Cisco Systems® is introducing a new 4-slot chassis for the Cisco® Catalyst® 6500 Series Switch.
The new 4-slot chassis offers 320 Gbps of aggregate switching capacity and delivers up to 80-Gbps per-slot capacity when used with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series Supervisor Engine 720. Continuing with the Catalyst 6500 Series tradition of unmatched investment protection, all existing line cards along with Catalyst 6500 Series supervisor engines 720 and 32 will be supported.
Introduction of the 4-slot chassis for the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series.
• Cisco Catalyst 6504-E Chassis
• Cisco Catalyst 6504-E Fan Tray
• New power supply-2700 watt (W) AC and DC
• The new chassis is similar to the existing Cisco 6503-E chassis but with an extra slot. It supports all existing line cards with the Cisco Catalyst 6500 Series supervisor engines 720 and 32.
• The minimum power supply required is 2700W or higher (AC or DC).
Table 1 gives the specifications of the new chassis.
Table 1. Chassis Specifications
Cisco Catalyst 6503-E Chassis
Cisco Catalyst 6504-E Chassis
Dimensions (H x W x D)
7.0 x 17.5 x 21.7 in. (17.9 x 44.5 x 55.1 cm)
8.75 x 17.5 x 21.7 in. (22.2 x 44.5 x 55.2 cm)
Weight (Fully Loaded)
80 lb (36.4 kg)
98 lb (45 kg)
Fan Trays (Part Numbers)
Table 2 lists product numbers for the new chassis and its components.
Table 2. Ordering Information
Fan tray for Cisco Catalyst 6504-E chassis
2700W AC power supply for 6504-E
2700W DC power supply for 6504-E
Cisco 6504-E chassis with fan tray and Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32-8GE
Cisco 6504-E chassis with fan tray and Catalyst 6500 Supervisor Engine 32-10GE
FCS SCHEDULES AND LEAD TIMES
• Orderability: May 26, 2005
• Lead time: Three weeks
• First customer shipment: First week of June 2005
MINIMUM SOFTWARE REQUIREMENTS
Table 3 lists the minimum software requirements for the new chassis.
Table 3. Minimum Software Requirements
• Cisco IOS® Software Release 12.2.18SXE and later
• Cisco Catalyst OS Software Release 8.4.2 and later