PDF(44.5 KB) View with Adobe Reader on a variety of devices
Updated:September 15, 2005
Cisco's IP Communications Solutions is a comprehensive portfolio that addresses both the needs of enterprise and mid-market customers. Fully integrated IP telephony, unified messaging, voice, video and web conferencing, and IP customer contact solutions offer significant improvement in operational efficiencies, increased productivity and enhanced customer satisfaction-delivering measurable ROI.
Cisco Voice Provisioning Tool (VPT) is a unified set of provisioning interfaces and services that make the initial setup and ongoing administration of Cisco CallManager and Cisco Unity faster, easier, and more efficient. Cisco VPT provides a system-level approach to telephony management by combining the most common user attributes from multiple Cisco CallManager and Cisco Unity servers. This simplified interface maximizes productivity for administrators by enabling them to manage common daily administrative tasks such as Moves, Adds and Changes from a single console.
By providing a single point of entry for administrators, Cisco VPT creates a simple, workflow-based environment that makes managing IP Communications deployments more intuitive. Cisco VPT intelligently tracks Cisco telephony and messaging user data across multiple servers, sites and clusters on the network-even ones that are running different software versions. Cisco VPT allows extensive use of templates, cutting down the number of fields that need to be manually entered and dramatically reducing the number of administrative errors. For network troubleshooting, system managers can use the single unified interface of VPT to rapidly and easily view all of the data associated with any subscriber or phone in the network and get right to the heart of the problem.
For added security, Cisco VPT features roles-based access, so managers can grant different permission levels to system administrators. Cisco VPT also provides audit logs to track which administrators made changes when, and what changes were made to each record.
VOICE PROVISIONING TOOL FEATURES SUPPORTED
Cisco Voice Provisioning Tool supports the following Cisco IP Communications systems:
Cisco CallManager version 4.1(3) and higher (note: not supported for CallManger integrations with Active Directory)
Cisco Unity version 4.0(5) and higher
Subscriber Management Features
• Search for, view and sort subscribers based on name, username, extension and other key parameters
• Add, delete and modify subscriber records for both Cisco Unity and Cisco CallManager
• Associate a subscriber with an IP phone or create the phone from within the subscriber page
• Multi-Modify: Select a group a subscriber records and apply a change to all subscribers in the group with a single action
• Templates: Use subscriber templates to rapidly and easily create subscribers with similar features
Cisco IP Phone Management Features
• Search for, view and sort Cisco IP phones based on various key parameters
• Add, delete and modify Cisco IP phone data
• Add, delete and modify lines on an existing Cisco IP phone
• View shared lines and modify shared line settings on a Cisco IP Phone
• Subscribe or un-subscribe to IP phone services
• Restart or reset Cisco IP phones directly from the VPT interface
• Multi-Modify: Select a group a Cisco IP phone records and apply a change to all IP phones in the group with a single action
• Templates: Use IP phone templates to rapidly and easily create IP phones with similar features
• Web browser-based interface: Use the lightweight, web browser interface to access the Cisco VPT server from your laptop virtually anywhere.
• Secure provisioning: Ensure that your subscriber provisioning data is secure using HTTPS, IP Sec and TLS to build an end-to-end secure system.
• Audit logs: Track the date, time, administrator making the change, and subscriber or phone record that was edited using extensive VPT audit logs.
• Bulk Administration: Use spreadsheet based comma separated value (CSV) files to import or export large numbers of subscribers or phone records. Schedule the date and time you want these changes to take place to mange the impact on your IP Communications system.
• Role based access control: Define different levels of administrative privileges and assign administrators to these roles. Privileges can be configured by CallManger or Unity server and by read or write capabilities.
• Supports up to 20 system administrators simultaneously making changes on the IP Communications system.
• System administrators may use native product user interfaces or Cisco VPT with no risk of data inconsistency.
• Centrally manage IP Communications systems with up to 10 Cisco CallManager clusters and up to 10 separate Cisco Unity systems. These Cisco CallManager clusters and Cisco Unity servers may be remotely located.
• Manage IP Communications systems with multiple different software versions of Cisco Unity and Cisco CallManager. Simply download and install new software plug ins for Cisco VPT to connect to and manage new versions of supported products.
The following sections delineate the technical requirements necessary for a supported Cisco VPT deployment.
Cisco VPT is a server-based application that provides a web browser interface for administrators to access from their laptop PC. The table below specifies the web browsers and their minimum versions supported with Cisco VPT.
Internet Explorer (IE)
Version 6.0 and later
Version 1.7 and later
Cisco Media Convergence Servers (MCS) are recommended for use as the hardware platforms for Cisco VPT. The server platform should be dedicated for use as a Cisco VPT system. Note that Cisco VPT may not be deployed on the same server as your Cisco CallManager. The table below lists the Cisco MCS server models that have been qualified for use with VPT.
Supported Hardware Platforms (Cisco MCS Servers)
Cisco VPT is also supported on customer provided server hardware meeting minimum technical requirements. The server platform should be dedicated for use as a Cisco VPT system. The table below lists the minimum specifications for a customer provided servers for use as a hardware platform for VPT.
Cisco VPT is supported on both Cisco operation systems and on customer provided operating systems (for use with customer provided server hardware). The table below lists the supported operating systems for use with VPT.
Operating System Requirements
Standard edition, SP 4
Standard edition, SP 1
The following table provides part numbers and ordering information for Cisco VPT.
Cisco Voice Provisioning Tool, Software Only
CISCO IP COMMUNICATIONS SERVICES AND SUPPORT
Cisco IP Communications services and support reduce the cost, time, and complexity associated with implementing a converged network. Cisco Systems
® and its partners have designed and deployed some of today's largest and most complex IP Communications networks-meaning that they understand how to integrate an IP Communications solution into your network.
Cisco design tools and leading practices ensure that the solution best fits your business needs from the start, eliminating costly redesigns and downtime. Cisco proven methods ensure a sound implementation that will deliver the functions and features you expect. Support services include remote network operations, network management tools to administer the converged application and network infrastructure, and technical support services.
Through these services, your organization benefits from the experience gained by Cisco and its partners. If you take advantage of this valuable experience, you can create and maintain a resilient, converged network that will meet your business needs today-and in the future.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
For more information about the Cisco Voice Provisioning Tool, visit www.cisco.com/go/XXX or contact your local account representative.