access to business voicemail: Cisco Jabber for Android allows you to view new and saved voicemail messages, and play back messages in any order (Figure 2). You can also view voicemail transcriptions so you do not have to listen to your voice messages before taking action. Actions you take on your Android device, such as playing, marking as unheard, or deleting a message, are synchronized with your corporate voicemail mailbox. Visual Voicemail requires Cisco Unity® Connection and voicemail transcriptions require Cisco SpeechView.
Figure 2. Cisco Jabber for Android Visual Voice Messages
Table 1 lists the features and benefits of Cisco Jabber for Android.
Table 1. User Features and Benefits
Place and receive calls with your work phone number over your organization's Wi-Fi network
Using your Android device, you can place and receive calls through Cisco Unified Communications Manager without incoming mobile or roaming charges.
Place or receive calls with your work phone number over Wi-Fi or mobile data networks
When away from the office, you can place and receive calls using a Wi-Fi network (for example, a home network or Wi-Fi hotspot) or mobile data networks as long as you are connected to VPN. A Wi-Fi network that is designed for voice over Wi-Fi will provide the best user experience and voice quality.
You can take advantage of corporate calling features such as conference, transfer, hold, and resume.
You can easily add a call, swap between active calls, and conference.
Call preservation keeps your call connected when you receive a mobile (Global System for Mobile Communications [GSM] or Code Division Multiple Access [CDMA]) call while on an Internet call. You can retrieve the Internet call by returning to the Cisco Jabber for Android application and resume the call.
Integration with Cisco Mobile Connect (Single Number Reach)
Cisco Mobile Connect enables you to receive calls placed to your desk phone on your Android device (through GSM or CDMA) whenever Cisco Jabber for Android is not running or is not connected to Cisco Unified Communications Manager.
Handoff to mobile voice network
You can hand off your Internet call to your mobile operator's network as you leave buildings, so you have freedom to move about without interrupting your calls.
Handoff to and from desk phone
You can hand off your call from your Android device to your desk phone and continue your call using your desk phone. Similarly, you can hand off calls from the desk phone to your Android device, so you have freedom to move about.
Visual voice messages
You can get access to a visual representation of your office voicemail box; view new messages without having to dial into your corporate voicemail system; and select, play back, or delete messages in any order. With Cisco SpeechView integration, you can also view voicemail transcriptions.
Directory access with reporting structure view
You can search your corporate directory from an easy-to-use interface. You can quickly select a contact to call, view reporting structure within your organization, and add to your contacts list.
Dial-Via-Office enables you to make work calls over the mobile voice network using your company's telephony infrastructure.
Note: The secure connect feature of Cisco Jabber for Android has been removed in Version 9.0(1). If you require this feature, you can continue to use Cisco Jabber for Android Version 8.6, which you can download on Cisco.com. Cisco will provide limited support for Cisco Jabber for Android Version 8.6 until March 31, 2013. After that date, Cisco Jabber for Android Version 8.6 will not be available for download or support.
Table 2 gives information about platform support and compatibility.
Table 2. Platform Support and Compatibility for Cisco Jabber for Android
Cisco Unified Communications Manager
7.1.5, 8.0.3, 8.5, 8.6, and 9.0 (refer to release notes for exact versions)
Cisco Unity Connection
Message Waiting Indicator: 7.1, 8.0, 8.5, 8.6, and 9.0
Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliances
Cisco Jabber for Android supports multiple audio codecs (G.711a, G.711mu, and G.729) to provide you with the best audio experience possible.
Cisco Jabber for Android is officially supported on the following devices:
• Samsung Galaxy Note II with Android OS 4.1.2
• Samsung Galaxy Nexus with Android OS 4.1.1
• Samsung Galaxy S III with Android OS 4.1.1
• Samsung Galaxy S II with Android OS 4.0.4
• Samsung Galaxy S II SC-02C (NTT Docomo) with Android OS 2.3.3
• Motorola MC40 with Android OS 2.3.4
Note: Although not officially supported, the Cisco Jabber application runs on many Android devices with various degrees of limitations depending on the device. Consult the Cisco Support Forums at http://supportforums.cisco.com if you encounter problems with unsupported devices.
You can download Cisco Jabber for Android from Google Play. To use the software, a device license is required (Table 3) as well as Cisco Unified Communications Manager licensing.
To enable Cisco AnyConnect Secure Mobility Client for VPN access on Cisco Jabber for Android, you will need a Cisco ASA 5500 Series Adaptive Security Appliance and the corresponding Cisco AnyConnect Essentials and Cisco AnyConnect Mobile licenses. To learn more visit the Cisco ASA website.
Cisco Services make networks, applications, and the people who use them work better together.
Today, the network is a strategic platform in a world that demands better integration among people, information, and ideas. The network works better when services, together with products, create solutions aligned with business needs and opportunities.
The unique Cisco Lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the network lifecycle to help ensure service excellence. With a collaborative delivery methodology that joins the strength of Cisco, our skilled network of partners, and our customers, we achieve the best results.