Intel® and The Cisco Media Blueprint
A Vision of Virtualization for Broadcasters
The Cisco Media Blueprint is a set of IP-based infrastructure and software that power cloud-scale media experiences and accelerate the creation, delivery, and monetization of immersive media (Figure 1). Designed for broadcasters and content providers, these solutions have been developed in concert with leading ecosystem partners to move largescale media content to the right people, at the right time, in the right format.
And now, Intel® has joined with Cisco to make the Media Blueprint even more capable, flexible and innovative. This partnership represents a powerful confirmation that IP-based, open systems solutions are broadcast’s future.
Cisco Media Blueprint solutions remove the historic barriers between content acquisition, production, and distribution. The result is secure, forward-looking infrastructure in which expansion is as easy as adding broadcast-aware Cisco networking equipment and storage solutions based on Intel® processors. Innovation is as simple as creating new channels at the click of a mouse, or deploying applications in mere moments on a virtual machine.
● Create, deliver, and monetize content with comprehensive, standards-based solutions from Cisco, Intel®, and joint partners representing the industry’s leading platforms and applications
● Operate existing broadcast workflows more efficiently and cost-effectively over an IP infrastructure built for today’s needs and tomorrow’s opportunities
● Adopt IP-based infrastructure and solutions in a measured, affordable manner with full support for flexible, and scalable all-IP environments
● Use comprehensive, end-to-end security that protects content and intellectual property from capture and creation through end-user consumption
● Remove the demands of IT administration from broadcast operations, automatically applying workflow and resource allocation at the network, application, or processor level, whichever delivers the greatest benefit
Figure 1. Cisco and Intel® Trajectory for Media Transformation
Protect Your Content. Protect Your Services. Protect Your Business.
Threats to content integrity and business continuity can come from anywhere (Figure 2). Cisco platforms based on Intel Architecture offer improved Platform boot and runtime security, Deep Packet Inspection, Compression and Encryption with DPDK to offer greater support against intrusion and malware.
By making security a fundamental element for IP-based broadcast, the Cisco Media Blueprint:
• Delivers end-to-end protection that’s built into the IP fabric itself
• Securely manages the full range of operations from content acquisition through end-user delivery
• Protects content from theft, piracy, damage, and disruption
• Dynamically matches the level of security to the risk and value of any type of content, service, or operation
Figure 2. Broadcast’s Threat Landscape
The Cisco Media Blueprint integrated approach to security provides comprehensive protection from creation to consumption, regardless of when or where an attack originates.
Broadcast’s Bridge from SDI to IP and Beyond
Leading broadcasters around the world use Cisco Media Blueprint solutions to gain the benefits of IP-based broadcast without having to worry about transport, virtualization, or other non-broadcast networking considerations. Cisco’s and Intel®’s combined leadership:
• Dramatically cuts the costs and time needed to adopt new technologies, both now and in the future
• Shifts production and distribution resources rapidly and easily, without having to over-provision to meet changing demands
• Quickly aligns content distribution with business opportunities to capitalize on rapidly changing media consumption patterns
• Minimizes the risk of moving from SDI to IP-based infrastructure through validated, best-of-breed applications and equipment that are designed for media-specific environments
A Virtual Data Center for Media Workloads
With cloud-based virtual data center models, broadcasters and content providers can automatically provision, manage, and scale physical and virtual resource pools for media applications and workloads.
Cisco’s Media Data Center based on the industry-leading Intel® Xeon® processor family is a turnkey solution, enabling broadcasters and content providers to build their own cloud-based virtual data center infrastructure and be up and running in minutes, instead of days or months. It creates a shared pool of compute, network, and storage resources, eliminating today’s media application silos while avoiding overprovisioning and underutilization of data center resources. It allows broadcasters and content providers to quickly respond to changing content production and distribution requirements with dynamic resource allocation.
The Cisco Media Data Center Solution includes:
• Network: Cisco Nexus® switches and SDN controllers with Intel® Inside
• Compute: Cisco Unified Computing SystemTM (Cisco UCS®) B-Series Blade Servers, C-Series Rack Servers, and M-Series Modular Servers with Intel® Xeon® Processors
• Storage: Cisco UCS S3260 Storage Server featuring dual server nodes powered by Intel® Xeon® Processors
• RedHat distribution
• ISV media partner certification program
• Single point of contact for full solution support from Cisco Technical Assistance Center (TAC)
The Power of Cisco and Intel®
The Cisco-Intel® partnership brings together the combined technological, commercial and marketing expertise of two of the world’s largest and most respected technology companies. This commitment puts the Cisco Media Blueprint at the forefront for broadcasters seeking a smart, affordable pathway forwards from proprietary systems.
• Media-specific code enhancements to Intel®’s Xeon® processors,
graphics processing units (GPUs), and storage controllers that directly
augment Cisco’s intelligent networking services and broadcast
• Enhanced virtualization capabilities through hardware-based acceleration designed for third-party production and distribution applications running on the Cisco Media Blueprint framework
• Storage and transport solutions with real-time encoding, transcoding, and decoding that do not require dedicated hardware and will not overwhelming local resources
• Policy and provisioning at the infrastructure level, enhancing system performance without customized hardware or software, or specialized training for staff
• Data collection for advanced analytics across the full spectrum from content capture to end-user consumption
• Unique new business opportunities through virtual reality (VR), augmented reality (AR), real-time statistics, and user-directed experiences, such as 3D fly-through instant replay for sports events
The Tools and Services to Make It Happen
Intel® and The Cisco Media Blueprint provides the framework for professional services that accelerate your ability to adopt IP-based solutions. The same partnerships that provide fully compatible, best-inclass offerings enable Cisco, Intel® and their partners to work together to bring new capabilities and business opportunities online for broadcast and media customers quickly and cost-effectively.
The transition to IP-based media production and distribution is an ideal opportunity for broadcasters and media companies to increase revenue in a rapidly changing media market. You can continue to enjoy the broadcast production and distribution solutions on which you already rely using the Cisco Media Blueprint as the foundation for a truly integrated operating environment. At the same time, you gain the capabilities of the best the broadcast industry has to offer with the flexibility and speed to market that only IP-based infrastructure can deliver.