B.3.1 Node Turn-up Phase 1
This section lists the non-trouble procedures (NTPs) needed to turn up a DWDM node using the installation-without-Cisco-TransportPlanner function. These procedures, and their accompanying tasks, must be completed at every network node before Phase 2 can begin.
1. G139 Verify Cisco TransportPlanner Reports and Files—Complete this procedure first.
2. G22 Verify Common Card Installation—Complete this procedure next.
3. G144 Provision a Multishelf Node—Complete this procedure as needed.
4. G23 Create Users and Assign Security —Complete this procedure to create CTC users and assign their security levels.
5. G24 Set Up Name, Date, Time, and Contact Information—Continue with this procedure to set the node name, date, time, location, and contact information.
6. G25 Set Battery Power Monitor Thresholds—Continue with this procedure to set the node battery power thresholds.
7. G26 Set Up CTC Network Access—Continue with this procedure to provision the IP address, default router, subnet mask, and other network configuration settings.
8. G27 Set Up the ONS 15454 for Firewall Access—Continue with this procedure if the ONS 15454 will be accessed behind firewalls.
9. G132 Provision OSI—Continue with this procedure if the ONS 15454 will be installed in networks with third-party, Open Systems Interconnection (OSI)-based network elements (NEs).
10. G29 Set Up SNMP —Complete this procedure if Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) will be used for network monitoring.
11. G30 Install the DWDM Cards —Complete this procedure to install the DWDM cards, including the OSCM, OSC-CSM, 32WSS, 32WSS-L, 40-WSS-C, 40-WSS-CE, 40-WXC-C, OPT-BST, OPT-BST-E, OPT-BST-L, OPT-AMP-L, OPT-AMP-17-C, OPT-PRE, 32MUX-O, 40-MUX-C, 32DMX-O, 32DMX, 32DMX-L, 40-DMX-C, 40-DMX-CE, 4MD-xx.x, AD-1C-xx.x, AD-2C-xx.x, AD-4C-xx.x, AD-1B-xx.x, AD-4B-xx.x, and MMU.
12. G31 Install the DWDM Dispersion Compensating Units—Complete this procedure, as needed, to install a dispersion compensating unit (DCU).
13. G179 Install the TXP, MXP, GE_XP, 10GE_XP, GE_XPE, 10GE_XPE, ADM-10G, and OTU2_XP Cards—Complete this procedure, as needed, to install transponder (TXP), muxponder (MXP), GE_XP, 10GE_XP, GE_XPE, 10GE_XPE, and ADM-10G cards.
14. G123 Install the Filler Cards—Complete this procedure, as needed, to install ONS 15454 filler cards.
15. G34 Install Fiber-Optic Cables on DWDM Cards and DCUs —Complete this procedure, as needed, to install the fiber-optic cables on the DWDM cards.
16. G140 Install Fiber-Optic Cables Between Terminal, Hub, or ROADM Nodes —Complete this procedure, as needed, to connect cards in a terminal, hub, or reconfigurable optical add/drop multiplexing (ROADM) node through the patch panel.
17. G141 Install Fiber-Optic Cables for Y-Cable Protection Modules —Complete this procedure, as needed, to connect fiber-optic cables to Y-cable modules from client TXP, MXP, GE_XP, 10GE_XP, GE_XPE, 10GE_XPE, and ITU cards.
18. G152 Create and Verify Internal Patchcords—Complete this procedure to calculate the DWDM cable connections.
19. G38 Provision OSC Terminations—Complete this procedure next.
Complete these procedures at each node in the network before you proceed to Phase 2 procedures.
B.3.2 Node Turn-up Phase 2
Complete these procedures at each network node after the Phase 1 procedures are complete.
1. G169 Calculate ANS Installation Values for Installation Without Cisco TransportPlanner—Complete this procedure first.
2. G37 Run Automatic Node Setup—Complete this procedure next.
3. G163 Upgrade Nodes in Single-Shelf Mode to Multishelf Mode—Complete this procedure as needed.
When all nodes are provisioned, continue with “Perform Node Acceptance Tests,” and complete all the ONS 15454 provisioning chapters in the sequence provided.
NTP-G169 Calculate ANS Installation Values for Installation Without Cisco TransportPlanner
This procedure calculates the installation values needed to provision the ANS parameters when the Cisco TransportPlanner NE Update file is not available.
All procedures in Node Turn-up Phase 1.
Onsite or remote
Note This procedure requires a Cisco TransportPlanner network design prepared with the installation-without-Cisco-TransportPlanner option enabled. This ensures that the ANS parameters can be provisioned using the installation-without-Cisco-TransportPlanner method and that the node is provisioned with the appropriate cards.
Note This procedure requires OSC connectivity to one or more adjacent nodes.
Note This procedure requires OPT-PRE cards to be installed.
Step 1 Complete the G46 Log into CTC at the node where you want to calculate the installation values for the installation-without-Cisco-TransportPlanner method. If you are already logged in, continue with Step 2.
Step 2 From the File menu choose View > Go to Network View.
Step 3 Verify that the node has connectivity to one or more adjacent nodes. If it does, continue with Step 4. If the node does not have connectivity to an adjacent node, check the physical cabling and OSC terminations. Complete the following procedures, as needed:
Step 4 Display the node in node view (single shelf mode) or multishelf view (multishelf mode), then click the Maintenance > DWDM > Automatic Node Turn-UP tabs (Figure B-2).
Figure B-2 Install Without TransportPlanner Tab
Step 5 Enter a value (in dB) in the Margin For Span Aging field. This value is subtracted from the near-end transmit power launch value to compensate for span aging.
Step 6 Click Calculate Installation Values. The following information appears for each side:
- Result—Displays the results of the installation value retrieval:
– Success—The ANS installation values were successfully calculated using values from the far-end node.
– Fail—None of the ANS installation values were successfully retrieved.
– Partial Fail—Some of the ANS installation values were successfully retrieved from the far-end node.
- Near End Receiving Power—The Side n Rx.Power Received ANS parameter value, where n = A through H.
- Near End Transmitting Power—The Side n Tx.Power Launch ANS parameter value, where n = A through H.
Step 7 If the Results column is Success for all sides, you have completed this procedure. If a Fail or Partial Fail result appears, review the information provided in the Note column:
- No parameter was calculated—Click the Provisioning > WDM-ANS > Provisioning tabs to view information about the parameters that could not be calculated.
- Some parameters were not calculated—Click the Provisioning > WDM-ANS > Provisioning tabs to view information about the parameters that could not be calculated.
- The FE node was unreachable—Check the connectivity to the adjacent node. Complete the procedures listed in Step 2 to verify both the physical fiber and OSC connectivity to the far-end node.
Stop. You have completed this procedure.