Cisco IOS-Based Router for Integration Partners
The Cisco 5921 Embedded Services Router (ESR) is designed to operate on small, low-power, Linux-based platforms. It helps integration partners extend the use of Cisco IOS into extremely mobile and portable communications systems. It also provides highly secure data, voice, and video communications to stationary and mobile network nodes across wired and wireless links.
Feature and Capabilities
The Cisco 5921 ESR meets the critical need for on-demand network connectivity for industrial, commercial, military, homeland-security, and emergency-response applications. It offers:
- High performance
- Security to protect the network and data transmitted over the network
- Remote voice services with Cisco Unified Communications Manager Express (CME)
- Streaming multicast video support
It also integrates sophisticated networking capabilities, such as quality of service (QoS), to help ensure the most important data gets through when links are degraded.
Integrators can tailor Cisco 5921 ESR-based solutions to provide remote and mobile connectivity for a wide range of users. This more securely extends enterprise network resources to heavy industrial, public safety, transportation, and defense markets.
The Cisco 5921 Embedded Service Router can be deployed in mission-critical mobile communications to take advantage of Cisco Mobile Ready Net capabilities that provide:
- Transparent access of mission-critical voice, video, or data information
- Infrastructure-less networking, reaching beyond the range of a fixed network
- Radio-aware routing, immediately recognizing and reacting to changes in neighbor status
- Self-forming networks, offering immediate connection with no required preconfiguration of peers, and eliminating the need for connectivity to the centralized network
The Cisco 5921 ESR complements the Cisco 5915 and 5940 Embedded Services (hardware) Routers. It provides integrators with a cost effective solution for addressing smaller, extremely integrated applications. The Cisco 5921 ESR can be combined with system-specific applications onto a single hardware platform to provide extremely small, low-power solutions.
By not restricting the product developer to a specified form factor, the Cisco 5921 ESR gives integrators the creative flexibility to design hardware to meet unique market requirements. The Cisco 5921 ESR targets low power systems, making it ideal for use in portable, battery-powered devices.
Specifications at a Glance
|Processor||x86, such as Intel Atom and Intel Core i3/i5/i7|
|Memory||512 MB minimum|
|Disk Space||300 MB minimum|
|Operating system||Glibc-compiled Linux|