This chapter contains the following sections:
Cisco IWAN Application on APIC-EM
As described in the Overview , the Cisco IWAN application (IWAN app) operates through Cisco APIC-EM, as a tool within the APIC-EM browser-based interface.
Separation from APIC-EM Release Schedule
Cisco IWAN app release 1.3.2 introduces a new approach to IWAN app releases. Beginning with this release:
- The IWAN app has been decoupled from the APIC-EM release schedule, and from the APIC-EM installation and upgrade processes.
- IWAN app release numbering is now independent of APIC-EM release numbering.
- Download the IWAN app separately from APIC-EM, then install or upgrade the app using the APIC-EM “App Management” page. See Installing or Upgrading the Cisco IWAN Application.
Integral Part of APIC-EM
While the release schedule and installation are now handled separately from APIC-EM, the IWAN app continues to be an integral part of APIC-EM and continues to appear in the APIC-EM GUI as before.
System requirements for the APIC-EM continue to apply to the IWAN app.
The release notes describe the software compatible with IWAN app releases, including APIC-EM and Cisco Prime Infrastructure versions.
Deploying Cisco APIC-EM
Access the Cisco IWAN application from the Cisco APIC-EM graphical user interface (GUI). To use the IWAN app, you must first deploy Cisco APIC-EM.
You can deploy Cisco APIC-EM either on a server (bare-metal hardware) or in a virtual machine in a VMware vSphere environment. You can deploy Cisco APIC-EM either as a single host or in a multi-host environment.
Deploy Cisco APIC-EM according to the instructions in the APIC-EM deployment guide, available on the APIC-EM Install and Upgrade Guides page.
Installing or Upgrading the Cisco IWAN Application
Before Installing or Upgrading the IWAN Application
Do the following before installing the IWAN app:
- (If APIC-EM is not already installed) Install Cisco APIC-EM it according to the instructions in the APIC-EM deployment guide, available on the APIC-EM Install and Upgrade Guides page. If necessary, install any necessary patches to upgrade APIC-EM to the desired release.
Some versions of the APIC-EM installation package may include an earlier version of the IWAN app.
- Verify that your Cisco APIC-EM release (release 1.3.2 or higher is required) and the software versions of other elements in the network are compatible with the IWAN app version you are installing. See the release notes for details.
- Note : When upgrading from an earlier release of the IWAN app, the log of operations done by the earlier release will not be preserved after the upgrade.
- Create a backup of the current APIC-EM configuration. See APIC-EM documentation for details about backup and restore. The basic steps are:
1. In APIC-EM, select: Settings (gear button) > App Management.
2. Select the Backup & Restore tab.
3. Click the Create New Backup button.
Step 1 Using the Cisco Download Software tool, navigate to Policy and Automation Controllers, and select APIC-EM, or use this direct link:
Step 2 Locate the IWAN Application Software option. Download the IWAN application. Note the location of the downloaded file.
Step 3 Start APIC-EM and open the APIC-EM Applications page.
a. Select: Settings (gear button) > App Management
b. Ensure that the Applications tab is displayed.
If a version of the IWAN app has been installed previously, it appears in the Installed Applications list.
c. Note the Drag&Drop Application file here box at the right side of the APIC-EM Applications page.
Step 4 Drag-and-drop the downloaded IWAN app installation file onto the Drag&Drop Application file here box. The new IWAN app appears in the list of applications, and is shown as Disabled.
When upgrading from a previous version of the IWAN app, the earlier version of IWAN continues to appear in the list at this point in the installation.
Step 5 Click Enabled for the new IWAN application. APIC-EM enables the new version. When upgrading from a previous version of the IWAN app, APIC-EM preserves the existing IWAN configuration.
The page indicates that the enable process is in progress. Wait for the process to complete. Installation time depends on the cluster size and other factors.
Step 6 When the installation and enabling are complete, clear the browser cache and refresh the APIC-EM Applications page. The Status column shows that the new IWAN app is enabled, and the Version column shows the new IWAN app version. Any previous version of the IWAN app is removed from the list.