Patients ask care staff many questions during their stay. Some of these questions are common to all patients. Care staff is less efficient if they spend their time answering the same questions over and over again. Patient View can help reduce the number of questions that care staff are asked by displaying a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs) about the hospital and its services.
FAQs can cover generic questions about the hospital as well as about its units/departments. The following are examples of generic questions about the hospital:
- “When are visiting hours?”
- “When is the gift shop open?”
- “What time is breakfast served?”
- “How do I order meals?”
- “How do I contact a chaplain?”
Units may also want you to add their own list of questions specifically for patients staying in their unit. The Dialysis unit, for example, may want to add questions similar to the following:
- Can my spouse or friend attend my treatment?
- What should I wear to my treatment?
- Can I drive myself home after treatment?
- Can I eat and drink anything I want after treatment?
- How often are Hemodialysis treatments?
- If I catch a cold or the flu, do I continue treatments or wait until I am feeling better?
FAQs can be further targeted to a specific gender or age group within the hospital or unit. For example, a question about sexual activity after dialysis should be restricted to “Above 13”. Similarly, a question about breast-feeding during dialysis could be restricted to “Female” and “Above 13”.
Consult with each unit/department when creating the FAQs in order to capture the types of questions asked, their answers, and the appropriate audience for each question.
Features of the Patient FAQs Page in Admin View
You will create patient FAQs in Admin View. The Patient FAQs page has the following features:
- Unit configuration: FAQs can be created solely for units/departments and mapped to a department ID. Department IDs are imported from EMR through the.csv file or entered manually appear in the drop-down menu located on the upper right corner of the Patient FAQs page.
- Bulk import: The Patient FAQs page has bulk import functionality. The format of the file that you need is provided in the Actions menu. Refer the Appendix to know the format and details of the.csv file.
Create a New Patient FAQ
Follow the steps below to add a patient FAQ to Admin View:
Step 1 Choose Patient FAQs from the Patient TV menu.
Step 2 If the question is specific to a unit/department, choose the department ID from the drop down list in the upper right corner of the Patient FAQs pane. If you do not choose a unit/department, the question will be shown to all patients in the hospital if age or gender is not specified.
Step 3 From the Actions menu, choose Create FAQ.
Step 4 Enter a question.
Step 5 Enter its answer.
Step 6 Choose a gender or age group if it is desirable to restrict the FAQ to a particular audience such as adults or women.
Step 7 Save the FAQ.
The question and answer will appear on the FAQ page of Patient View.
Bulk Import FAQs
The bulk import option is available when you want to add many FAQs or when you want to edit multiple existing FAQs.
Step 1 Choose Download FAQs from the Actions menu.
Step 2 Open the downloaded CSV file.
Step 3 Add the questions and answers to the file - one per row.
Step 4 Save the file as a CSV file to your desktop.
Note Refer the File Format for FAQs section to know the CSV file format details.
Step 5 Choose Import FAQs from the Actions menu.
The Bulk Import dialog box opens.
Step 6 Click the Choose File button, select the file, and click the Open button.
Step 7 Click the Done button on the Bulk Import dialog box to complete importing FAQs.
Edit or Delete FAQs
If you want to modify a FAQ, click the Edit button at the bottom of the entry.
To delete a FAQ, choose the FAQ and then click the Delete button at the bottom of the screen.