Cisco Jabber™ is a unified communications application that enables you to be more productive from anywhere on any device. Find the right people, see if and how they are available, and collaborate using your preferred method.
Today's global, distributed work environment has resulted in significant challenges for workers, making it harder to connect with the right people and significantly increasing the quantity and modes of communications. Organizations of all sizes are striving to improve communications in order to retain customers, compete for new business, control costs, and grow their business globally.
Cisco Jabber for Windows streamlines communications and enhances productivity by unifying presence, instant messaging, video, voice, voice messaging, desktop sharing, and conferencing capabilities securely into one client on your desktop. Cisco Jabber for Windows delivers highly secure, clear, and reliable communications. It offers flexible deployment models, is built on open standards, and integrates with commonly used desktop applications. You can communicate and collaborate effectively from anywhere you have an Internet connection (Figure 1).
Features and Benefits
Figure 1. Cisco Jabber for Windows
• Reduce communication delays with presence and contact information: The Cisco Jabber application enables you to see the availability of co-workers and colleagues within and outside your organization. You can immediately see who is offline, available, busy, on the phone, in a meeting, presenting, or in a do-not-disturb state. You can create customized availability states such as "Gone to lunch. Back at 1 p.m." to provide added context. These capabilities help reduce communication delays and result in faster decision making and enhanced productivity.
• Quickly communicate with borderless enterprise-class instant messaging: Instant messaging is an important communication option that lets you efficiently interact in today's multitasking business environment. The Cisco Jabber application delivers enterprise-class instant messaging capabilities that are based on the Extensible Messaging and Presence Protocol (XMPP). The solution provides personal and group chat so you can quickly connect with your business colleagues. Chat history and server-based logging capabilities allow you to view the content of prior chats and to store messages for convenience, compliance, and regulatory purposes. Instant messaging is integrated with other communication capabilities so you can simply move between chats, audio conversations, and web conferences. You can even share presence and send instant messages to people outside your organization who may not be using Cisco Jabber. The enterprise-class instant messaging capabilities of this application provide more efficient, highly secure, flexible, and borderless collaboration.
• Bring business-class IP telephony and video to the desktop: Cisco Jabber delivers business-quality voice and video to your desktop. Powered by the market-leading Cisco® Unified Communications Manager call-control solution, Cisco Jabber is a soft phone with wideband and high-fidelity audio, standards-based high-definition video (720p), and desk phone control features. These features mean that high-quality and high-availability voice and video telephony is available at all locations and to your desk phones, soft clients, and mobile devices. Cisco Jabber for Windows makes voice communications simple, clear, and reliable (Figure 2).
Figure 2. High-Definition Video with Integrated Audio Controls
• Accelerate team performance with multiparty conferencing and collaboration: The Cisco Jabber application provides for smooth escalation to desktop sharing or Cisco's market-leading collaboration solution, Cisco WebEx® conferencing. You can instantly share documents and expand chats and conversations to multiparty voice, video, and web conferencing.
• Collaborate from common business applications: You can access the capabilities of the Cisco Jabber application from common desktop applications such as Microsoft Outlook, including lighting up presence and click-to-communicate (instant message and audio and video calling) capabilities. For Microsoft Outlook 2010, you can use the Microsoft contact card click-to-communicate icons directly from within the application to save time and streamline workflows because you can view user availability and initiate communications such as personal and group voice, video, and chat sessions without having to switch between applications.
Table 1 outlines Cisco Jabber features and benefits.
Table 1. Features and Benefits
Use a single, intuitive interface for instant messaging with individuals and groups, IP telephony, visual voicemail, voice and web conferencing, desktop sharing1, communication history, and integrated directories.
View real-time availability of co-workers and colleagues within and outside the enterprise network.
• Exchange and display presence availability information and instant messages with other Cisco Jabber users, Cisco Unified Personal Communicator, Cisco WebEx Connect®, Microsoft Office Communicator and Lync, IBM Lotus Sametime, AOL, GoogleTalk, and many other XMPP-compatible clients.
• Exchange presence information with mobile handsets using Cisco Jabber or third-party XMPP-compatible clients.
• Display customized availability messages.
• Your status is updated automatically when you are in a Cisco WebEx meeting or sharing an application.
• Show your availability based on the free and busy status in your Microsoft Outlook Calendar or Exchange Server2.
• Use the do-not disturb (DND) availability state to let others know you are unavailable. The DND status is automatically synchronized between Cisco Jabber and your Cisco Unified IP Phone to help ensure privacy for both instant messaging and phone communications.
Enterprise instant messaging
Chat in real time using instant messaging to save time and reduce phone tag. Several chat modes are supported, ranging from:
• Point-to-point chat with co-workers inside your network, or supported federated business and personal contacts
• Group chat, which enables multiple colleagues to communicate and collaborate in a single discussion
• Personal instant messaging history for your reference
Look up contacts quickly. Predictive search provides suggestions to you as you type in a search query and is capable of indexing your Jabber® contact list, recent contacts, Microsoft Active Directory2, Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), Enterprise Data Integration (EDI), or Cisco User Data Services (UDS).
Choose the right communication tool for your situation. Escalate from a chat to an audio call, video call, desktop share, or web meeting. Media escalations are as easy as clicking a button.
Communicate ideas quickly by instantly sharing what is on your desktop. With the Jabber application you can share your desktop with other Jabber users as well as Cisco and other standards-based video endpoints3.
Integrated voice and video telephony
Exchange ideas face-to-face with coordinated video display on the PC screen and voice conversation with a soft phone.
• Make, receive, and control your phone calls whether you are in or out of the office. Click-to-call directly from your contact list or Outlook without the need to look up phone numbers.
• Business-quality video communication up to high-definition (720p) and high-fidelity wideband audio is supported.
• Standards-based video means you are not restricted to collaboration with just other Jabber clients. You can use voice, video, and even desktop share when interacting with telepresence endpoints and room-based and multipoint videoconferencing systems.
• A variety of call-control options are available, including mute, call transfer, call forwarding, and ad-hoc conferencing.
• The enterprise-class IP telephony reliability and failover features of Cisco Unified Communications Manager are supported.
Initiate multiparty voice and web meetings.
• Group chat and audio conference sessions are as simple as clicking a button, eliminating the need to use other applications and interfaces to schedule, invite, or join conferences.
• Initiate a web meeting session directly from the Cisco Jabber client, using Cisco WebEx conferencing to share content, such as a presentation, document, or your desktop1.
Access a history of your instant messaging conversations.
Visual voice message access
Access and manage your voice messages:
• View, play back, and delete voice messages from Cisco Unity® Connection.
• Secure messaging is provided, with support for private and encrypted voice messages.
Microsoft Outlook integration
See user availability and click to initiate chat sessions or voice and video calls, or launch web collaboration sessions directly from Microsoft Outlook, including:
• Microsoft Outlook 2007
• Microsoft Outlook 2010
Encrypt instant messaging communications using up to 256-bit Advanced Encryption Standard (AES) encryption and Transport Layer Security/Secure Sockets Layer (TLS/SSL) connections.
Single Sign-On (SSO)1
SSO allows companies to use their SSO system to simplify the management of the Cisco Jabber application. With SSO, you more securely log in to Jabber IM and presence using your corporate login credentials.
Enterprise policy management
Set granular policies to determine which features and capabilities can or cannot be accessed by your Cisco Jabber end users.
Flexible deployment models
Cisco Jabber for Windows can be deployed on-premises or on-demand, offering IT departments the flexibility to choose the model that best suits their business. When the application is deployed on-demand, IT administrators can push client upgrades automatically to users.
Cisco Jabber for Windows can be deployed in virtual environments using Citrix XenDesktop and Citrix XenApp:
• Citrix XenDesktop 5.0 or 5.5
• Citrix XenApp 5.0, 6.0, and 6.5 Enterprise Edition for Windows 2008 R2 64-bit, published desktop
In a virtual environment Cisco Jabber for Windows supports presence, instant messaging, and desk phone control.
Languages supported include: English, French, Japanese, Spanish, German, Italian, Portuguese (Brazilian), Portuguese (Portugal), Dutch, Swedish, Russian, Danish, Chinese (China), Chinese (Taiwan), Korean, Arabic, Polish, Turkish, Czech, Hebrew, Greek, Norwegian, Finnish, Catalan, and Thai.
1 Feature available in on-demand deployment only
2 Feature available in on-premises deployment only
3 Requires Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.6 and later
Table 2 outlines system requirements for the Cisco Jabber application.
Table 2. System Requirements
• Microsoft Windows XP Service Pack 3, 32-bit
• Microsoft Windows 7, 32-bit (Pro, Ent, and Ult)
• Microsoft Windows 7, 64-bit (Pro, Ent, and Ult)
Minimum CPU speed and type
• Mobile AMD Sempron Processor 3600+ at 2 GHz
• Intel Core 2 CPU T7400 at 2.16 GHz
• 1.87-GB RAM (XP SP3)
• 2-GB RAM (Windows 7)
Free physical memory
• 128 MB
• 256 MB
• DirectX 9 (XP SP3)
• DirectX11 (Windows 7)
• When using USB cameras and audio devices, USB 2.0 is required.
Table 3 outlines system requirements for Cisco Unified Communications.
Table 3. Cisco Unified Communications System Requirements
Cisco Unified Communications Manager (Standard and Business Editions)
• 7.1(4) or later
• 8.6(2) for BFCP + COP File or UDS
Cisco Unified Presence
• 8.0(3) or later
Cisco WebEx Connect service
• 7.5 or later
Contact Search Services
• WebEx Connect Contact Service
• Microsoft Active Directory 2008
• Microsoft Active Directory 2003
• OpenLDAP 2.4
UC Manager Sources
• Cisco UDS Contact Service
Cisco Unified IP Phones (computer telephony integration (CTI)-enabled)
• Cisco Cius
• Cisco Unified IP Phones 9900 Series
• Cisco Unified IP Phones 8900 Series
• Cisco Unified IP Phones 7900 Series
• Cisco Unified IP Phones 6900 Series
• Cisco TelePresence MCU 4500 Series
• Cisco TelePresence Server 7010
• Cisco TelePresence Server 8000
• Cisco Unified Videoconferencing 7.0 5115
• Cisco WebEx Meeting Center T26L SP 20
• Cisco WebEx Meeting Center T27L SP 9
• XML Application Programming Interface (API) 5.8
• Cisco Unity Connection 8.0 or later
Cisco Unified Survivable Remote Site Telephony (SRST)
• 8.6 with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.6
• 8.5 with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.5
• 8.0 with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 8.0
• 7.1 with Cisco Unified Communications Manager 7.1
Cisco Jabber for Windows is a single client that can connect to either the Cisco Collaboration Cloud or the Cisco Unified Presence Server for IM and Presence. The ordering mechanism will vary based on the deployment model selected.
To order Cisco Jabber for Windows hosted in the Cisco Collaboration Cloud, please review the WebEx Global Price List.
To order Cisco Jabber for Windows deployed on the Cisco Unified Presence Server, please visit the Cisco Ordering Home Page. For complete ordering information, refer to Table 4.
Cisco Jabber for Windows is a part of Cisco Unified Workspace Licensing. Please visit http://www.cisco.com/go/workspace_licensing for more information and to determine whether Cisco Unified Workspace licensing is appropriate for your organization.
Table 4. Cisco Jabber for Windows Ordering Information
L-WBX-IM1-NH-minimum 25 seats
L-WBX-CON-IM-minimum 250 seats
IM and Unified Communications
L-WBX-IM1-NH OR L-WBX-CON-IM
IM and Unified Communications
* Please refer to Cisco Unified Presence Server ordering information at Cisco Ordering Home Page to get more details about the IM-only bundle option.
• With each order of Cisco Jabber for Windows (deployed on the Cisco Unified Presence Server), you will receive a product authorization key (PAK) and a document confirming your purchase and notifying you of the location for downloading the software.
• All Cisco Unified IP Phones, including Cisco Jabber for Windows, require the purchase of a phone technology license.
• Cisco Jabber for Windows (deployed on the Cisco Unified Presence Server) is available as part of the Cisco eDelivery application. With Cisco eDelivery, partners can assist customers in managing and downloading their software license entitlement documentation, including Right To Use, End User License Agreement, and License Claim Form, through the email channel rather than relying on paper delivery.
Cisco Unified Communications Services
Cisco and our certified partners can help you deploy a highly secure, resilient Cisco Unified Communications Solution so you can meet aggressive deployment schedules and accelerate your business advantage. The Cisco portfolio of services is based on proven methodologies for unifying voice, video, data, and mobile applications on fixed and mobile networks.
The unique Cisco lifecycle approach to services defines the requisite activities at each phase of the solution lifecycle. Customized planning and design services focus on creating a solution that meets your business needs. Award-winning technical support increases operational efficiency. Remote management services simplify day-to-day operations, and optimization services enhance solution performance as your business needs change.