The Cisco® CRS-1 Carrier Routing System is the first carrier router offering continuous system operation, unprecedented service flexibility, and system longevity. The Cisco CRS-1 is powered by Cisco IOS® XR Software - a unique self-healing, distributed operating system designed for always-on operation while scaling system capacity up to 92 Tbps. The innovative system architecture combines the Cisco Silicon Packet Processor, the first programmable 40-Gbps application-specific integrated circuit (ASIC), with the Cisco Service Separation Architecture for unprecedented service flexibility and speed to service. The Cisco CRS-1 marks a new era in carrier IP communications by powering the foundation for network and service convergence today while protecting investments for decades to come.
This data sheet provides detailed product specifications for an important element of the Cisco IP-over-DWDM solution, the Cisco CRS-1 1-Port OC-768c/STM-256c Tunable WDMPOS (Wavelength Division Multiplexing Packet over SONET/SDH) Interface Module (Figure 1). The module helps service providers to increase efficiencies, improve reliability, and reduce operational and capital costs by eliminating expensive and bulky optical transponder equipment, even as video-based applications rapidly increase traffic in their DWDM networks. The module connects directly into any DWDM network and provides up to 40 Gbps of data throughput across existing 10-Gbps DWDM systems. The module is completely tunable across the C band across every other wavelength on the ITU 50-GHz grid. It includes an integrated tunable dispersion compensator (TDC) while offering a robust tuning range. It supports high-gain Enhanced Forward Error Correction (EFEC), extending reach up to 2000 kilometers (km) without requiring signal regeneration. For more information about the Cisco CRS-1 or about other interfaces available for the Cisco CRS-1, visit: http://www.cisco.com/go/crs.
Table 1 gives specifications of the Cisco CRS-1 1-Port OC-768c/STM-256c DPSK+ Tunable WDMPOS Interface Module.
Table 1. Product Specifications
Compatible with all current Cisco CRS-1 and CRS-3 line-card chassis
Cisco IOS XR Software Release 3.6 or later for CRS-1
Cisco IOS XR Software Release 4.0.0 or later for CRS-3
• Packet over SONET/SDH (POS)
• RFC 1619/2615, Point-to-Point Protocol (PPP) over SONET/SDH
• RFC 1662, PPP in High-Level Data Link Control (HDLC)-like framing
• RFC 2615, PPP over SONET/SDH
One 1-port OC-768c/STM-256c DPSK+ Tunable WDMPOS interface per physical layer interface module (PLIM)
POS Feature Summary
• Supports a maximum transmission unit (MTU) of up to 9188 bytes
• Layer 2 encapsulations: HDLC and PPP; no subinterface support
• Alarm reporting: Loss of signal (LOS), loss of frame (LOF), line alarm indicator signal (LAIS), line remote defect indicator (LRDI), path alarm indicator signal (PAIS), loss of pointer (LOP), path remote defect indicator (PRDI), signal failure (SF), signal degrade (SD)
• Signal failure (SF) and signal degrade (SD) alarms are based on monitoring B2 errors with a user-configurable threshold crossing.
• Error counts: B1, B2, B3, Line FEBE (REI-L) and Path FEBE (REI-P)
• Threshold crossing alerts (TCAs) for B1, B2, and B3 with user-configurable threshold
• Local (internal) or loop-timed (recovered from network)
• Local Stratum 3 clock accuracy over full operating temperature
• Pointer activity monitoring: Counters for NEWPTR (arbitrary change in pointer value), PSE (positive stuff event), and NSE (negative stuff event)
• Local (diagnostic) and line (network) loopback
• 1 + x43 self-synchronous scrambler
Optical Transport Network (G.709) Feature Summary
• ITU G.709
• Alarm reporting: Loss of Signal (LOF), Loss of OTN Frame (LOF), Loss of OTN Multiframe (LOM),
• OTU alarm indication signal (OTU-AIS), OTU backward defect indication (OTU-BDI), ODU alarm indication signal (ODU-AIS), ODU open connection indication (ODU-OCI), ODU locked (ODU-LCK), ODU backwards defect indication (ODU-BDI), ODU payload type identifier mismatch (ODU-PTIM), OTU signal fail (OTU_SF_BER) and OTU signal degrade (OTU_SD_BER)
• OTU_SF_BER and OTU_SD_BER alarms are based on monitoring OTU BIP errors with a user-configurable threshold crossing
• Error counts: OTU BIP, OTU BEI, ODU BIP, and ODU BEI
• Threshold crossing alerts (TCAs) for OTU BIP errors (SM-TCA) and ODU BIP errors (PM-TCA) with user-configurable threshold
• Local (internal) and line (network) loopback
Forward Error Correction Feature Summary
• FEC Type: G.975.1 I.4
• High gain enhanced FEC code
• FEC statistics for pre-FEC BER, Q, Q Margin, corrected errors (EC) and uncorrected words (UC)
Optical Feature Summary
• Line rate 42.8 Gbps +/-4.6 ppm
• Duplex LC faceplate optical connector
• Integrated tunable dispersion compensator (TDC) offering a robust tuning range of +/-700ps/nm
• Full C-band tunable laser
• Configurable Tx optical power (-19 dBm to +1 dBm)
• Tx and Rx optical power monitoring
• Optical power monitoring accuracy +/-1 dB
Reliability and Availability
• Online insertion and removal (OIR) without affecting system traffic
Cisco delivers innovative services programs through a unique combination of people, processes, tools, and partners, resulting in high levels of customer satisfaction. Cisco services help you protect your network investment, optimize network operations, and prepare your network for new applications to extend network intelligence and the power of your business. For more information about Cisco services, contact your local Cisco representative or visit http://www.cisco.com.
For More Information
For more information about the Cisco CRS-1 1-Port OC-768c/STM-256c DPSK+ Tunable WDMPOS Interface Module, contact your local Cisco representative or visit: http://www.cisco.com/go/crs.