Enhance Network Flexibility
Deploy Extensible, Converged Fabric
Cisco Adapter FEX is a technology that provides infrastructure consolidation and architecture flexibility, while helping to ensure network separation and operational simplicity.
Based on the emerging standard IEEE 802.1BR, Adapter FEX extends the fabric to the servers, and partitions the server adapter into multiple, logical virtual Network Interface Cards (vNICs) and virtual Host Bus Adapters (vHBAs). It then consolidates multiple 1 Gigabit Ethernet NICs and Fibre Channel HBAs into a single 10 Gigabit Ethernet FCoE adapter.
With Adapter FEX, you benefit from reduced capital and operating expenses, highly secure hardware-based traffic separation, and in-depth traffic visibility. In addition, your data center server environments can cost-effectively scale with your business needs.
- Improves infrastructure efficiency through consolidation
- Requires fewer adapters, cables, network ports, and network devices
- Simplifies network and management
- Lowers capital and operating expenses
- Maintains network separation and operational simplicity
- Each virtual interface can be fully managed like a physical interface
- Uses simplicity of the port-profile model
- Applies specific quality of service (QoS) and security configuration
- Allows for detailed monitoring and statistic collection
- Supports a cloud model
- Allows reuse of existing equipment for subsequent, different deployments
- Reconfiguration does not require physical intervention
- All components can be reconfigured through a command line or GUI
Adapter FEX supports Fibre Channel over Ethernet (FCoE) to further enhance network consolidation benefits to each logical adapter port.